Hot Fuss too popular to be good?
Sep 5, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rempert
2 million for a rock album these days is extremely good.

That is sad. I wonder how many copies are on hard drives throughout the world.

If an album can only manage 2 mill shipped after over a year near the top of the charts, then I can understand why the big labels are sweating.

I must confess, I don't follow charts, but either popular music is weak at the moment or maybe all the sales have shifted to hip hop and r & b?

I just listened to Hot Fuss for the second time and I remain impressed. Like the above poster mentioned, Mister Brightside is a good song. But "Smile Like You Mean It", "Somebody Told Me", and "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine" are stong as well IMO. Start to stop, this is a good pop record.

However, I don't listen to much radio so none the songs have burned burned out for me yet.

The recording is super hot though - absolutely dreadful.

Sep 5, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #17 of 25
I find the lyrics to Mr. Brightside particulary intriguing, he tries to be oblique in his lyrics, leaving them open to interpretation. I'd be curious as to what people make of the lyrics to the song:

I'm coming out of my cage
And I’ve been doing just fine
Gotta gotta gotta be down
Because I want it all
It started out with a kiss
How did it end up like this
It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss
Now I’m falling asleep
And she’s calling a cab
While he’s having a smoke
And she’s taking a drag
Now they’re going to bed
And my stomach is sick
And it’s all in my head
But she’s touching his—chest
Now, he takes off her dress
Now, let me go

I just can’t look its killing me
And taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it’s just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I’m Mr Brightside

I’m coming out of my cage
And I’ve been doing just fine
Gotta gotta gotta be down
Because I want it all
It started out with a kiss
How did it end up like this
It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss
Now I’m falling asleep
And she’s calling a cab
While he’s having a smoke
And she’s taking a drag
Now they’re going to bed
And my stomach is sick
And it’s all in my head
But she’s touching his—chest
Now, he takes off her dress
Now, let me go

I just can’t look its killing me
And taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibi
But it’s just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I’m Mr Brightside

I never...
I never...
I never...

Given that at least one other song of his (Somebody Told Me) deals with sexual confusion ("Well somebody told me/You had a boyfriend/Who looks like a girlfriend/That I had in February of last year), and that the video for Mr. Brightside has definite homo-erotic suggestions, when I hear that song, it sounds to me that the girl he was chasing engaged him or coerced him into engaing in a menage-a-trois, and not with another girl. It sounds like the song deals with the aftermath where the protagonist is feeling a little queezy about the whole thing, to the point that at the end he goes into total denial (with the "I Never" refrain).

Anyway, to me that song is far from the typical run-of-the-mill pop tune. I also really like the song where he sings "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier"...

Hmmm... maybe I *do* need to buy this one. If it wasn't so over-played on radio, I might have bought it a while ago.

Sep 5, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #18 of 25
If an album can only manage 2 mill shipped after over a year near the top of the charts, then I can understand why the big labels are sweating.

I must confess, I don't follow charts, but either popular music is weak at the moment or maybe all the sales have shifted to hip hop and r & b?

Nothing from 2005 has broken 5 million sales, as far as I know. I'm not sure how well those albums that are at 2-4 million after half a year will continue to sell down the road. If Mariah Carey's album doesn't make it with all it's potential hits, the industry can officially start to panic. I do think that a lot of people are either buying singles via download or pirating them via download instead of getting the albums.

Sep 5, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #19 of 25
Markl, that's a really interesting interpretation of the lyrics--I admit that I had never thought of them that way. My view on Mr. Brightside had always been that the guy suspected that this girl he was with or chasing was cheating (?) on him with another guy. He follows her and sees them. I think your view is more intriguing though.

Sep 6, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs
I actually like them a lot. I feel that most of their songs are quite catchy and actually are fun to listen to. Unlike some of the other bands that have come out who sound similar to the Killers, I find that the Killers may have some potential to do well in the future.

Agreed, I really like the album as something to listen to without over-analysing, just enjoying the tunes. Mr. Brightside is one of those songs that never fails to make me happy, Andy, You're a Star has one of those riffs that you swear has been around all your life when you first hear it, and Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll (I don't think it's on the US version of the album, you guys are missing out) is an anthem. Much of the album falls under 'filler' to me, but it's interesting filler that I quite like listening to. To each his own
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #21 of 25
New audioslave cd anyone? Now theres a very good cd that follows up an amazing debut album and it doesnt seem to be moving too many copies. I dont understand how a super group like that cant sell more albums.

If i like a band i go out and buy the cd the first day its out. If i dont buy it the first day its out theres slim chance i will buy it later on. ( for new music that is)

Sep 6, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by patrox89
New audioslave cd anyone? Now theres a very good cd that follows up an amazing debut album and it doesnt seem to be moving too many copies. I dont understand how a super group like that cant sell more albums.

If i like a band i go out and buy the cd the first day its out. If i dont buy it the first day its out theres slim chance i will buy it later on. ( for new music that is)

The reason I didn't buy the second Audioslave album is because I bought the first
tongue.gif

Sep 6, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Hmmm... maybe I *do* need to buy this one. If it wasn't so over-played on radio, I might have bought it a while ago.

This may play a big role in why they've only sold 2 million copies...

Sep 6, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll (I don't think it's on the US version of the album, you guys are missing out)

Yeah, not a bad song and is available in the U.S. with the Limited Edition version; the one I purchased.
cool.gif

I swear, even if your really like a band, one might as well wait for the enhanced or limited edition that will come out later in order to suck a little more money out of fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back