Horror movies - Your favorites?
Oct 12, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #61 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, wasn't House on Haunted Hill a comedy?

I know there's an older version I haven't seen, which I've heard is more focused on black comedy, but the newer one (which I'm talking about) is definitely not a comedy.

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #62 of 87
Quote:

I also have to give props to Interview with the Vampire, the movie that prompted Oprah to ask Tom Cruise, "How could you make such a horrible movie?" [sic] If you've seen it, you know the scene she was referring to....

I like this movie too, good entertainment (especially the acting of Tom Cruise, wonderful evil!), but I wouldn’t categorise it as “horror movie”.

A real scary movie: “The shinning”

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #63 of 87
Hands down, John Carpenter's "The Thing."
Also good are:
-The Ring (Original Japanese version)
-Alien
-The Descent
-Carrie

Oct 15, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #65 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachtschicht /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like this movie too, good entertainment (especially the acting of Tom Cruise, wonderful evil!), but I wouldn’t categorise it as “horror movie”.

Why not?

Oct 15, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #66 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Evil Dead II

I would have to agree. I'm not big into horror films, but I love Sam Raimi's work (followed him through the Hercules and Xena as well).

"hail to the king, baby"

Oct 15, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #67 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recent highlights:

Slither
The Hills Have Eyes
Jeepers Creepers
28 Days Later
Dawn of the Dead (remake)
The Cave

Classics and personal faves:

The Thing
Evil Dead
The Exorcist
The Omen
The Amittyville Horror
The Living Dead Trilogy
Fright Night

Have you seen The Descent? 10X better than The Cave.

My favorites in no particular order are Night of the Living Dead (color), 28 Days Later, The Descent, The Hills Have Eyes, Evil Dead, Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness.

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #68 of 87
Quote:

Why not?

Because this movie did not scared me, not enough elements of scene-related fright or suspense. In my opinion it is more an epic melodrama than a horror movie.

Oct 15, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #69 of 87
Two movies that come to mind are the Dracula movie that I saw at the 14 cent matinee I used to go to in the late 40s/early 50s. It was a double feature along with Frankenstein, but that old black and white Dracula movie scared the Beegeezis right outta me!

Another one that startled me quite a bit was a "mummy" movie made in the 30s with Borris Karloff on the "Shock Theater" TV show on a Saturday evening in about '57 round midnight.

I was up all alone and had a Crossman B-B pistol under my pillow on the couch in front of the TV "just in case!" and yup; I dozed off and woke off just in time to see the mummy moving along with one outstretched arm, dragging one foot behind him just ready to nab the distracted Archaeologist working at his desk in the desert.

Thankfully I missed the mummy and only hit the lamp above the TV.

I quickly ran to my room and after looking under the bed and in the closet with my flashlight, I jumped into bed.

Last I saw; that lamp still had a little dent in the metal shade.

....I rotated it 180 degrees the next morning!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #72 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachtschicht /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because this movie did not scared me, not enough elements of scene-related fright or suspense. In my opinion it is more an epic melodrama than a horror movie.

Well, I guess we have different definitions of what a horror movie is. Thanks to modern Hollywood so-called "horror" movies, I have a lot of contempt for films that get their mileage out of lots of "bumps". Cheap scares, like a skull jumping out in a haunted house, aren't horror for me. I want films that genuinely creep me out on a deep human level, and Interview works for me in that way. ***SPOILERS*** Particular highlights for me include: Louis and Lestat debate morality while a prostitute screams that she doesn't want to die; Claudia cuts Lestat's throat; Woman killed on stage in a "mock" murder; Louis finds Claudia and Madeleine burnt to ash.
I should add that I'm a big fan of older horror films: the Hammer films, the Universal horrors, and the Val Lewton pictures. F107plus5 mentioned the Mummy movies - the original is a classic. It starts very silly, but, as it goes on, the slow pacing and sonic ambience make some parts of it seem quite nightmarish. (IMHO!)

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #73 of 87
Bram Stokers Dracula
The Thing
Kaltiki (japanese)
Rodan/Mothra (japanese)

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #74 of 87
Alfred Hitchock - The Birds

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #75 of 87
Alfred Hitchcock - Psycho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back