Horror movies - Your favorites?
Oct 7, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #46 of 87
I'm not a huge horror movie fan, I'm not sure why really, but here are some of my favorites:

Nosferatu
28 Days Later
Psycho (the REAL version)
The Shining

I keep hearing about the Last House on the Left-- is it really worth checking out?

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #47 of 87
Faced with this question the first movie I always think of is Horror Express, a great campy 70s movie starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

Sinus1982 said it's not, but I would say Alien is a horror movie - it's a horror/sci-fi (though the impact has dulled with familiarity). It's certainly scarier than something like Evil Dead, which is a fun watch but is definitely not horror, in the sense of arousing genuine horror or fear. (Starship Troopers 2 was also a surprisingly good low-budget horror/sci-fi.)

I can't believe no-one has mentioned Night of the Living Dead! Definitely a scary movie, though maybe not so much since I watched the version with commentary by the MST3K guy. But I've read a review from when NOTLD first came out - parents dropped their kids off to watch it while they went shopping or whatever, because most horror movies then (as now) were harmless campy fun. The reviewer described the dreadful silence that came over the theatre as this utterly nihilistic movie played out. Little girls were crying into their popcorn. Now that's a horror movie.

I also have to give props to Interview with the Vampire, the movie that prompted Oprah to ask Tom Cruise, "How could you make such a horrible movie?" [sic] If you've seen it, you know the scene she was referring to....

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #48 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sinus1982 said it's not, but I would say Alien is a horror movie - it's a horror/sci-fi (though the impact has dulled with familiarity). It's certainly scarier than something like Evil Dead, which is a fun watch but is definitely not horror, in the sense of arousing genuine horror or fear. (Starship Troopers 2 was also a surprisingly good low-budget horror/sci-fi.)

OK, just to say Alien is no horror movie was bad. But you have to see the whole series and the way, every film has another style and even a different genre. And so I'd say Alien is more a thriller than a simple horror movie.

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #49 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have to give props to Interview with the Vampire, the movie that prompted Oprah to ask Tom Cruise, "How could you make such a horrible movie?" [sic] If you've seen it, you know the scene she was referring to....

Indeed. They way the trash that classic Mustang convertible is outrageous!

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #51 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinisterm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Event Horizon here too.

"Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see." *chills*

Have to check that new movie called Sunshine, many people have compared it to Event Horizon, so could be really good too.

Sunshine is not a horror movie strictly speaking, but it is so much better than Event Horizon.

-Ed

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #52 of 87
Event Horizon is a horror-retelling of Disney's The Black Hole. Minus the robots (which really did nothing useful but pad the runtime in the original).

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #53 of 87
I found Event Horizon disappointing, partly because the beginning led me to think it might end with some sort of profound comment on the nature of evil. Instead it was just a haunted house in space. Also, the second time I watched it, I was annoyed by Sam Neill's simplistic explanation of wormhole physics to the spaceship crew: these guys are astronauts - they should know this stuff already! Or at least be able to grasp it without folding a piece of paper and stabbing a pen through it.

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #57 of 87
- Psycho (original)
- Halloween (original)
- House on Haunted Hill
- Rosemary's Baby
- Nosferatu

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #59 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- Psycho (original)
- Halloween (original)
- House on Haunted Hill
- Rosemary's Baby
- Nosferatu

Um, wasn't House on Haunted Hill a comedy?

Oct 12, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #60 of 87

Users who are viewing this thread

Back