Hornet lacking in bass definition?
Jul 9, 2008 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MatsudaMan

aka JohannesBrahms, KittlesLittles, Bigglesworth.
I'm listening to Mozart's Requiem right now (what a piece!) on HD580's/Hornet/Sony NW-HD5 352kbps, and I'm focusing on the cellos and basses, and I think that the definition and overall grip in the bass is a bit lacking. Is this something that I can blame on the Hornet or my HD580's? The Hornet gives a punchy presentation, but I have a feeling it's not the "end all be all" of precision and clarity. For the most part, I love the sound sig of my Senns, but they can sound a bit bloated/boomy in the bass region - abundant bass, but not defined or "grippy". If any one has anything to chime in on, I'm all ears!

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 8
Oops, wrong forum.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 8
We are in the amps section of the forum, but this is the full-size forum though, but at least its an amp. Take out the guts and put it in a bigger box and run it with a wall transformer and repost
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 8
I owned an original Hornet and heard a well burned in Hornet M and I can say that it's definitely not the last word in how it presents bass (or the midrange and treble for that matter).

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 8
Lacrimosa always gets my feet tapping.

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 8
Wrong forum maybe, but the Hornet isn't the last word in everything-definition, never mind bass. Admittedly, the 300 ohm Senns need more current than the portable Hornet can give them, but there are a lot of other portable amps that can do better when it comes to definition, starting with a lowly Porta Corda.

The Hornet has a very liquid quality to its sound and it has a fair bit of punch, though that's mostly psychoacoustic and a result of boosted midbass and lower treble. On rock and some electronic music, it works, but when you give it something more complex, you start hearing problems.

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 8
Catscratch,
Thanks so much for the info - what you say totally makes sense. When I listen to rock or jazz, the hornet really sings, but when I'm in the classical/orchestra mood, it tends to kind of let me down - not totally, just that it gets a little congested when things get complex...like you said.

Do you think that an XP-7 or an HR-2 would be a big upgrade? I've been dreaming about the Raptor, but it's a little out of my price range. Anyway, thanks for the reply.
redface.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Catscratch,
Thanks so much for the info - what you say totally makes sense. When I listen to rock or jazz, the hornet really sings, but when I'm in the classical/orchestra mood, it tends to kind of let me down - not totally, just that it gets a little congested when things get complex...like you said.

Do you think that an XP-7 or an HR-2 would be a big upgrade? I've been dreaming about the Raptor, but it's a little out of my price range. Anyway, thanks for the reply.
redface.gif

I generally agree with all of the above. It's funny you close with the question you do. As I've said before, I've hung onto my XP-7 for these exact reasons. I think you would find the XP-7 reall is a big upgrade. Even in portable mode, you would notice an upgrade, but with the isolated power supply, yeah, big upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back