Hornet Burn-in Experience From a Non-Golden Ears' Perspective ~190 hrs
Jun 8, 2007 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

forsberg

500+ Head-Fier
I got my hornet on June 2nd and will be updating this thread throughout my hornet burn-in process. As the title suggests, I am not a guy who has golden ears. I can't tell the difference between 320k vs FLAC files (heck, even most 192k I cannot tell a difference). I cannot tell the difference between 44.1khz or 48khz. I cannot tell the difference between cables (digital or analog). I don't do a lot of critical listening as most of my listening is done at work or during my commute.

Why am I writing this thread when there are already many other threads describing hornet burn-in?

Well I am skeptical of burn-in, to me at least. The biggest noticeable difference to me was upgrading from cheap ibuds to my current 5 pro's. When I had my first amp, the pa2v2, I did not notice much of an improvement over my stock ipod mini (1st gen) - if I listened carefully for every note then maybe 1 in 5 tracks I can notice the bass a bit boomier. That's it - and I had to pay REAL close attention to hear the differences. So after reading those threads about the sucker punch in the head or how new hornet sounds like total crap vs. 200hr burnt-in one, I thought to myself there is NO way it can make that much of a difference - these guys must have golde - no, platinum ears to be able to describe the difference so drastically.

So now I will be describing my experience of the hornet burn-in process, from an average listener point of view.

Current burn-in time: ~190 hours

Setup: Pro.DAC -> Hornet -> 5 Pro (90% of my listening time) Meizu miniplayer -> Hornet -> 5 Pro (10%)

0 Hours

Plugged it in, switched it on for first time, and I was surprised at how silent it was. With the pa2v2, there was always a hiss even if you didn't even plug anything to its input. With the hornet, it is dead silent. Played first track (Linkin Park - Given Up) and the music just starts from its "blackness". Notice an immediate impact and a definite improvement over headphone out of Meizu. The bass is pretty strong on the Meizu already, but the Hornet just takes it to a new level - it's actually giving me a headache. The overall sound just seems "bigger". Didn't notice anything special with the mids or highs, maybe because I was just so overwhelmed by the bass.

As for input from DAC, the sound is slighty better. There is even more "blackness" to it than the meizu. Most of my comments from this point on will be from this setup, as my future listenings from my DAP will be on a bus so don't really pay much attention to the details.

One of my biggest gripes with the pa2v2 is that the volume knob is not accurate at all during low volume levels, which is the max I can stand with my IEMs. Whenever you turned the knob just a bit, either one of the channels go out, or it goes way too loud way too fast. It was a pain to deal with. With the hornet, no matter how low you turn the volume knob, it just works as instructed.

75 Hours

I explictly noted this point in time because from trose49's thread, he mentioned from 75-190 some of the bass started to subside. To me there is no difference at all and then I started to think "Man, see this burn-in stuff is just head-fi voodoo talk". I just thought it sounded exactly the same as when I first got the amp.

120 Hours

OK here we go. I finally start to notice a little bit difference. Now, I don't know if it is my ears adjusting to the amp or what, but it seems like the timbre for the high notes has improved. Guitars sound more real when I am listening to Eric Clapton's Unplugged than at the 0 hour point. Note that it's not a "WOW the guitars!!" effect but more of a "Hmmm, yeah I can hear it is better by a bit" effect. But if I am walking on the street there'd be no way I'd hear this difference with all the traffic. I also noticed that there is more weight to the notes, and I hear more of the different instruments played at the upper range that I didn't particularly notice before - can hear this while playing Michael Buble's Call Me Irresponsible album. Surprisingly these high notes do not hurt my ears (sibilence?) but it just seems to flow with the music. As for the bass, it no longer gives me a pounding as it doesnt have that insane boom I got at first. Again, don't know if it is ears just getting used to it or a real burn-in effect.

140 Hours
OK, brought my work rig home to continue burning in throughout the weekend. It is now Saturday morning, and I haven't noticed much change within my last posting, but for kicks I just went back to listening the Meizu headphone out for a while. What used to sound very good to me, now seems very... flat on a line. It sounds like there is a blanket covering up the music that I TOTALLY didn't notice before prior to the hornet. Testing with Buble's album again, the best I can describe is that with the hornet I can feel the air around him. In between each line he sings, I can really hear the echo around his voice (decay?), crisp and clear. However now straight out of the meizu, Buble's voice sounds like he is trying to sing in a smoky building. If this is supposed to be the "downtime" of the hornet, I honestly do not feel that it is so. It is a great amp. I am loving how the guitars sound now, and I am starting to notice a bit more of the cymbols playing their own beats rather than just something far in the background.

190 Hours
Nothing much different than last post. Did some A/B comparisons between the hornet and pa2v2 just now, and it sounds VERY different. The PA2v2 is kinda like a beer that has been poured too much head and the foam is all over the place, everything is out of control. The Hornet is like the refined beer poured with exactly one inch of foam. That being said, there is really no such thing as a bad beer, so I still appreciate my old amp. I can think of one situation where I WOULD prefer pa2v2 over hornet right now, and that is for reggae. On another note, I find that I really can't listen to anything with hiss in the original recordings anymore. I got too used to the quietness of the hornet that playing old recordings and then hearing hiss just doesn't cut it now. It was never a problem with pa2v2 because there was hiss to begin with, so any recordings old or new sounds ok. Hmm, an amp so good that makes me listen to less variety of music... the irony.

So that is all for now. Will be updating this throughout my journey to the 400 hour mark. I still don't believe I will get sucker punched to the head when it reaches 300 hrs, but we'll see.

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 23
Great writeup forsberg. I look forward to reading your future comments.

Personally, I could care less whether burn in exists or not. My Tomahawk sounded great from the first notes, and still sounds great today, some 500 hours later.

I'm not really one to analyze subtle changes in overall SQ (even though I have very well trained ears having studied jazz performance at university). I tend to focus on the music mostly. I probably focus on the sound only when I find it to be deficient in some way and distracting from my enjoyment of the music or whem I'm really trying to evaluate a piece of gear.

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally, I could care less whether burn in exists or not. My Tomahawk sounded great from the first notes, and still sounds great today, some 500 hours later.

I'm not really one to analyze subtle changes in overall SQ (even though I have very well trained ears having studied jazz performance at university). I tend to focus on the music mostly. I probably focus on the sound only when I find it to be deficient in some way and distracting from my enjoyment of the music or whem I'm really trying to evaluate a piece of gear.

Yeah I totally hear ya. I have these drum tracks from this album called "Percussion Today" that tests out the soundstage pretty good with drums banging here and there. But after a while I was just like, "What am i listening to? This is dumb!" and just went back to regular music I enjoyed

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 23
Congratulations on joining the Hornet club, forsberg.

Like you I have a healthy scepticism of 'Burn in' for anything.

However, for the Hornet I think the threads are true. I think the timing of SQ changes might change from user to user (perhaps on how hard the Hornet has to drive the headphones, perhaps on the source sound being used - pink noise, radio or other) but, overall, at the end of approximately 400+ hours (as Ray recommends) the sound is distinctly balanced, clear and detailed.

I recently burned a 250+ hour model to the 400 point and it was definitely worth the investment of time. When I got it at 250+ hours the bass seemed too emphasised and a bit mid-bassy to me. At 400+ hours it's in its place in the mix, as is everything.

Keep burning, forsberg, it is worth it.
etysmile.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 23
I'm currently at about 350 hours burn-in for my Hornet and I must confess that I'm not blessed with audiophile genes, either.

If I listen intently to very familiar songs then I notice a slight variation in improvement from hour 0 but it hasn't been anything that has knocked me unconscious...

Like you mentioned, I'm not sure if it is either the fact that I know what to listen for now, or if it is the actual burn-in.

Either way, the 400 hours is coming up for me so I guess it wouldn't matter as long as it still improves the sound.

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 23
I, too, did not believe in burn in, at least for those of us with average hearing. I think some people can hear things I can't, but I also think that a lot of people around here just get on the burn-in bandwagon. The Hornet, however, was my first experience with burn in being true for me, and mostly because I thought something was seriously wrong with my amp after I no longer remember how many hours in (50ish-100ish ?). It was congested, lost it's punch, and I genuinely thought it needed to go back to Ray. I even asked friends to listen because I thought I was crazy. About 20-30hrs later, it opened back up. I can't say I've noticed anything dramatic, or even subtle since then (I have a few amps and I like to switch things around), but I will say that it's probably one of my best head-fi purchases to date, burn in or no.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 23
I think one of the more tougher tasks is to actually trying to remember what hour x was like compared to hour y. But I don't really pay much attention to that - I'm just going to listen to it as I would normally and if I can't pick up the subtle differences, then it's probably not important enough for me to note down.

But yeah, either way, this is a great amp, burnt in or not.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 23
The hard part of that X and Y is that you need to listen to the same track to compare. I prefer a lot of variety typically, so I don't often listen to the same track 20 times a day.

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 23
Gratz on finally getting your Hornet! I'll be following this thread to see what you think about it later.

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 23
Just wanted to add that, unless you listen to SACD's, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 44.1khz sample rate or a 48khz sample rate, as CDs only sample at the former rate. And great writeup; I look forward to your changing impressions.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #15 of 23
Well, it's good to hear someone making what sounds like an honest attempt at detecting burn-in, so I appreciate that. I wish I had the kind of time/energy to devote to such an interesting hobby/project! I wonder if I can get the NIH to find a study ....

Anyway, I wanted to highlight rlanger's comments because I wholeheartedly agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back