HORNET (200Hours) VS. HORNET (0 seconds) HORNET OWNERS MUST READ!!!!!!
Jan 12, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #136 of 158
I am with Gordie on this one.

I just got my Hornet, and straight out of box, it already sounds great. I really do not notice forward sound. Maybe because I have own forward sounding headphone and canalphone. The only thing that I notice is that the bass is not as textured, but I pretty sure with burn in this will be changed.

Therefore, below is the common complains about the unburned-in Hornet from my point of view:

1) Compressed soundstage -- I do not observe this.
2) Piercing High -- Nope. High is fine to me.
3) Not textured bass -- Yes, bass is not as textured as I would like, but the impact is there, and I like it.

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #137 of 158
A few others have made this request here, but it has been ignored, amid all the vitriol, so I will ask it again.

How do you burn in an amp?

Does the music you play matter? Do the headphones you use matter? Does the volume setting matter? Does it matter whether you use the battery, or plug it into the wall?

If there is a thread that addresses these issues, I apologize. If you direct me there, I (and several others) will appreciate it.

Can someone suggest a CD or a download site where I can get appropriate sounds? Or should I just play my favorite music? Is it OK to use the stock ipod earbuds for the burn-in? (I'd rather not use my Shures, unless you think they too can improve through burn-in.)

I have used my Hornet for well over 100 hours now. I've always loved it, but it is the only amp I've ever tried. I of course can't tell if the sound has improved since I got it.

Thanks.

Jan 15, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #138 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_ba
A few others have made this request here, but it has been ignored, amid all the vitriol, so I will ask it again.

How do you burn in an amp?

Does the music you play matter? Do the headphones you use matter? Does the volume setting matter? Does it matter whether you use the battery, or plug it into the wall?

If there is a thread that addresses these issues, I apologize. If you direct me there, I (and several others) will appreciate it.

Can someone suggest a CD or a download site where I can get appropriate sounds? Or should I just play my favorite music? Is it OK to use the stock ipod earbuds for the burn-in? (I'd rather not use my Shures, unless you think they too can improve through burn-in.)

I have used my Hornet for well over 100 hours now. I've always loved it, but it is the only amp I've ever tried. I of course can't tell if the sound has improved since I got it.

Thanks.

Firstly let me say that the very existance of burn in is debated (as you can see from this thread and others). That said, by listening to your cans through this amplier you are in fact burning it in. You need to connect the amp to your source and also have a pair of cans on hand (any cans work, they don't have to be your normal cans or anything). And you need to play some music or souunds from it. Personally I don't beleive that it matters what you play through it. If you've got a favorite disc, contimplation, whatever that's good. There are also so called burn in discs that have sounds on it which can also work. Some would say that you need to go from a certain frequency to another frequency (let's say 20hz-30khrz). Personally I don;t necessarily but it, becasuue by simply using it as normal you are in fact burning it in.

Jan 15, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #139 of 158
Right when I first got my Hornet on the 29 of December, I distinctively remember that my reaction was a definite negative. I felt that the sound was very innaccurate and very forward. The sound was also on the bright side.

I made a note in the 61st hour that the harshness has gone completely and that it was much less muddy and innaccurate. I made another note in the 121.5 hour and I remember it was a bit less forward. I did not make anymore notes until today when my Hornet reached it's 302.5 hour. No longer was the sound bright, harsh or inaccurate, it was in fact very well controlled and I can feel the soundstage and positioning in the various recordings that I used to test it today. I listened to the Orff Carmina Burana and Jazz at the Pawnhouse and the soundstage was there. The instruments appear to be much more recessed than ever.

Just my .02c
biggrin.gif

[Setup used: iTunes ripped 320kbps MP3 -> 4G iPod -> Line-out -> RnB Sky Blue Mini -> RSA Hornet (w/ 302.5 hours) -> HD650, ER4S

Jan 16, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #140 of 158
I'm a firm believer in burn in.Especially,when amps are concerned.It takes x amount of times for the capacitors to charge and discharge before they settle into their natural state.

This applies to the power supply and signal path sections.To me there is a noticeable difference in sound over time after burn in-not a huge difference but a smoother tighter sound .The treble is not as harsh,mids smooth out,and base becomes tighter.

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #141 of 158
I finally got my Hornet. I put off going to get it because of the horrible cold snap going on in Helsinki right now, and because I had the flue. For the record, I'm also a believe in amp burn-in. If any amp drove this home, it was the Portaphile. Talk about night and day.

So, how's the Hornet? Well, I haven't done any critical listening, since I'm listening to unfamiliar music, but is it fun? Oh yes. Is it foward? Yeah, it is. Is it a bit hard? Yeah, it is. Do I expect that at this point? Pretty much. Although I'm surprised that it's so enjoyable anyway.

So my conclusion is that pre-burned in Hornet is much fun to listen to. Go ahead, listen to it, have a blast! Then, after 300 hours, let's see where we stand.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #142 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
So my conclusion is that pre-burned in Hornet is much fun to listen to. Go ahead, listen to it, have a blast! Then, after 300 hours, let's see where we stand.
smily_headphones1.gif

x2

I've had mine for less than a week. It sounds pretty good with no burn in but I'm glad to know that things will improve and smooth out.

Jan 19, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #143 of 158
With 498.5 hours through my Hornet, I can tell you it definitely sounds much better than when I first got it. There is a much deeper soundstage, albeit still not enough compared to speakers. I also just got my RnB Sky Blue Mini V3 and it makes the Hornet sound soo nice. At 200 hours, I didn't notice any major difference from when it was 100hours. At 300+ hours though, the Hornet do really shine! Mind you when I first got it, I was like "What, why is the sound so muddy?!" I don't joke, my headphones actually sounded WORSE through my Hornet than straight out of my iPod!

Jan 19, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #144 of 158
yup... i just got my hornet few days back, still listening to it while letting it burn, definitely it sounds better off the headphone jack den from the hornet
frown.gif
... still about 60 hours i reckon, hopefully things will only get better
smily_headphones1.gif
*keeps fingers crossed*

Jan 19, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #145 of 158
I am reaching 168 hours on my Hornet, and I think I finally noticed the compressed soundstage. I would say it is a bit smaller than the headphone jack out of iPod.

I did like the first 60 hours of Hornet more though.

However, I am very looking forward to the sound of Hornet after 300+ hours.

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #146 of 158
*shrug* I'm not going to dispute if someone says unburned in, it's muddy for them. We're all using different gear and synergy plays a role here, IMO. I can say that it's forward, a tad hard, but not muddy. I'm using a sky blue v1, ipod 5g, and the much-maligned-with-misinformation-on-headfi Sensas. And yeah, it sounds better than the headphone jack or else I wouldn't be using it.

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #147 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
I am reaching 168 hours on my Hornet, and I think I finally noticed the compressed soundstage. I would say it is a bit smaller than the headphone jack out of iPod.

I did like the first 60 hours of Hornet more though.

However, I am very looking forward to the sound of Hornet after 300+ hours.

Sorry to say this but I have never heard any of the Hornets at any stage of burn-in to have a compressed soundstage. Could it be that I am getting to old.
Ray Samuels

Jan 20, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #148 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Sorry to say this but I have never heard any of the Hornets at any stage of burn-in to have a compressed soundstage. Could it be that I am getting to old.
Ray Samuels

Hi, Ray

I have gone back and listened to the Hornet again. This is how I feel about the soundstage for a Hornet between 130 hours and 170 hours. With Sony MDR-SA5000 straight out of my Audigy 2 NX, I can feel the music scatters around me, and I feel I am surrounded by the music.

Onto the Hornet, I feel the soundstage comes from two sides shooting music at my ears, and I am missing the surrounded-by-the music feeling. I feel little music coming from the front and the back. There is still separation among instruments though. However, I did notice one exception though. There is one track that I listened, and it is pretty much pure vocals. This particular track I actually feel the soundstage is super duper awesome as the voice is coming from center, back, and the side. Could this be because Hornet is better at projecting the actual soundstage that is embedded in the music track. I primary listen to Japanese Pop, Korean Rock, and Korean Pop.

For me, I actually like the soundstage of the Hornet when it is between 0 - 60 hours of burn in (OK, I have not heard 300+ hours unit. I am just saying between 0 ~ 60 and 130 ~ 170 hours. I prefer the Hornet that is 0 ~ 60 hours) To me, at that stage, It is like people singing in front of me while the music instruments playing at the background. It is more 3D.

Anyway, I am writing this to just let others to come and confirm that this is a sympton of an unburned in Hornet. As you can see now, I am not the only one who noticed this.

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #149 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Ray Samuels

Hi, Ray --

As I wrote long ago, the virgin Hornet with zero hours on it did sound to me to have a comressed sound stage, somewhat noisy upper end, less controlled bass, "congested" sound — lacking air and space around performers.

All these issues cleared up beautifully past the 300 hour mark.

It is interesting that some users hear at least some of these problems, and some don't!?!?

Jan 20, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #150 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Hi, Ray --

As I wrote long ago, the virgin Hornet with zero hours on it did sound to me to have a comressed sound stage, somewhat noisy upper end, less controlled bass, "congested" sound — lacking air and space around performers.

All these issues cleared up beautifully past the 300 hour mark.

It is interesting that some users hear at least some of these problems, and some don't!?!?

YES! Congested sound is what I got. I don't think muddy was quite the right word. At over 500 hours now, mine is very very enjoyable indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back