Hopw much would you pay for Denon D2000 headphones in Canada?
Aug 1, 2008 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

milkweg

Banned
A local dealer will bring me in D2000 headphones for $349.99. Denon Canada list price is $399.99 CAD. Do you consider $349.99 CAD a fair price for these headphones in Canada? I see buy.com in the U.S. is selling them for $196.99 USD right now so $349.99 seems steep to me.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 6
OK, thanks. 2 problems with that though, I don't have Paypal or eBay account and don't really want one either and would prefer not to deal with customs etc.. But I have a friend with Paypal and eBay account so may ask him to order them for me. He may not be my friend for long though if there are complications with the order.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... He may not be my friend for long though if there are complications with the order.

In the recent years I have bought many items in the states and even worldwide. If you are lucky you're package will pass the customs without being checked. Otherwise it will be inspected and depending of the declared value and where the item have been manufactured they will charge you a tax. IIRC it's around 21% of the declared value for items made in USA. You will pay the tax surcharge at your post office if the sender ship with USPS. I suggest you not to let the item be shipped with other carrier than USPS as some like UPS or Fedex will charge you horrible costs for customs service.

Let's say you pay the item 200$US + shipping + currency conversion + customs tax, I think you will still save some money.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 6
I consider $350 a fair price since you are buying from an authorized dealer.

But if you are willing to forgo that, you won't approach anything close to $200 USD unless you buy from a US seller.

Dealing with customs is no big deal at all, I've bought literally dozens of big ticket items. As long as you avoid ground transport like UPS Ground, Fedex Ground, you only have to pay GST and PST if applicable when the package shows up at your door (+ maybe a customs handling fee of $5).

So take your pick, save a bit of money but have a little hassle or buy from your dealer and no worries about couriers.

Either that, or find a used pair from a seller in Canada (not parting with mine, ever)

Since the Denon is a little fragile, maybe the peace of mind of a real warranty would be worth the extra money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back