Hope to amaze my friend
Jan 19, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #16 of 26
Good to know to disregard anything you say from now on. As reading anything else you further have to comment on headphones I'm sure will only piss me off. Not worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard Bose On Ear. Soundstage is non existent in any headphones. Who cares if Bose soundstage is 1\100, whereas k701 is 5\100 (whereas "100" is good speakers' soundstage)

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It amazes me that people make music purchasing decisions based on listening to the el cheapo Koss headphones (half of them broken) at Borders. How can you tell anything about whether a CD sounds good or not based on that?

I can enjoy good music quite well on a non-hifi system. Hell, Koss even makes some reasonably cheap 'phones (PortaPro) that sound excellent - I prefer listening to music on PortaPros over a lot of expensive stuff I've heard.

As for the general population's lack of interest in hifi, it's just different priorities. For various reasons, music has become a background activity - people listen while driving, exercising, working, texting, etc. The "soundtrack to your life" thing - and that's fine, it's a personal choice. These days far fewer ever sit and listen like us. Who can blame someone for not wanting to invest large amounts of money into a system they're not going to focus on 100%?

There's so much more competition for the entertainment dollar and time these days than there was in the golden age of hifi. Today's culture emphasizes getting more new stuff - cheaper and newer take precedence over lasting quality. Plus, who can blame the general population for ignoring hifi as a pursuit when so much in hifi audio is exorbitantly overpriced? How do you explain away $6K+ cables and $10K+ preamps, etc, without making the hobby look foolish? Think of how much money that is outside of a hifi audio context.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard Bose On Ear. Soundstage is non existent in any headphones. Who cares if Bose soundstage is 1\100, whereas k701 is 5\100 (whereas "100" is good speakers' soundstage)

Have you heard the soundstage of the K1000 or GS-1000?

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #19 of 26
Some people automatically view headphones as inferior to speakers. I'm not sure it's worth trying to convince them otherwise. Personally, I vastly prefer headphones to speakers because portability is a priority of mine.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #20 of 26
I agree with what you said.

But, I can't help but hope sometime after I'm done with my degree, I can focus on saving for your Zana Deux. That is just the sexiest Headphone Amp.
- Course means more time and money spent on tubes too, hmm will see if I have that kind of patience vs solid state, turn on and run. I will more likely look to find someone to build me a beta22/sigma22 instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can enjoy good music quite well on a non-hifi system. Hell, Koss even makes some reasonably cheap 'phones (PortaPro) that sound excellent - I prefer listening to music on PortaPros over a lot of expensive stuff I've heard.

As for the general population's lack of interest in hifi, it's just different priorities. For various reasons, music has become a background activity - people listen while driving, exercising, working, texting, etc. The "soundtrack to your life" thing - and that's fine, it's a personal choice. These days far fewer ever sit and listen like us. Who can blame someone for not wanting to invest large amounts of money into a system they're not going to focus on 100%?

There's so much more competition for the entertainment dollar and time these days than there was in the golden age of hifi. Today's culture emphasizes getting more new stuff - cheaper and newer take precedence over lasting quality. Plus, who can blame the general population for ignoring hifi as a pursuit when so much in hifi audio is exorbitantly overpriced? How do you explain away $6K+ cables and $10K+ preamps, etc, without making the hobby look foolish? Think of how much money that is outside of a hifi audio context.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #21 of 26
Hmm where is all this new negativity coming from QQQ? You used to be such a positive guy.

The Bose OE doesn't sound anything like the AD900, and I can say that because I actually DID hear them both. Furthermore, a k701 would have 200/100 soundstage, if you think that is 5/100 than you have only been to concerts in closed soccer-stadiums where the reverb is all around you and totally messes up the sound.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #22 of 26
I remember comparing my cousin's OE to my pair of PX200's with just an iPod. I can't exactly remember why but I definitely preferred the PX200's over the OE especially with the price difference.

Maybe it's just my irrational hatred of Bose...

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #23 of 26
To me there is nothing strange that people whose professional duties are tied with music react calmly to any devices reproducing it.

I know a lot of professional musicians as well as world superstars in classical music business with little financial restrictions who still listen to 1G iPod classics with stock buds or cheap Shures or Bose noise canceling phones. To me it's quite easy to explain - people who spend most of their lifetime serving music, especially live and on stage just care not for how the music sounds out the speakers or cans, they operate with it and hear it differently. I am also used to such listening, but being the younger generation more familiar with computers and hi-tech gear and what not, I got sucked in with time
L3000.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #24 of 26
What alksv said, and that's also the reason why those of us primarily interested in music rather than audio will listen quite cheerfully to decidedly low-fi historical recordings for the sake of a great performance. In all but the worst cases the important musical information is all there and the primitive sound is not that difficult to listen through.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #25 of 26
Keep in mind that Bose sells well for more than just it's great marketing. At first blush, it's a very pleasing sound. Very rich and very bassy. Add to that they're generally lightweight and comfortable.

Now, listen critically for awhile and I personally find that I'm missing a lot of range and detail... but, I feel the same way about the bass boost buttons on portable audio gear and those are very popular.

Point is, Bose makes a very particular sound that a lot of people like a lot, don't be surprised if someone prefers it over a more reference sounding headset (or a different coloring for that matter... look at the popularity of Grados here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back