HOORAY for the 32 OHM store !!!!!!!!
Mar 17, 2010 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

budx3385

500+ Head-Fier
Have questions about headphones? Go to the 32 Ohm store !!!

This is a fan-rave. I wanted to know how all of these headphones sound, you know, the ones that someone else here just LOVES and I've never heard! Like the GS1000, RS1, Ed8, HIFI780, W5000 .......

So I picked a day, I bought a cheap ticket from Phoenix to Portland on SWA, I rented a thrifty car (24 miles RT), and ZAP --- I had hours of quality time with all of these GORGEOUS headphones and a man who knows all about them and how to fine-tune them to MY ears. WOW.

Everyone's ears are different, right? So how am I going to make a $2K decision based on someone else's ears? and cables? Oy, Ken knows cables!

OK, OK, it was yesterday, and it was SOOO much fun. Calmly now.

Ken Ball is just outrageously wonderful. I feel honored to have had the opportunity to learn from him. Seriously, if you're a wanna be like me, don't waste another minute wondering how those GS1000's or Ed8's sound with an SXC cable - go and find out for yourself! What an extraordinary resource!

Oh, and did I mention that Jennifer and Mike from Jena Labs just "dropped by", too?

All you guys on the East Coast can have all the can-meets you want. We've got the 32 Ohm store right here !!!!!

THANK YOU, KEN !!!
THANK YOU, KEN !!!
THANK YOU, KEN !!!

L3000.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 30
(checks your profile and looks at the gear listed) OK, so what did you decide to buy?
icon10.gif

32 Ohm Audio gives a new meaning to "The Wall". It is quite a wall of headphones. I need to get over there and try an SR325is (I'm a Portland local).

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif

32 Ohm Audio gives a new meaning to "The Wall". It is quite a wall of headphones. I need to get over there and try an SR325is (I'm a Portland local).

I'm really jealous.

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 30
I frequent the place every couple of weeks or so, to the point that I'm taking it for granted. Ken is a really nice guy and the manager Curtis is awesome. He has a knack for remembering everyone's names, is very knowledgeable about all the products, and puts up with me and my brother wanting to try stuff out all the time. We have both bought headphones and IEMs there, but they understand we all aren't rich and can't afford to buy something every time we go. I've never felt pressured in that way. They aren't 'pushers' like most retail salesmen are. I hope they do well with this store. It truly is an asset to this city.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 30
I just started getting into this headphone thing and somehow came across ALO/32 Ohm's site. It's definitely a plus to have local shops to go to instead of having to solely deal with online retailers.

My boss and I were just talking about how we're not cool enough for Hawthorne. lol

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 30
LOL I remember 10 years or so ago the Hawthorne neighborhood was even more *hipster*, but it's changed a lot. It still has the same feel, but there are people from all walks of life there now.
beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by budx3385 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone's ears are different, right? So how am I going to make a $2K decision based on someone else's ears? and cables? Oy, Ken knows cables!

So what did you end up buying?

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geared4me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what did you end up buying?

+1

32 OHM, is a godsend, Ken and Curtis are great.
Could you imagine how much money that I would of lost because of shipping to and from online retailers, and even restocking fees?! Not to mention all the time waiting and waiting?!
Even if I did live across the country, I'd still spend a little to get there.

BTW, OP, could you rename this thread.. "32 OHM Appreciation Thread" cause I do believe they deserve it.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 30
Yes, you forgot to tell us the most important thing: Which headphone did you buy? Which did you like, hate etc? Kinda the whole point of a thread like this lol.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really jealous.

Be very very jealous. Cause we also have Stumptown Coffee. (and fixie bikes)

We can only hope that 32 Ohm eventually goes franchise and locates in every major metropolitan area. Same for Stumptown Coffee.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 30
Just wanted to add my 2p, Ken and Curtis are great guys and 32 Ohm is HeadFi Heaven. I don't get down there nearly enough but for the time I still live here, I will savour the ability
biggrin.gif

..dB

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 30
im pretty sad that i didnt make it over to 32ohm when i was home for christmas
frown.gif
though i was only in portland for like 10 days, i shoulda made some time, it would have been nice to be able to try out so many phones all in one spot....maybe next time i get back to oregon

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 30
I haven't been to the store yet but from their online selection I see a big problem. The store seams to carter to the "super" high end selection of headphones. I'd like to see more reasonably priced headphones, IEM, amps etc. There is also a lot of brands missing.
Beyerdynamic, Sony, Ultimate Ears, Shure, Klipsch, Sleek, Etymotic, Jays, JVC
Fiio, ibasso, RSA

Bring more people in that don't have the money to spend $200+ on headphones or IEM. I guess the skull candy brand will do that.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviationer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't been to the store yet but from their online selection I see a big problem. The store seams to carter to the "super" high end selection of headphones. I'd like to see more reasonably priced headphones, IEM, amps etc. There is also a lot of brands missing.
Beyerdynamic, Sony, Ultimate Ears, Shure, Klipsch, Sleek, Etymotic, Jays, JVC
Fiio, ibasso, RSA

Bring more people in that don't have the money to spend $200+ on headphones or IEM. I guess the skull candy brand will do that.

They have plenty of lower end headphones for the budget minded peeps. That's where I get some cheapo PH10's, they just don't have half of their stuff on their website.
They ought to update their site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back