Hooking up a Fiio E9 and E7 to a TV?
Sep 24, 2013 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JudgmentZefhyr

New Head-Fier
I understand that I need one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5611&seq=1&format=2

in order to hook up the RCA slots on the E9 to the headphone jack on the TV. But does this also make use of the E7? Since the E7 is run on USB, since the E9 is not connected to any USB slot (computer), does that mean the E7 won't be in use?

If so, how do I make use of both the amp and dac while hooked up to an plasma TV?

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 2
Right, the TV doesn't really have drivers etc. to run a USB audio device. You wouldn't be using the E7. No, it doesn't work even if the TV has a USB port. And if you're not using a USB port, of course you're not sending data to the E7.

That said, the TV's internal DAC may be pretty decent, so using line out to E9 may not be an issue other than for audiophile street cred (on second thought, using FiiO doesn't get you much street cred to begin with, so maybe it's not a big point).

Well, if the TV has S/PDIF output, you could use a DAC with S/PDIF input if you wanted and thus bypass the D/A on the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back