Hooking up a 1.8 drive via IDE
Feb 23, 2008 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tjohnusa

Headphoneus Supremus
I purchased a 1.8 to IDE adapter off of ebay in hopes of salvaging a Toshiba HD out of my Zen Vision M. It's been awhile since I had dual HD in my computer and am wondering if I need the IDE cable with the twist in it? In addition since there are no jumpers on the Toshiba drive will it be recognized as a slave or will it just confuse the BIOS? I see that a 1.8 to usb adapter is made and am wondering if this is the way to go.

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 5
I've never done it, but a quick Google search reveals that you should use the standard IDE cable (no twists).

I would plug it into the secondary IDE controller by itself to avoid possible device contention.

My 2 cents

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 5
I would buy a cheap external ide 1.8 enclosure off of Ebay so you don't have to open up your system if you don't have to. Would solve a few potential unknowns.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 5
Feb 25, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 5
I've never seen an IDE cable with a twist in it. You definitely shouldn't use it. Floppy drive cables have twists in them.

A quick google also shows that Toshiba 1.8" drive's ZIF connectors are wired differently than other 1.8" drives, make sure you get the correct adapter.

The USB adapter will likely give you the least possible grief if it is indeed compatible with the Toshiba drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cscamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Newegg.com - BYTECC BT-300

^Won't work, it's not for 1.8" drives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back