Hooked, now I want to improve...........
Sep 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shredder

100+ Head-Fier
I've been listening to my Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones along with my iBasso D10 with a HiFlight Top Kit.  I very much enjoy the sound and listening experience.  I go for hours at a time. 

Now....where do I go for more?  For better?  For the need to subconsciously play an air guitar or beat an invisible drum along with the tune my new cans are playin.   

I mainly listen to rock and blues type music.  I go from things like Kings of Leon to Killswitch Engage to Norah Jones.  Blue October to Foo Fighters to the Alabama Shakes.  Pink Floyd to Amos Lee.  Arcade Fire to Godsmack.  Sometimes a bit of country or a shot of pop settles the moment.

I like to get lost in the music and be in there with it.  I love sweet mids and authoritative bass without being boomy.  I'll spin (digitally most of the time) an entire album at a time.  I really like the ATH-M50 and am curious what will be an improvement on it.  I don't like to play it loud, I like to play it right.

Where do I go for an improvement in the headphone department?  How about if cost was no object?  Will I need another amp or will my iBasso fill the bill?

Thanks for any an all suggestions.  Like many, I find it frustrating that you can not go to a local brick and mortar to give a listen to most of the headphones and I appreciate the forums feedback!  

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 5
Well, ATH-AD2000 might be worth a shot, although it will be rather different from M50.  You should also look into Ultrasones.

Upgrading from the D10 isn't a bad idea either. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks Mad Max, I'll dig in a bit to the ATH-AD2000 and the Ultrasones, have a specific suggestion?  I would love more of what the M50 is along with a general improvement.  Been milling over a SR-71 from RSA to step up from the D10, but still open to suggestions on all parts.  

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 5
Sweet mids and authoritative non boomy bass = Hifiman HE-500 or LCD2

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 5
  Thanks Mad Max, I'll dig in a bit to the ATH-AD2000 and the Ultrasones, have a specific suggestion?  I would love more of what the M50 is along with a general improvement.  Been milling over a SR-71 from RSA to step up from the D10, but still open to suggestions on all parts.  

If you're looking for something portable then you have to check out the ATH-ES10. A headphone often overlooked due to availability, but if you can get your hands on one then I feel that it will tick most of your boxes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back