Hook up cans to amp
Dec 7, 2007 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

zincman

100+ Head-Fier
OK call me a dumbo but who sells or makes an adapter to hook up your cans to the amplifier speaker terminals. I have a 1.5 watt Decware that I want to hook up to.
Thanks
Tim

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 14
I would doubt that such a thing is made for regular headphones unless you are talking about the k1000's, i would guess that even if you did this your headphones would die in flaming death as most headphones are rated in milliwatts... i could be wrong here but if i were you just buy an actual headphone amp or just use the headphone out on the amp if it has one, if not just get some speakers and enjoy the amp that way. but again i may be wrong. I am sure someone else will chime in later and say something along the same lines or completely contradict me
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by zincman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK call me a dumbo but who sells or makes an adapter to hook up your cans to the amplifier speaker terminals. I have a 1.5 watt Decware that I want to hook up to.
Thanks
Tim

Speakers and Headphones are driven differently; no such adapter is possible.

Dec 9, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 14
I have contacted Decware for help. I ran into a guy from another forum that has my same amp with cans hooked up via speaker terminals. Decware told him the correct resistor to use to match the cans and amp. I will post info when I get it. I have HD580.
Tim

Dec 9, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 14
Most receivers run their headphone sections directly off the amp. They add resistors, but it's workable.

The 1.5W rating indicates peak power. It isn't 1.5W continuous. I think the biggest problem would be matching impedance, since speakers are generally 8 ohms, but that's nothing difficult.

Dec 9, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Say what?

Dec 9, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Absolute and complete tosh. Piffle and nonsense of the highest order. A complete and undiluted falsehood in every single respect. Fundamentally untrue. Incorrect at the basis and in the elaboration. Wrong my good man and consider this your educational admonishment.

Such adapters are possible and indeed there are many available, QED cables make one or at least used to. They were slightly more common in days of yore when a lot of amps did not have headphone jacks. Higher impedance "normal" headphones can in fact be driven right from the speaker terminals if you are careful with the volume dial. My father used to do it with his old DT880 out of a 140 watt Quad 405-2.

Aside from oddities like the Ergo AMT and of course the K1000 though, and those crazy Stax electrostatic adapters as well, you'll really want one of those little adapters.

I've just had a look on ebay where I know i've seen them for sale before but for the life of me I cant find one at the minute.

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 14
Steve @ Decware said I should just run them straight in to start and add resistors to suit my volume needs. I am going to wire up an adapter this week and see how they do.
Tim

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 14
Pioneer used to make something like this I remember seeing a pic of it on these forums. From the looks it was made in the 70's.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 14
The llusion ESC-1001 are perfect for this task.
It allows you to hook up Stax Pro bias headphones to any speaker amplifier.

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #14 of 14
There are always the vintage Stax SRD-7's as well...

staxsrd7familyxv8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back