Hong Kong Meet (31/1/09) impressions
Feb 1, 2009 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

XXII

Headphoneus Supremus
Wow, I guess I'm the first to post impressions. So firstly, I have to thank Dan (daggerlee) for expertly organizing the whole event so it ran extremely smoothly. Thanks to Francis (fkclo) for bringing a glimpse of his impressive collection so that the meet really had some gems!

My initial impressions: I was extremely impressed by Greenleo's RAL recabled AKG K701. Completely blown away. It synergized really well with his Lisas. Definitely something to ponder.

I also enjoyed listening to the HD650 and all their different cables. Also something to think about.

Ultrasone was also very well represented. I didn't have time to try the Pro900s but I did manage to spend 5 minutes with Francis' Edition 9 on my own set (Gilmore Lite + Havana) up as well as on Francis' Earmax SE. It didn't go so well with the Gilmore lite, a bit thin. It sounded a lot fuller with the earmax but still a bit underwhelming.

Finally, I was glad to be able to try both Francis' and dannie01's Valab DAC compared to my Havana. Dannie's valab was modded with Blackgates and probabaly other things and sounded far superior to the stock Valab. I felt it sounded very similar to the Mhdt Paradisea with stock tube. Very smooth and lush. IMO, they couldn't compare with the Havana in terms of detail and resolution.

Overall this was a great experience and we've all agreed to do this more often. I guess other people will upload photos later.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 19
Looks like you had a nice meet there in Hong Kong. Awaiting pics.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 19
Yeah, some more impressions would be nice.
So would pictures...
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 19
It's a pity I can't join this meet due to Chinese New Year family gathering. Hope I can make it next time.
Eager to read impressions especially on the "Phonitor" as this seems to be a new gem here.
And yeah pics please.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 19
any impression guys? i guess i enjoy people more than equipment a little more. all i test was ultrasone pro900, which i think it's good but not what i like and hfi-780, which i'm going to get. besides that, i did try gilmore lite. pretty good i think. and i didn't take a single picture, when my camera was with me all the time
redface.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 19
Thanks for everybody in the meet, especially for Dan for providing such a nice place for us
beerchug.gif

First of all, I am not a gold ear. I listened to a few great gears but the songs were not something that I am familiar with. Hence I couldn't put down much comments. I did compare the UE9 with my ALO780 and UE9 was clearly the winner. However, this should be a well-known fact, right? Maybe UE9 should be on my wish list.

The gear that I found most impressive was the Chord. I listened to Wireless signals transmitted from a Mac to the Chord and just couldn't tell that's from bluetooth. In the meet, we spent sometime speculating about the future price of HD800, chatting about the performance of certain gears, ... etc. I learnt a lot and saw lots of interesting gears.

I would like to make a few suggestions:

1. Have a regular meet in the future (say half-yearly)
2. Divide the gears in different sections:, say
trying the same setup except with different phones,
trying the same setup except with different DACs, etc.
3. Compile a set of sound tracks for evaluating the performance of a system.
4. Finally, may we have some snacks
icon10.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 19
Sweet!
May I ask what you guys used to drive the K1000? I don't see it hooked up anywhere...

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mostly by the SPL Phonitor. What a nice meet.

This one that is?
Looks a lot like a studio amplifier. A nice combo that may be..
smile.gif

3248528493_9163ca9ccb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back