Home Vs. Portable Amp? (Newbie)
Nov 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

AnalogJ

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know what options there might be for amps meant for a home system (Utilized from my integrated) vs. a portable one in my price range ($100 - 150). Used could be an option, but if I were buying new, what qualitative differences might I expect in amps that are portable vs. ones that will stay at home? Most of my listening would be at home, but a portable would allow for the occasional use out of the house. I have learned about many good budget portable amp options, but what are some good home system amps in the price range, if any?

Jeff

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 14
not much in your pricerange for home and IMO unless you are using a quality portable source and inefficient headphones, your money will not get you very far. IMO you dont see that much improvement with efficient headphones with amps in the budget pricerange at al. others will probably disagree, but thats my opinion. my advice is to not buy either and instead save up a little till you can afford a better option

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 14
I have to have some sort of amp because my integrated has no headphone out. Are you not a fan of any of the portable options in the price range (Airhead, Meier, IBasso)?

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 14
On the even cheaper end of things, you could just get a cable to connect between your receiver and headphones.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to have some sort of amp because my integrated has no headphone out. Are you not a fan of any of the portable options in the price range (Airhead, Meier, IBasso)?

well for starters you have not told us what type of headphones you are wishing to run with this amp and if you take a look at my sig, you will see that I possess mostly portable kit; albeit at the polar opposite end of the spectum. I love my portable rig/s, wouldnt live without them, but I dont believe the low value options provide much in the way of value. save your pennies for a little bit longer and grab something in the middle; with 200-275, you can get something quite nice and leaps ahead of the entry level

of the options you mention there; ibasso, but again, without knowing the impedance of the headphones you wish to drive its difficult to make suggestions or analysis. for your budget and in amp only the high gain version of the AMB mini^3 (professionally built by mister X if you cant solder) is about as good as you will get. the lower end ibassos do not provide much drive and certainly should not be really used for powering fullsize headphones IMO. a hi gain mini^3 is both great sounding and quite powerful. but IMO its kinda out on its own in your pricerange.

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 14
qusp, I *have* looked at you sig - is it possible for you to fix this glaring typo, please ?

Trasports

Tks,

estreeter

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the even cheaper end of things, you could just get a cable to connect between your receiver and headphones.

... and if you don't have a receiver, in your price range good vintage ones can be had, such as the Sherwood S-7300. It has a very well respected warm sound.
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 14
Most of the low-mid fi cans don't benefit from budget amps and they really don't need a home/stationary amp unless they are inefficient or in other words hard to drive. I would say get your source right and get some decent cans. Just my opinion, of course.

Nov 20, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

of the options you mention there; ibasso, but again, without knowing the impedance of the headphones you wish to drive its difficult to make suggestions or analysis. for your budget and in amp only the high gain version of the AMB mini^3 (professionally built by mister X if you cant solder) is about as good as you will get.

Do you mean "high-performance" when you say "hi-gain"? Cause not knowing his headphones not sure why you would recommend an mini^3 configured for hi-gain.
wink_face.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 14
Not really - many amps come with a 'gain' switch or a combination thereof : you can opt for a few extra decibels (up to +10dB on the T3, and its tiny), but it comes at the expense of a little detail. Generally speaking, you would only use the gain settings if you are trying to drive a pair of cans that needs it. In my case, its great with the K501, but overkill with the Grados. Like most things that play with the output levels of your kit, a little is good but maxing it out constantly isnt seen as a good thing - it means you need to move to a bigger amp.

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

I don't know what options there might be for amps meant for a home system (Utilized from my integrated) vs. a portable one in my price range ($100 - 150). Used could be an option, but if I were buying new, what qualitative differences might I expect in amps that are portable vs. ones that will stay at home? Most of my listening would be at home, but a portable would allow for the occasional use out of the house. I have learned about many good budget portable amp options, but what are some good home system amps in the price range, if any?

Jeff

The major difference between portable and desktop amps falls into what size can do for you. The smaller you go, the simpler you need to go. A little Cmoy can give you more volume, at a bargain-basement price. The downside is that you're working with opamps, which are the basement of audio fidelity. There are some pretty cool chips out there, but when size is an issue, you're down to an opamp with minimal buffering. For its size, I was impressed with what a Mini3 could pull off. With it and the portable Pimeta, you get an active third channel, which helps reduce distortion and provides a cleaner sound. As you move to the desktops, you start to move away from the opamps. A fully discreet B22 has no opamps and the difference is sonic bliss but you give up portability and drain your wallet.

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 14
Hmmm...I may need to look used. My integrated amp is very high end. It just doesn't have a headphone out. I haven't purchased the cans yet, but I am leaning toward the Grade SR-225i. A lot of gain won't be necessary. Musicality is. What might be a good match for these phones, if I go the used route?

Jeff.

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 14
I might need to go the used route. I'm likely to go with the Grado SR225i so high gain is not neccesary. I have a high end integrated, but has no headphone out. What might be a good match for the Grades within my budget?

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

I might need to go the used route. I'm likely to go with the Grado SR225i so high gain is not neccesary. I have a high end integrated, but has no headphone out. What might be a good match for the Grades within my budget?

ive never heard the 225i but ive read that the jump from 125 to 225 is large compared to the jump from 80 to 125, and i also read that the 225 rivals, even some prefer to the 325,,, dont know about the new i's though, but i was interested in the 225, i just worried about fit issues,,, i wonder how many grams they way as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back