Home Theatre System For PC & TV?
Oct 31, 2010 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JasonZ10

100+ Head-Fier
Hey head-fi, I'm kind of an audio noob so you're going to have to bear with me. Also I don't know if this thread is in the right section so please notify me if it isn't.

But on to what I need... I'm going to be purchasing a good home theatre system for my computer, tv, and ps3, but I don't know what i should get. I don't know much about home theatre and audio but I know more than your average housewife. I've been looking around on the Bestbuy (Yeah, I know, Bestbuy...) and it seems like they have divided their home theatre systems into two main categories, 5.1/7.1, and receiver based. I don't know what's better for me but I'm leaning towards 5.1/7.1 because it's much cheaper but I don't necessarily want to go price over quality. So what I was thinking was buy a decent 5.1/7.1 system, get a good receiver and a new sub (I love bass) and better speakers over time. I'm probably going to get Yamaha and/or Polk Audio equipment because I've heard good stuff about both companies.

TL;DR So the question I'm asking is should I get a receiver based home theatre system, 5.1/7.1 system, 5.1/7.1 system with a good receiver, or just build a system from the ground up? In addition, I would like to know what companies make good audio products.

Oct 31, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 16
Bump/I'm off to sleep so hopefully I get replies when I return in the morning :p

Oct 31, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 16
If you'll allow me to throw you off track, have you considered a two-channel system?

I'm (finally) putting together a TV/video system and am going to use my stereo speakers instead of 5.1 or 7.1. About ten years ago, I had a 5.1 system. Sure, the surround is kinda fun, but I didn't find it to enhance my enjoyment that much.

Fast forward a decade, and I've decided to run my TV through audiophile gear. I'll just use two speakers, a TV, an AppleTV, Blu-Ray player, and my DVD-A player for the video. I'll run those into my preamp and feed it through a tubed power amp.

I don't have the TV yet (am waiting for post-Thanksgiving price cuts), but think I'll get plenty of enjoyment of movies while being able to fully enjoy audio from the same setup. Most of the packaged 5.1 systems won't cut it for good audio unless I go for Magnepan or some other system from a good company.

So you might want to consider picking up a pair of audiophile speakers (preferably used - there are fantastic deals out there) and hooking those to a nice used integrated or preamp/amp system. You'd get some excellent stereo for TV/movies and also be able to enjoy audiophile goodness for your music. That might not fit what you've been considering, but think about giving up a few sound cues in exchange for some killer music listening.

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 16
IMO, if you can afford to spend the time doing some research, building your own system would get you a better bang for your buck when compared to getting a pre-packaged system. 

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
If you'll allow me to throw you off track, have you considered a two-channel system?

By two-channel do you mean something like this?: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileAV40.html
I've heard good things about those speakers and they're not too expensive. But please, link me to some good two-channel speakers that aren't over, say, $600.

And my budget is probably $800 but I'll have more over time to upgrade certain parts.

Oct 31, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 16
I'm not keen on the self-powered speakers. I much prefer passive speakers where you can choose your amp. It makes it a lot easier to tweak and upgrade parts here and there.

For $600, my favorite is the Magnepan MMG: http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG

Yes, they are that good. I'm not too familiar with their current lineup, but PSB makes good speakers, as well. Another thing you can try is visiting Audiogon and running a filtered search for speakers up to $700, since prices are negotiable.

Also look for a receiver/integrated amp. Some brands to consider are NAD, Arcam, Cambridge, Rega, Adcom, Creek, Marantz, and look up reviews of anything else you turn up.

You might not have heard of these brands since they're not well-known in consumer circles. But they have a good reputation with audiophiles and also hold their value far better than consumer gear. Almost any audiophile piece you buy used can be resold for what you paid. In that sense, you're always better off buying audiophile gear instead of a $400 A/V receiver that will be worth $75 in a few years. Dropping $300 on a Rega integrated will get you $300 for it three or four years later.

Oct 31, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 16
Thanks alot, also..
Few more questions. Can I hook those speakers up to a receiver? What is a good budget amp and/or receiver? (be specific
beyersmile.png

EDIT: Can I hook up a sub to the amplifier/receiver also? Is it necessary or do the MMG's have enough bass?

Well actually I think I'd be better off getting a Receiver based system just maybe buying everything separate because I don't make music or anything so I don't need super good speakers. So what are some good brands for receivers, subs, bookshelf speakers, etc. Sorry for changing this after you helped me so much but I don't want to spend tons for something that I won't be seeing much of a difference in.

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 16
Look at AV receivers that is compatible with the latest audio/video formats (HDMI; bluray etc). Onkyo makes some really good units and should be a good place to start.
After that, you will need some speakers. My take is that you don't have to worry too much about speakers matching if you are on a budget. Some people will say that you must have 5 matching speakers (or 7)plus a sub woofer with the same name. Remember the first THX standard-three identical vertical front speakers? The fact is, even now, side and back speakers play a supporting role most of the time and you can get away with less than 5 full size Martin Logans in your living room.  I would just choose the best stereo speakers you can afford and start from there. Next one is the center speaker which handle the most of the sound in a cinema soundtrack(so it IS important). Get one that match your front speakers. When it comes to side and back speakers, I really like the Polk FX . They match well with a lot of other speakers in a home theatre system and are inexpensive. After that (if you still have money left) you can get a subwoofer. Again, just get the best one you can afford (never mind the brand name as long as it is self powered).
Cable/sat and bluray are the two common sources for high def video. My favourite is Netfix bluray, you can have cinema experience at home with very little money. Forget about buying DVDs, you will end up watch most of them only once.
Last but not least is your TV. 3D TV is the next big thing but the price is still too high. Other big screen TVs are getting cheaper. One way to save money is to buy a big screen monitor. You can get a 50 in Panasonic for a  lot less than a normal TV. They don't come with speakers or a lot of inputs but since you are not using the built in ones anyway it won't make any difference.

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 16
Thanks a lot, and I already have a 38" Sony TV (1080p 60hz) that I'm currently happy with. And where are good places to buy receivers and speakers (aside from bestbuy, craigslist, and ebay)?

EDIT: Is something like this good? http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S5300&class=Systems&p=i
Or cheaper: http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S3300&class=Systems&p=i

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 16
Hmm..
Ok, I have a few 2.0, 2.1 systems and a 7.1 system that I have hooked up to my PC and Ps3 (yah, I went speaker crazy a few years ago-lol)...
My ps3 remains off now: since I don't game much... And I use my Pc as a music/movie player.

While I do like to have the 7.1 system on most of the time- but for music, I prefer my 2.1 (which was my diy project..)
For movies: while the 2.1 system is good, of course, I prefer the 7.1 surround sound: Dolby Hd/Dts Hd...which with the right codecs; getting perfect lossless 7 channel surround sound is easy.

I have a pair of audioengine a2 for personal listening: which is hooked up to a yamaha 8"sub.
My 7.1 system is powered by a Pioneer receiver. The speakers are klipsch reference series- that I got for a steal of a deal: 50% off each pair.

So- my recommendation for $800 would be to spend about $250 on a entry line receiver then get 2 pairs of audioengine ap4 (passive speakers).
These ap4 are very close in performance characteristics: compared to the -a2 and a5 except they are passive.
Although there are other choices available from loads of other companies... I've looked into many and have concluded that these ap4 speakers are best for their price (250/pair), and outs many other brands of similar price to complete shame.

Hope this helps!

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #14 of 16

Thanks alot, also..

Few more questions. Can I hook those speakers up to a receiver? What is a good budget amp and/or receiver? (be specific
beyersmile.png

EDIT: Can I hook up a sub to the amplifier/receiver also? Is it necessary or do the MMG's have enough bass?

Well actually I think I'd be better off getting a Receiver based system just maybe buying everything separate because I don't make music or anything so I don't need super good speakers. So what are some good brands for receivers, subs, bookshelf speakers, etc. Sorry for changing this after you helped me so much but I don't want to spend tons for something that I won't be seeing much of a difference in.

Yes, you can hook those speakers up to a receiver.

Most subs have a high-pass filter, so they'll send low frequencies to the subs and the rest to your speakers. However, if you get really good speakers, you might not need a sub.

I disagree with buying mediocre speakers. You will enjoy the good ones much more, even if you're a casual listener. I give good headphones to non-audiophiles as gifts, and they always come back to thank me a few weeks on because they're hearing things in their music they didn't know was there. You do not have to be an expert to enjoy a great pair of speakers. Buy good ones - you will truly enjoy them.

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 16
Thanks a lot for all of the replies, I'm probably going to go with the Magnepan MMG's and just get a decent Yamaha or Onkyo receiver. I heard that you want the MMG's to be far away from the wall, is this true? Because my room is fairly small and I don't think I could have them out in the open. Also do you know of any other similar speakers that are hopefully cheaper that are still good quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back