Home Theater system
Jul 29, 2005 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

stupidgirlsays

New Head-Fier
I have about $2500 that was given to me to redo a room in our house. It is quite a small room, about 11 x 13. A thousand of that is going towards furniture and decor. So $1500 is left over for a TV, DVD, speakers, and anything electronics related. I was originally thinking a grand for TV and $500 for theater system. Right before I posted this though, I saw that handy little banner at the top of the screen for Orb Audio. That is quite an interesting little system that they offer. So now that threw me off balance for how much I wanted to spend on speakers. I will leave it up to you guys for the budget. If you think $500 is enough for tv and $1000 for speakers (or vice versa), let me know. Besides those, what other complete systems would you recommend.

REQUIREMENTS: Preferably small speakers (small room)
Used to tv, plain audio, and movies
Needs to include speakers, sub, and amp (a dvd is not needed in the package)
Color does matter to some level, but most all colors should be OK
5.1 setup is preferable

Thanks for the help

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 23
If you want a 5.1 system, you're gonna be hard pressed to have a good sounding system for $500, especially when you have to include a receiver. It's even challenging at $1000...

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
If you want a 5.1 system, you're gonna be hard pressed to have a good sounding system for $500, especially when you have to include a receiver. It's even challenging at $1000...

I think you have the impression that I need an audiophile level system. I just want a system that sounds good and that I can enjoy. I have a system that was $500 and I am happy with it. It is an onkyo 6.1 with reciever also. There is obviously much better. I am not arguing there isn't. But you need to be more grounded and realize that $1000 can buy you a good sounding system.

Jul 29, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk

I agree with grawk, there is nothing worse than an extremely cheap home theater system. I would rather have my money in the bank then spend $500 on a surround system.
But, this is Head-Fi, and I would never tell you to keep your money in the bank.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Screw the cheap home theater, and spend that money on a kick ass TV like the Sony KD-34XS955, or KD-34XBR960. You can always add a receiver, and speakers at a later time; yeah, that's what I would do.
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 23
My parents are giving me this money for a room, I do not have any way to get money besides now. So about $1000 is going to have to do. I like the Orb Audio HT express because it has great reviews and has both DVD and reciever. That is a little above what I was looking to spend originally, but if it is worth it, then it will be considered. It doesn't seem like there is too much about these speakers on head-fi. Are they hated just like Bose (maybe all small speakers?) Another thing I stumbled upon is the Paradigm 90 or 110 CT speakers. Then I would buy a $300-400 reciever. Do either of these sound decent? Could you give me suggestions if these are bad ideas?

Since it doesn't seem like I am getting much positive feedback for sub $1000 system, is there any system that sounds DECENT for about $1000. Decent for an audiophile is probably good by my standards.

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 23
I like both of those, but they seem a little too big for the room. 11 x 13 with 3 chairs in it doesnt leave much space. haha I am really frustrated that nobody has any advice on the orb audio. I hope someone will answer to those eventually. I usually like the sound of bigger speakers, but I do not think bigger speakers are possible. Wall mountable speakers (like the orbs) are a much added plus.

Thanks for the suggestions

Jul 30, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 23
Home Theater is still the way to go, however when it comes to buying quality looks can be deceiving, such as little speakers that say there 100 watts, but they sound like crap. This kind of portability is still what it is, less than bose.

The only best sounding speaker that's very small is bose, that's it!

I have both a well set-up home theater and dolby headphone.

I still prefer my home theater overall.

I played the beginning of Die Another Day in DTS-ES matrix and it sounds great, the music soundtrack could litterally pull you out of the seat and make you want to move to the music

I will be posting a dolby headphone vs home theater comparison really soon.

So far I think I might have dymistified intelligibility of dolby headphone, entirely.

Now my home theater is beginning to show signs of even greater imaging.

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 23
I have been to home depot my fair share of times, and I have never ever seen a reciever there. Am I wrong? I wouldn't think a utility store would carry many electronics. I think I need satellite speakers. It seems all the speakers you are suggesting are TOO BIG. Compact, powerful, and quality.

Jul 30, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #12 of 23
I really like the Soundworks Megatheater Solution 61 because it's got everything already. I also really like the Newton Theater MC100.2, but it is a kinda more than I want to spend. Plus I think it is a little overkill in such a tiny room. Are there any specific Soundworks setups you would suggest?

Jul 30, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 23
I think you should consider the Hsu Research Ventriloquist + STF2 package for $559.00 shipped.

http://www.hsustore.com/vt-12-stf-2.html

For $250.00 shipped, you can pick up a Pioneer 815 HT receiver that has pre-outs for all channels, which allows for a path to upgrade the amp section.

Jul 30, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
I think you should consider the Hsu Research Ventriloquist + STF2 package for $559.00 shipped.

Sorry, but I am not really comfortable buying something from that small of an online store, and I am reluctant to buy a speaker called the Ventriloquist. I have my eyes on the Soundworks, unless I find something that sounds good to me at the store today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back