Home Theater: Let's see yours!
Aug 27, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #31 of 37
^

You have some interesting gear tho dude.

4K is not all that. I've been using 4K upscale from the Oppo players for a while now. Plugged in the new Panny 4K player and compared 4K to upscalled 1080P on the Deadpool film. We couldn't tell the difference in a blind test. Even on the most detailed colourful scenes.

HDR introduces more background colours however it dims the whole picture a lot. We had to use a lot more lamp light (opened up the iris).

I'm waiting to see what kind of 4K player Oppo introduces. However even tho I have a 4K HDR projector I'm considering skipping the whole thing.

Dolby Atmos is a bigger jump forward.
I'm glad to hear someone else say that. I really enjoy HDR at the theater (Dolby Cinema) but my home theater is all about the bang for the buck. 4k/HDR is not worth the money for me yet. My next upgrade will be to Atmos. Hopefully soon.

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #32 of 37
It's nice to find this thread. Thanks for setting it up.
It has come alive lately.

I will contribute as much as possible.
I have been heavily into Home Theater since 1991. Back in the laser disc days.

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #33 of 37
I'm glad to hear someone else say that. I really enjoy HDR at the theater (Dolby Cinema) but my home theater is all about the bang for the buck. 4k/HDR is not worth the money for me yet. My next upgrade will be to Atmos. Hopefully soon.

So true.  

The ONE place where 4k is/ could be a big deal is in front projection home theater with its wide viewing angles.  

BUT I will admit I never thought I was missing out in commercial cinema back when they were using 2k DLP.  Not at all.  

Actually, before 4k, I would want to use the higher bit rate on lower compression and expanded color space.  

And for me, I LOVE the convenience of having movies on tap via the server.  All I do is pick up the iPad, which has an app  that displays all my movies, artwork, metadata, etc.  With a press on the touchscreen the projector will light up with the movie of choice!  Zappiti is a really cool piece of software.  

I am NOT going to give that up just for 4k.  No way!  

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #34 of 37
So true.  

The ONE place where 4k is/ could be a big deal is in front projection home theater with its wide viewing angles.  

BUT I will admit I never thought I was missing out in commercial cinema back when they were using 2k DLP.  Not at all.  

Actually, before 4k, I would want to use the higher bit rate on lower compression and expanded color space.  

And for me, I LOVE the convenience of having movies on tap via the server.  All I do is pick up the iPad, which has an app  that displays all my movies, artwork, metadata, etc.  With a press on the touchscreen the projector will light up with the movie of choice!  Zappiti is a really cool piece of software.  

I am NOT going to give that up just for 4k.  No way!  
I am using Plex to access the libraries of 3 friends. In the theater we have an Apple TV 4 with the Plex app. In the bedroom we use Plex on iPad or Surface Pro 3 and send to a Chromecast. For my personal library I didn't want to dedicate a computer for a Plex server and I found a simple setup. An 8TB NAS and the Infuse app for ATV4.
Quality was my first concern for my library. Uncompressed Blu-ray quality. Infuse streams MKV with Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD directly from a NAS. I did have to upgrade my 10+ year old Apple Airport.

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #35 of 37

A few more pics in better lighting of the setup.

Yamaha rx-v AVR
Behringer inuke 6000dsp
LCR- DIYSOUNDGROUP 88special (cinema 88)
SL/SR- polk 6 inch speakers
2x18" Dayton Audio UM18 Sealed Subs.

Not as much into video, just the 50" for now with blueray/apple tv.

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #36 of 37

A few more pics in better lighting of the setup.

Yamaha rx-v AVR
Behringer inuke 6000dsp
LCR- DIYSOUNDGROUP 88special (cinema 88)
SL/SR- polk 6 inch speakers
2x18" Dayton Audio UM18 Sealed Subs.

Not as much into video, just the 50" for now with blueray/apple tv.
That's pretty sweet dude. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back