Home Theater: Let's see yours!
Oct 7, 2014 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Arsis

100+ Head-Fier
I found an HT thread but it was old so here's a new one.

Here's mine. It's not high-end but it's fun.

Polk Audio
Center: CS20
Front L/R: Monitor 70
Front Wides: 45B
Surrounds: R50
Rear: CS10 (I mounted them upside down with Omni mounts. They're angled center speakers so
they hug the wall just a bit better that way.)

Subs: BIC Acoustech PL-200 12" x 2
Polk Audio PSW 110

A/V Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1021
Blu-Ray Player: Pioneer BDP-140
Display: Sony 55" 3D BRAVIA KDL55HX800 240 Hz
3D glasses x 4
AppleTV
DirecTV

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 37
Seriously? No home theater junkies?

Oct 17, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 37
Seriously? No home theater junkies?

You have to understand that there's a reason why the people on this forum are here: they are into headphones. In turn, they're into headphones for a reason: small apartment, relatively thin walls and annoyed neighbors; some are students who live with their parents or with roommates; some have their own homes, maybe they used to have a 2.0 speaker set-up, but the wife demanded a crafts room or a baby room (separate from where that kid will sleep in when s/he gets bigger, then the next baby will take over the baby room; etc.

That's also part of why I don't plan on having a family - I've seen too many FS posts in the following format:

FS: (items here); RFS: Wife wants (insert whatever here)
Ex. FS: my complete car audio system; RFS: need space in trunk for stroller

People tell me you can always earn more money, but hey, I tend to see people making too much money usually cutting it from people below them where they work (like CEO's who say the company can't afford it, but takes millions in bonuses), so no.

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 37
I think your setup looks delicious mate! Wish I had the space for something like this :wink:

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 37
Maybe I'm talking to my self here but if so oh well. I have a feeling that there are at least people here that have an interest in home theater even if they don't have one. If you have even a meager setup for movie watching, please share it here. I will be happy to answer any questions that I can. The following is a duplication of my post from an AV forum on the subject of height and wide speakers..

Ok, so I've been running the wides on the big system for a few months and really like them. The mains are 8' apart with the wides about 4' outside of them. I'm using the "Wide Movie" setting and I really like it. It's a pure, clean expansion of the front soundstage. The layout of my room won't allow me pull the wides further around toward the surrounds. They are somewhat arced but not quite ideally located. All things considered, the room is about as perfect as I could hope for without having a dedicated theater room. My speakers are all placed perfectly symmetrical with the one exception being the right surround which is two feet further wide than the right.
My bedroom system tinkering has led me to question the wide setup in my big system. I've been running 3.1 in the bedroom for a long time. Running wires for surround would be a real PITA. I recently realized that my receiver allows for the pre-outs to be used as height or surround rear. I had an old 2.1 setup sitting in the closet so why not?
I placed them all the way up at the ceiling in the corners. Using PLIIz. I like it a lot! It's subtle yet effective. Rain and thunder were the first thing I noticed. Watching The person Executioner, they add a very realistic ambience to dialog in the large stone rooms of the castle. In The Hobbit, the scene where the stone giants fight its raining and thundering with bombastic echos from the large valley. All beautifully enhanced by the height channel.
Sooo... after hearing what the height channel adds, even in an unmatched, cheapy setup like this, I'm most likely going to be converting the wides in my big system to height. I think that most of soundstage effect of the wides can be gotten back by simply spreading the mains a little more. If my receiver would do both then I would but as it is, I think I'll prefer the PL IIz effect. I don't have DTS Neo X on either system so I can't make that comparison. Hope this helps someone else that is trying to decide between heights or wides.

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 37

Work in progress. Need new AV-receiver and then do the cabling. Maybe purchase center speaker if I get lucky. For next year I'm planning on upgrading to bigger screen and do acoustic treatment. I am starting to run out of money so don't feel like purchasing 500 euros worth of panels right now.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #7 of 37
guys could you help me please. I am unable to start a new thread. getting an error.

what is the absolute best 4k tv 40-48"?

I am going crazy trying to figure this out. I think the vizio is better than the j8500 but that just cannot be when I get it home. I cannot be lugging these things around. I am too old. you can trust that I have the audio covered already! it's just my bedroom.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 37

Work in progress. Need new AV-receiver and then do the cabling. Maybe purchase center speaker if I get lucky. For next year I'm planning on upgrading to bigger screen and do acoustic treatment. I am starting to run out of money so don't feel like purchasing 500 euros worth of panels right now.
Nice room. I like the black drapes. I built a recording studio in 2001 and ordered a foam room treatment kit from HSF Acoustics. Its comparable to Auralex but much cheaper. I built frames to hold several of the 1'x1'x2" panels and covered them with fabric. I have since moved and treatments are finding their way into the theater. There is a 2' x 8' panel above the tv. The most valuable part of the kit was eight 2' tall corner LENRD bass traps (Low End Node ReDuction). I'm trying to get them worked into the room aesthetically but they really clean up and tighten the bass. People hate to spend money on acoustics but it really makes a difference when done right.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 37

What gear do you have? Inquiring nerds want to know. haha.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 37
I changed my wides to heights recently and I really like it. The front soundstage is huge! Next step is a projector and 100" screen.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 37
What gear do you have? Inquiring nerds want to know. haha.

Speakers Monitor Audio RX8 fronts and RXFX surrounds.
Receiver Denon Avr-x2000.
I mostly use Master 11 as preamp/DAC and yamaha mx-50 power amp.

f09cb89820.JPG

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #12 of 37
Speakers Monitor Audio RX8 fronts and RXFX surrounds.
Receiver Denon Avr-x2000.
I mostly use Master 11 as preamp/DAC and yamaha mx-50 power amp.

f09cb89820.JPG
Very nice. I've never heard them but I know the Monitor Audio stuff is highly regarded. What about your projector? I'm in the market now. I'll be adding the projector and screen very soon.

Jan 4, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #13 of 37
Very nice. I've never heard them but I know the Monitor Audio stuff is highly regarded. What about your projector? I'm in the market now. I'll be adding the projector and screen very soon.

Epson TW3200 (8350 in america). I bought it 3.5 years ago. So it's nothing fancy anymore. Screen is Grandview cyber 92"

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #14 of 37
Yay! My gear arrived! HD theater on budget continues.
BenQ W1070 projector. 1080P and 3D. I got it for a steal. My brother has the same one and the image is fantastic.

Elite Screens Spectrum 110" electric drop down. I'm leaving the 55" Sony in place for non-cinematic daily viewing. The Elite drops in front of it.
Pictures soon.:D :D:D:D:D

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #15 of 37
I'm almost ready to install my projector and screen. For now here is a pic of my brother's room.
BenQ W1070
120" painted wall
Denon 5.1.2 Atmos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back