Home-Made IEMs
Feb 18, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #1,501 of 15,989
Quote:
hello again everyone, 

what aboout this product? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jesmonite-AC300-Non-Toxic-Water-Based-Acrylic-Casting-Laminating-Resin-4Kg-Kit-/320808990930?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item4ab1b4b8d2

the guy who made the instructable about the iems used acrylic casting resin and coated it in nail polish to make it inert i guess?

What do you guys think?

Is there a non-toxic nail polish on the market? I'm not aware of one

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #1,503 of 15,989
Lovely that I get to bump this thread up. I've made a set of non-hollow (toxic) CIEM that I am going to recycle. I'm planning to attempt a pair of hollow shells first though. Are there any cheap silicone for the initial investment process (I'd rather not redo impressions)? I will work directly with the impressions. I am planning to buy Fotoplast S/IO and the lacquer 3. However, I am still looking around for colloid materials. Does any one know a more economical and smaller solution to Krystalloid which they sell by the gallons (I'm trying to avoid gelatin, since the mixture might be uneven or opaque). Lastly, it comes the question of a UV chamber. I want to attempt a process where a pair can be treated at the same time. Right now, I am thinking of a box covered with breadboards full of UV LEDs -- the problems remains to be the equal dispersion of the UV light. Does any one have a solution that as well? Thanks in advance. I look forward to complete this process within the next month.   

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #1,505 of 15,989
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/656122/diy-shell-making-re-shell-guide-w-some-pictures

Hey, nice job!

Thanks for your willingness to share your process with others, here.

'The more, the merrier!', as they say in my part of the world!

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,506 of 15,989
Hello everyone, I'm off travelling soon. So won't have time to complete my diy iem build.

So I am selling off my electronics i acquired from colsan microelectronics. You can't actually buy in single units only in x100 quantities so for anyone looking to make a one off set, this is the perfect opportunity. 

Here is a list of what you can be buying:

2 x 33A007 Recievers (WOOFER)

2 x 2323 Receivers (TWEETER)

1 x Micromonitor Y Headphone Cable (silver)

2 x Micromonitor Headphone sockets

1 x 1m length of 2mm acoustic tubing (clear)

1 x Sample assortment of acoustic dampers

I bought this all for £110, and looking for a quickish sale, so please send me some offers! As i say you can't buy these in single units!

Many thanks
Jack

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #1,507 of 15,989
Quote:
  So I am selling off my electronics i acquired from colsan microelectronics. You can't actually buy in single units only in x100 quantities so for anyone looking to make a one off set, this is the perfect opportunity.  I bought this all for £110, and looking for a quickish sale, so please send me some offers! As i say you can't buy these in single units!

Someone should snatch this up!

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #1,510 of 15,989
Hmmm a few days ago I was shown a site, where Chinese audiophiles DIY their IEMs with Shure SE535 shells... reshell services to SE535 shells are offered as well

Well, at least we do not need to make shells anymore (unless we are aiming above triple driver)

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #1,511 of 15,989
hi all :) i'm considering entering the wonderful world of diy iems,however, i have some inquiries. I have a pair of vsonic gr07 bass editions and i love them,but i'm looking to make something a bit better. After a few pages of lurking this thread, i think i have chosen my drivers [Knowles cl22955(1) and twfk(1) per ear]. Would those two fit in a shure 535 case? http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2254. I love the bass,but i prefer clean punches versus muddy, and i really like my snares and claps to sparkle as i listen to a lot of electronic music. Would my described set up work? If anyone had suggestions it would be much appreciated :)

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #1,513 of 15,989
Quote:
hi all :) i'm considering entering the wonderful world of diy iems,however, i have some inquiries. I have a pair of vsonic gr07 bass editions and i love them,but i'm looking to make something a bit better. After a few pages of lurking this thread, i think i have chosen my drivers [Knowles cl22955(1) and twfk(1) per ear]. Would those two fit in a shure 535 case? http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2254. I love the bass,but i prefer clean punches versus muddy, and i really like my snares and claps to sparkle as i listen to a lot of electronic music. Would my described set up work? If anyone had suggestions it would be much appreciated :)

Find measurements (size) in datasheets of CI and TWFK than go to Sonion, find 3300 driver and 2300 - compare size and see it they will fit. My guess they could with drivers in vertical position but there's always a chance they will not. Why don't you buy E5c shell form lunashops? E5c is based on CI and ED - so i this case CI+TWFK will fit easily.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #1,514 of 15,989
I'm still a bit confused about crossovers despite reading 17 pages into the thread,do I need them? And also,do you think the se535's mmcx connector will fit inside the e5c? Reason being I want to fit the ue connector converter http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2672. Furthermore, can an additional twfk boost highs? i hate veil XD. can a cross over fix this? how? can acoustic filters help? Lastly, sonion vs knowles? I live in canada so which will be the most cost effective,which one sounds better? Is the better sounding brand is more expensive, is it worth it?

Ps:sorry for all the questions,I'm quite ambitious XD

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,515 of 15,989
Quote:
  I'm still a bit confused about crossovers despite reading 17 pages into the thread,do I need them? And also,do you think the se535's mmcx connector will fit inside the e5c? Reason being I want to fit the ue connector converter http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2672. Furthermore, can an additional twfk boost highs? i hate veil XD. can a cross over fix this? how? can acoustic filters help? Lastly, sonion vs knowles? I live in canada so which will be the most cost effective,which one sounds better? Is the better sounding brand is more expensive, is it worth it?

Ps:sorry for all the questions,I'm quite ambitious XD

Ambition needs to be accompanied with diligence... you'll need to read more than 17 pages and a lot of outside reading as well. I've spent a long time reading about this stuff, and I can't say I really understand it well, either.

1. Neither Knowles nor Sonion are better than one another. It's a just a choice. The two companies have different strategies when it comes to products, but they have several analogous products as well.
  2. In general, the unit price of a Sonion driver is lower, but that's from a bulk order standpoint. You can order Knowles drivers in single units from DigiKey or Mouser, but for single units of Sonion drivers, you'll have to either get single samples from Sonion themselves, or on special order from Colsan.
  3. Yes, the MMCX will fit within the E5c. It has been done before. However, you'll need to do some simple Dremel work.
  4. An additional TWFK only gives you more "headroom", i.e. you can gain a bigger difference in SPL between the midrange and the highs, or the midrange and the lows, etc. Tonality is a relative thing.
  5. Acoustic filters are extremely important to shaping the sound. However, inside a universal shell, you'll be limited to a single damper. You'll need to shape the response by the highs or by the lows. That will be determined by the crossover implemented. Tubing is part of that equation (diameter, length), but if you're working with a universal shell, you'll be limited in those options.
  6. In essence, the "crossover" is a passive network of band-pass (high/low) filters. Their additive effect creates the aggregate response. It's difficult to implement a low-pass filter with balanced armatures, though, as inductors are problematic. There are some people who have hand-wound inductors specifically for these purposes, but few actually do that. Most people slap a heavy acoustic damper on the front and restrict the tubing diameter to act as an "acoustic low-pass", in addition to passive resistors to restrict absolute output. Resistors also have high-frequency attenuating effects because of the inductance of the BA drivers themselves, but those effects are not linear. Also, polarity will have an effect as well. If you connect a high-pass in reverse phase (e.g. 180 degrees out of phase, but BA drivers don't have even phase response across the entire bandwidth, so that's a simplistic explanation), then you'll get phase cancellation of certain frequencies if they're not identical responses. Crossovers can get messy if they're not designed well, so that's why most designers keep it simple.

(those with better electroacoustic knowledge than me, please correct my [probable] mistakes in explanation
redface.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back