Home-Made IEMs
Jun 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #1,306 of 15,992
Hmm I listened to XBA3 for a few minus and I liked the sound. I listened it from clip+ though from Samsung galaxy S it sounded very lacking

They are sensitive to output impedance which I tested.  They sound okay and some user preferences will like their new sound, however they're not free from faults, such as phase shift which you mentioned once before.  If you value laser-like precision and natural tones, they sound like VHS tape.  Still, if you've never heard an IEM before or you can get "into their zone", then they sound ok.

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #1,307 of 15,992
While I'm still working on my crossovers for my triple driver project, I made these:

I took drivers from and old pair of Shure E3C iems, that had a broken cable. Single Knowles BK-28562 driver inside. Good midrange, bass and a treble are a bit lacking, but there's only so much a single driver can do...

Sweet! What mould material did you use?

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #1,309 of 15,992
A silicone product called Silcoval MVE. It makes a good mould, but Its mixing ratio of adding 2% hardener is really tough to get right. So I'd suggest getting some easier silicone to work with.

When I was looking into this a silicone mould made more sense to me, gotta be more comfortable! Are they a hollow shell, if so is this hard to do with silicone?

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #1,310 of 15,992
Quote:
When I was looking into this a silicone mould made more sense to me, gotta be more comfortable! Are they a hollow shell, if so is this hard to do with silicone?

Oh, I thought you meant the negative mould material, which is this:

The shell i made from an epoxy called cold glaze. First I made a solid shell and hollowed it out with a dremel. Subsequent shells I cast hollow by using a "plug" made from a hot glue impression from the first shell. Like this:

Maybe the same method could be used  for casting hollow silicone shell as well. The problem would be sealing the shells afterward, as virtually nothing sticks to silicone, except maybe other silicone. You could try casting the shell with the drivers inside, if using silicone. Even though my epoxy shells are a hard material, I find them quite comfortable. I was positively surprised.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #1,311 of 15,992
Maybe the same method could be used  for casting hollow silicone shell as well. The problem would be sealing the shells afterward, as virtually nothing sticks to silicone, except maybe other silicone. You could try casting the shell with the drivers inside, if using silicone. Even though my epoxy shells are a hard material, I find them quite comfortable. I was positively surprised.

Great, thanks for the info!

I did see a video on Youtube of how UE or Westone (can't remember which) make their customs and they mentioned a mixed casting with Silicone tips and acrylic body.....essentially best of both worlds. I was thinking just casting them solid with the drivers in place would be ideal but difficult...and a pain in the butt if it goes wrong!

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #1,312 of 15,992
What did you make that casting mold from? I have now tried 2 things that did not work. Candle wax, and a pourable latex called  "mold builder." both ended up pulling away from the impression. the the latex mold builder was not it says you're supposed to paint on the mold one layer at a time until it gets built out.

Quote:

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #1,313 of 15,992

What did you make that casting mold from?

The answer is just few post above.

Quote:
A silicone product called Silcoval MVE. It makes a good mould, but Its mixing ratio of adding 2% hardener is really tough to get right. So I'd suggest getting some easier silicone to work with.

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #1,314 of 15,992
judging from the materials that has been used across this thread someone's going to get hurt finally. Don't use materials that are not compatibile with ISO 10993.

I know that making your own IEMs is tempting but remeber - safety first.

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #1,315 of 15,992
Quote:
Great, thanks for the info!
I did see a video on Youtube of how UE or Westone (can't remember which) make their customs and they mentioned a mixed casting with Silicone tips and acrylic body.....essentially best of both worlds. I was thinking just casting them solid with the drivers in place would be ideal but difficult...and a pain in the butt if it goes wrong!

If you cast the shells from silicone, it shouldn't be too hard to cut them open if something goes wrong. Not so with epoxy or acrylic.

Quote:
judging from the materials that has been used across this thread someone's going to get hurt finally. Don't use materials that are not compatibile with ISO 10993.

I know that making your own IEMs is tempting but remeber - safety first.

Most of these casting and mould materials are toxic when still uncured(especially the hardeners), but should be chemically inert once fully cured. Doesn't hurt to be careful though.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #1,316 of 15,992
I am looking for a crossover design for my next project.
The drivers will be:

one CI-22955 and one ED-29689.

Since the famous Etymotic ER-4s is using a single ED-29680 and the reviews are great,
I am thinking on adding a CI-22955 to compensate the known lack of bass.

Sugestions for the crossover and the filters are welcome!

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #1,317 of 15,992
Quote:
I don't think the Sony XBA's have acoustic dampers, they diaphragm is specifically tuned to a different frequency in each driver.  Either way, they don't suffice, I can't listen to the XBA-3 or XBA-4 for more than 30 minutes, I can't stand them.

I don't see whats wrong with acoustic dampers. Ultimate Ears use them in almost all, if not all their custom IEMs to shape the sound. Other custom IEMs just have a capacitor or resistor just for the sake of having a "passive crossover" for marketing as well.

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #1,319 of 15,992
Quote:

I don't see whats wrong with acoustic dampers. Ultimate Ears use them in almost all, if not all their custom IEMs to shape the sound. Other custom IEMs just have a capacitor or resistor just for the sake of having a "passive crossover" for marketing as well.

just like acoustic waveguides with speakers, they really arent enough all on their own. they are good for keeping the passive components in the XO to a minimum, but they cannot replace the XO entirely. for starters if the tweeter is sent the full signal including bass that is out of its operating range, you will kill the tweeter. there is nothing wrong with using them as a tool, but they simply cannot do the full job in a multidriver IEM, they can be used to filter the output frequencies, but they cannot filter the distortion and or damage caused by sending them audio and power outside of their SOA

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #1,320 of 15,992
Quote:

The shell i made from an epoxy called cold glaze. First I made a solid shell and hollowed it out with a dremel. Subsequent shells I cast hollow by using a "plug" made from a hot glue impression from the first shell. Like this:

some people are allergic to epoxy and it generally isnt considered safe to use internally

Users who are viewing this thread

Back