Home-Made IEMs
May 7, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #856 of 15,992
Nah, actually it's possible to make 3way 3driver IEM with dual-bore design, only two caps and one resistor and no low pass filter. It would be difficult but it's possible.

Tsn there's no need for semiconductors in IEM designs. Crossovers here are actually high and low pass filters made with caps and resistors. It's not complicated from the electrical point but it's complicated in calculations and measurments.

May 7, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #857 of 15,992
with no low pass filter and neglect the inductance of BA's 
the job is easy in this case 
do big manufacturers use same way 
or different?

May 8, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #858 of 15,992
here is my work 
i got help from piotrus-g
also big thanks  Bilavideo 
he leads a new horizon in my mind
i use 2323 for mid and highs
2015 for low
filter was a big problem for me 
because i did not think in turkey there is no filter ( no body know this) i have only green from old phones
and 
i also get a professional help in shelling proceses
because there is a lots of difficulties for ensuring the drivers and ,especially, filters-dampers-,
here is photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50080034@N08/show/with/4589711366/

note :
that's still in prototype 
and i am apply trial and error method for considering cap value and resistor 
also there is no filter in 2015 :frowning2:

i think this will be improved

sorry for my bad english :frowning2:

May 8, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #860 of 15,992
yes i got professional help for this application 
be honest a laid off on this job until come to a hearind aid shop for custom tips for my iem
then i tell them that idea and they said they help me for this aim so they prepare the shell 

also sorry for forgot to mark this detail 

May 31, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #862 of 15,992
CROSSOVER PARTS

Does anybody have any recommendations for best-quality crossover parts?  Given the choices available, where would you go and what would you choose?

True story.  I was listening to my UM3X again and, after listening to the HD800 and PS1000, was feeling bummed that the UM3X just didn't measure up.  Then, I put it through the EQ on iTunes and manually adjusted each frequency band, listening carefully to get that sweet spot.  When I finished, I was really surprised at how much better these headphones sounded.

These headphones are capable of delivering so much better sound, if tuned properly.  It's a testament to the power of a decent crossover.  It makes me wonder how many earphones out there are stuck in mediocrity simply because somebody hasn't come up with a cost-effective way to get the right sound.

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #863 of 15,992
I think sugru would be the perfect material to make these housings out of: http://sugru.com/  It's a moldable, air dry, rubber material. One guy added some to his ibuds in the gallery and they look like they seal decently now.

Jun 2, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #864 of 15,992

Quote:
I think sugru would be the perfect material to make these housings out of: http://sugru.com/  It's a moldable, air dry, rubber material. One guy added some to his ibuds in the gallery and they look like they seal decently now.

Mudgecoffee, you're a genius!  Well done!  This is exactly what I was looking for - moldable, hands-on, Joe-Lunchbox plastic/rubber.  I'm going to check it out.  If it's everything it appears to be, I'm going to use it to make some sporty customizable earpieces I can use to make some killer home-made IEMs.

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #865 of 15,992
Interesting. It seems to be useful for all DIYers. I like the way they've used it under PCBs. Great idea.
As for IEMs it is possible to use it I think, but you'll have to do it in two steps.
First make one half of IEM then add drivers tubing crossover and then close everything together with the second piece.
Hey! If you made it properly you'd be able to change drivers, x-overs and so one with a litte amount of work and time.
That seems genius!
It'd be awsome if they had clear sugru, don't you think?

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #866 of 15,992

Quote:
Mudgecoffee, you're a genius!  Well done!  This is exactly what I was looking for - moldable, hands-on, Joe-Lunchbox plastic/rubber.  I'm going to check it out.  If it's everything it appears to be, I'm going to use it to make some sporty customizable earpieces I can use to make some killer home-made IEMs.

Dudes.  You are making me nervous.  Instead of keep using random materials and risking your health, why not using stuff that is intended for this type of use?  Like this stuff:

Possible material for DIY custom sleeves

-john

Jun 8, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #867 of 15,992
We're making you NERVOUS?  Relax, then.  We've already ruled out hot tar and broken glass.

I appreciate the suggestion of the Radians material.  I will take a look at it tonight or tomorrow.  Apparently, you can get it at Walmart, in the sporting goods section.  It costs a few dollars more than through Amazon, but that's the cost of brick-and-mortar convenience.  

It's something when the molds have taken precedence over the drivers.  Since most people don't own a state-of-the-art plastic injection-mold machine, they've become dependent upon manufacturers, which have used a cloud of mystic mumbo jumbo to woo the public into paying exorbitant sums for plastic earplugs with drivers you can buy for a fraction of the cost.

If I'm no expert on plastic molding, that already went without saying.  For $80, there are places you can send a handful of drivers, with filters and replacement cables, and have them put the whole mess together - according to your specs.  You could even take a used IEM you'd bought for a song and have it professionally custom-molded.

For me, the question that remained was whether you could do this all at home.  We've had some really great contributions, some from professionals in the field, regarding the best drivers to use, the best way to design your own crossover, the best places to get the wire/cable.  The last chapter in this story has to be the one about how to devise your own custom mold without either breaking the bank or submitting to a process too complex or cumbersome for the Average Joe.  

That's why we're spitballing materials, even if it makes some folks NERVOUS.  We already know how to get a professional to do this.  For me, the nirvana of it all will come when we come up with a hack to easy anybody can do it.  

I'll give this material a look.  It may be too soft or too limited to compare to the hard plastics of the pros but you never know.  At any right, it's worth considering whether a $14 product at Walmart could render something better than the tips used with universals.

I'll know we've reached the critical threshold when the manufacturers get nervous.

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #869 of 15,992
I'm going to try both.  My wife is hitting Walmart for the Radians and I just bought the Shapelock pellets online.  Let's see if this stuff provides a usable molding for homemade IEMs.  I'm trying to avoid the nastier stuff.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #870 of 15,992
Bill,
I don't know if I'd use the shapelock directly... it gets a bit warm to the touch at molding temperatures.
I was thinking about  using the radians to make a positive impression of my ear, then making a negative mold from plaster of paris (or something), and then making a positive out of the shapelock, which could be drilled/machined like regular plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back