Home-Made IEMs
Jun 10, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #871 of 16,002

Quote:
Bill,
I don't know if I'd use the shapelock directly... it gets a bit warm to the touch at molding temperatures.
I was thinking about  using the radians to make a positive impression of my ear, then making a negative mold from plaster of paris (or something), and then making a positive out of the shapelock, which could be drilled/machined like regular plastic.

I definitely would not shove anything hot into my ear.  I've made impressions using home kits.  What you end up with is surprisingly accurate but the material, itself, which is rubbery, doesn't strike me as the best stuff to use for an in-ear tip.  It's best feature (soft and malleable against the irregular surfaces of the ear canal) is also it's worst feature: unwanted sound absorption.  A harder substance would vibrate less and provide a less resonant contact surface.

There are several ways to use the Shapelock.  One is to create a customized tip, not unlike the Westone UM56.  Tips are simpler.  Fabricating a tip is simply a matter of finding the right shape and girth.  With earphones that are as ergonomic as the UM3X, replacing the silicone and foam tips with something rigid (but custom-fit) is known to make a noticeable difference.  Owners of expensive custom-fit IEMs get defensive and are quit to point out the limitations of a "tip," but if one did nothing more than fix the problems with universal tips, one would be doing something right.

Another use for the Shapelock is to take that $20 home-ear impression you've made and either make a mock-up of it or (after applying a release) cover it over with the Shapelock so that you now have a hard coating.  The resulting hard-candy shell can be handled several ways.  If you apply the release with care, you will be able to cut and remove the shell to have your own empty container within which to lay your drivers, etc.  If you decide to keep the impression material intact, you can use it as padding and damping material for the drivers you lay within the halves of your new shell.  You'll have to cut away enough rubbery material to position your drivers but wrapping them in this rubbery material may be an effective way to damp their resonance.

I've been thinking about something else.  I'm a big fan of open-air headphones precisely because their open-air backs allow so much resonance to be released rather than become an echoey headache.  Baffle-less IEMs don't work, because the lack of a proper seal just kills the bass.  However, there's a difference between sealing the tip and sealing up the entire driver.  One of the most pervasive complaints about IEMs is the lack of soundstage.  There are ways to improve the situation, such as by using the widest-range drivers (to get that airy top end in HF) and low-passing the bass to the max, so that the bass doesn't crowd the midrange.  But resonance merits attention, too.  If the rear of the driver could be vented while the area from the front of the driver to the driver tip were sealed, you'd have a true open-baffle design, one that would cut a lot of spikes that limit how high these drivers can be cranked.  Doing so would help bring out a sculpted bass while preserving the airiness needed to present a larger soundstage.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding.

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #872 of 16,002
I got the Shapelock today.  It came in a medium-sized bag.  I'm planning to play with it tomorrow.  I'll probably start small and attempt some custom tips, along the lines of Westone's UM56.  We're just talking about replacing a soft foamy with a hard plastic, but the hard plastic should be some improvement over foam.

My next project will be to use the impressions I made from a home kit as a model for a Shapelock facsimile.  If I could have a plastic version of what I got from the impression material, I think I'd have something cool.

I'll update with pix.

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #874 of 16,002

Quote:
If the rear of the driver could be vented while the area from the front of the driver to the driver tip were sealed, you'd have a true open-baffle design, one that would cut a lot of spikes that limit how high these drivers can be cranked.  Doing so would help bring out a sculpted bass while preserving the airiness needed to present a larger soundstage.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding.

The TWFK driver is vented. Sonion offers vented drivers such as 2300i which is one of my potential favorites to the-best-wideband-driver. There're also 2000i and 2600i I believe. And of course vented 3300 known from SE530.
I'd assume vented 2000 to be a bass-monstrum :D

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #875 of 16,002

Quote:

The TWFK driver is vented. Sonion offers vented drivers such as 2300i which is one of my potential favorites to the-best-wideband-driver. There're also 2000i and 2600i I believe. And of course vented 3300 known from SE530.
I'd assume vented 2000 to be a bass-monstrum :D

I should clarify my point.  You are absolutely right: the drivers, themselves, are vented.  Guess what's not?  The shells.  I've owned an array of IEMs, not one of which had vented shells.  Even my beloved UM3Xs, which use the TWFK driver, don't sport vented shells.  Nor do I see any venting on the customs, except when somebody wants to pipe in ambient noise.

I'm talking about sealing the front of the IEM, to lock in the pressure and enhance the bass, but maintaining an open-air venting of the driver backs.  There are various ways to do this, including a tubation of the rear of the driver so that back-wave resonance is discharged.  I don't know what effect this would have upon sound isolation but, to me, it's worth exploring.  After all, nobody is doing it.  Why not us?

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #876 of 16,002

Quote:
I don't know what effect this would have upon sound isolation but, to me, it's worth exploring.  After all, nobody is doing it.  Why not us?

Complete lack of isolation. What's more external sounds would interfere with sound form driver. IMHO it'd be totally mess.
How ever I saw back vented shells in IE8 and FutureSonic Ear Monitor reshells. So it seems dynamics need venting

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #877 of 16,002
I think I'd still like to experiment with rear venting of the driver.  I don't want to compromise the seal.  I just want to do something about that closed-in sound.  At the very least, I would think a sound damping would help.  A small plastic shell is an echoey world.  I don't want that in my music.  It may be less of an issue with BAs because of the way they work, as opposed to the dynamics.  This milliwattage of power generates very tiny amounts of SPL, reducing the extent of the problem, but there are aspects of the loudspeaker world that could and should be considered in IEM design.

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #879 of 16,002
This thread is so immense, I'm going to try my luck asking some of the more experienced members here:

I lost the acoustic filter on the treble port of one of my JH13's.  Well, technically the lab doing the remolding lost it.  But anyway, I'm not sure JH will cover this bc they were bought secondhard, and I wanted to know if there was any place that I could buy a replacement filter, and if anyone here knew what it was (or could make an educated guess.)  I can post pictures of the other filter for visual reference, if that would help.

Thanks!
Andrew

Edit - just FYI, I've contacted JH, so we'll see what they say.  But I was just wondering what people ended up using for the triples to cover the dual highs, since it (might) be comparable/identical?

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #880 of 16,002

Quote:
This thread is so immense, I'm going to try my luck asking some of the more experienced members here:

I lost the acoustic filter on the treble port of one of my JH13's.  Well, technically the lab doing the remolding lost it.  But anyway, I'm not sure JH will cover this bc they were bought secondhard, and I wanted to know if there was any place that I could buy a replacement filter, and if anyone here knew what it was (or could make an educated guess.)  I can post pictures of the other filter for visual reference, if that would help.

Thanks!
Andrew

Doesn't hurt in asking JH does it? Try them first.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #881 of 16,002
Count me in!
etysmile.gif
May be I can help in this project. It is so exciting!

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #884 of 16,002
Thx, Ujamerstand. [update: KA Damper now available at Mouser] 

I have also ordered serveral items in Warner Tech Care. I asked Lee to ship it to Hong Kong. He then got me the estimated freight cost of my order: nearly $60 for $190 worth of material and tools.
eek.gif

I am not sure whether accept the deal or cacnel it and go Egger, They have a agent in Hong Kong called Phonak hearing centre. Phonak have everything for making a earmold but I'm sure that I can't got a westone impression material for $0.18 each there.

How do you guys get samples from Knowles and Sonion. How do you ask them? Should I said anything about my intention?
tongue.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #885 of 16,002

Quote:
Thx, Ujamerstand. [update: KA Damper now available at Mouser] 

I have also ordered serveral items in Warner Tech Care. I asked Lee to ship it to Hong Kong. He then got me the estimated freight cost of my order: nearly $60 for $190 worth of material and tools.
eek.gif

I am not sure whether accept the deal or cacnel it and go Egger, They have a agent in Hong Kong called Phonak hearing centre. Phonak have everything for making a earmold but I'm sure that I can't got a westone impression material for $0.18 each there.

How do you guys get samples from Knowles and Sonion. How do you ask them? Should I said anything about my intention?
tongue.gif

190 dollars worth of materials?! Did you buy all the expensive resins or something? Just go with whoever is cheaper, nothing wrong with that. About the samples, just ask. Tell them the exact models that you need, and state your intentions. Shipping charges may apply. Apparently Knowles has an office in Taiwan, so you might want to phone/email them first. You guys even get Sonion distributors right in Hongkong! Us in North America are not so lucky...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back