Home-Made IEMs
Jun 9, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #15,331 of 16,074
I just got an Ausonds au-flex ANC neckband for <$20 shipped. Dd+planar combo, the ANC board is all built in to the faceplate. Has LDAC, good set of parts for the price. Not sure exactly what to do with it yet, but I've got a few ideas.

Jun 11, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #15,332 of 16,074
Hi there, I did my CIEMs with Sonion BA and regarding to your suggestions it sound really good. I wanted to ask you to take a look with your experienced eye and if there is anything to improve to push it a little bit further to get the best results? Is there anything I can do to add a little 1K and lose the 6k peak? That’s my setup and the graph:
So you connected (-) to (+) on sonion 33 ? Looks good.
But i connected it this way ? Am I using right approach? Somehow this way it gets louder. What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #15,333 of 16,074
So you connected (-) to (+) on sonion 33 ? Looks good.
But i connected it this way ? Am I using right approach? Somehow this way it gets louder. What do you think?
This is parallel wiring and its the only way Ive ever used this driver series. Certain 33 models pack a SERIOUS punch and can get a bit loose and inaccurate if not tamed pretty well. On the other hand, the way it handles the sub frequencies of an 808 will get your ears percalating. Its great paired with a 2389 for an exceptional straight forward, no frills, work horse of an IEM. Easy to wire up and simple to install. Although, be mindful of the two back vents between the solder pads. If you use flux to any degree, when soldering drivers, be extremely mindful of their placement.

Jun 11, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #15,334 of 16,074
What’s gonna happen if you close the back vents? Bass drop?:D I did series/parallel connection and parallel is the one which works the best. Thanks to your suggestions SWTNATE. Btw what was your best setup for the 33 and 2389? Did you try 2389D?

Jun 11, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #15,335 of 16,074
What’s gonna happen if you close the back vents? Bass drop?:D I did series/parallel connection and parallel is the one which works the best. Thanks to your suggestions SWTNATE. Btw what was your best setup for the 33 and 2389? Did you try 2389D?
Closing the back vents of the really powerful dual subs will/ can lead to increased sound pressure and limit the headroom due to it not being able to breathe. Then, depending on how hard your pushing it, the magnet(s) could become destablized leading to permanent damage of the internal coil/ magnet. Now, thats worst case scenerio. More than likely it will just sound muted and bland. Sorta like, hey theres bass in there. As opposed to “holy cow that bass drop slapped”.

I typically pair the 2389 with a certain 3300/i9. Pretty simple and straight forward build that has a really large and upfront sound stage with fairly descent separation in playing stereo. Mono singles have really good performance as well due to that driver pairing not overloading each other. Just remember, that setup is a rowdy loud setup for a triple.

for the 2389D, I prefer pairing it with the 3800 with ferrofluid. That dual sub is totally worth the extra price due to its exceptionally natural slope without any additional electronic components. The center tap really works in your favor here.

Jun 11, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #15,338 of 16,074
Big time question for the group. Over the last few years of building all these different configurations Ive been married to the ED29689, TWFK, SWFK, and WBFK. For my high frequencies/ tweeters & mids. Recently, Ive had a breakthrough using the 2389 and the 2389D whenever shell real estate is ample. One struggle is the relatively lower outputs of these drivers in the sparkle portion of the spectrum Along with a max 110dB to 115dB before adding the necessary capacitor(s) to shape the curve. I have been really anxious to try out the new RAU super tweeter from Knowles. However, the response curve is still pretty meh. The only plus is the lack of mid trail before getting to the highs. So, theres a question in here somewhere! 😂😂😂. What gives?!? what is the RAU compared to its counter parts WBFK and SWFK? How does it stack up in circuit? Does it really offer comparable performance to

Jun 11, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #15,339 of 16,074
Big time question for the group. Over the last few years of building all these different configurations Ive been married to the ED29689, TWFK, SWFK, and WBFK. For my high frequencies/ tweeters & mids. Recently, Ive had a breakthrough using the 2389 and the 2389D whenever shell real estate is ample. One struggle is the relatively lower outputs of these drivers in the sparkle portion of the spectrum Along with a max 110dB to 115dB before adding the necessary capacitor(s) to shape the curve. I have been really anxious to try out the new RAU super tweeter from Knowles. However, the response curve is still pretty meh. The only plus is the lack of mid trail before getting to the highs. So, theres a question in here somewhere! 😂😂😂. What gives?!? what is the RAU compared to its counter parts WBFK and SWFK? How does it stack up in circuit? Does it really offer comparable performance to
The short answer is you will still need a tweeter/fullrange in conjunction with an RAU. It appears (per the graph) that it doesn't hit 100DB until the 7K range, so something else is going to have to pick up the slack....this guy is just for "sparkle" in my opinion. My worry is everything else will need to be attenuated so much that the overall output will sound flat. I've got most of the new knowles drivers and am currently working up designs, so take what I say as guidance until I actually get some builds done. If anyone has completed some builds, I'd love to hear as I'm still prototyping.

Jun 11, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #15,340 of 16,074
The short answer is you will still need a tweeter/fullrange in conjunction with an RAU. It appears (per the graph) that it doesn't hit 100DB until the 7K range, so something else is going to have to pick up the slack....this guy is just for "sparkle" in my opinion. My worry is everything else will need to be attenuated so much that the overall output will sound flat. I've got most of the new knowles drivers and am currently working up designs, so take what I say as guidance until I actually get some builds done. If anyone has completed some builds, I'd love to hear as I'm still prototyping.
This is what I suspected. Im totally fine with it only being for that 7k+ area. Im just struggling to see where and how it is a real improvement over the WBFK or the SWFK.

Jun 11, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #15,341 of 16,074
This is what I suspected. Im totally fine with it only being for that 7k+ area. Im just struggling to see where and how it is a real improvement over the WBFK or the SWFK.

When I've used the sonion est's, I've used them in conjunction with other tweeters. I use a highpass so I'm not wasting energy (normally about 3K for me() but I only use the est to add sparkle and some high end breath....if that makes sense. It can add some dimension to even wbfk/swfk constructs....I never use them without "help". The appeal of the RAU is that's ALL it does...without that big transformer that takes up SOOOO much room in a build. Not sure yet if the RAU needs a highpass...one of the things I gotta figure out.

Jun 12, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #15,342 of 16,074
When I've used the sonion est's, I've used them in conjunction with other tweeters. I use a highpass so I'm not wasting energy (normally about 3K for me() but I only use the est to add sparkle and some high end breath....if that makes sense. It can add some dimension to even wbfk/swfk constructs....I never use them without "help". The appeal of the RAU is that's ALL it does...without that big transformer that takes up SOOOO much room in a build. Not sure yet if the RAU needs a highpass...one of the things I gotta figure out.
ok! Now its starting to click with potential! If theres no need for a series capacitor to get the highs to cut through that would be amazing! Im curious though how the FR could remain consistent across multiple driver configurations.

Jun 12, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #15,344 of 16,074
Anything above 10kHz is big improvement in RAU over WBFK/SWFK
It needs a high pass, even though the levels are lower below 7kHz they will still affect the rest of FR, you'll also have an impedance problem as it will decrease overall impedance of the whole set up.
@piotrus-g have you been gathering data secretly on this pretty sweet little unit? I wonder if they will beat out Knowles in the race to be first in the market.

https://sonion.com/sonion-hybrid-module/
Actually I don't know much about this module. I think it's been quite a while it's been available and Knowles has one too - I think it's DD+RAN set up. Bellsing also has one which is DD+BRC305 I think.
Overall these are mass-market solutions for super easy and fast assembly, so you might be looking at MOQ in thousands from Sonion and Knowles.

Jun 12, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #15,345 of 16,074
PSA for those of us that purchase in small batch components. The last round of black and clear flush mount female 2-pin connectors I received from Aliexpress are INCREDIBLY sensitive to the iron. I typically use my solder at 360-365. Well within range of the Knowles recommendations. These pins will loosen considerably after a couple three taps at that temperature. Im trying to figure out a micro sized heat sync and will keep you posted. If you typically have .75 male pins… it might be high time to have some .78 pinned cables handy. Its heart breaking to see… 😂😂🥲🥲

Users who are viewing this thread

Back