Home-Made IEMs
Dec 25, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #14,644 of 16,104
Anyone used the 38D2XJ yet? Even steeper than 38D1XJ. That with sonion ESTs, what would you do for mid/full?
interesting. do you have a source for them?
i was thinking of giving the 38d1xj a go with the knowles fed-30048 for mids/highs. but i may not even need a crossover if the 2xj is that steep.
i feel like the sonion ESTs will be the weak spot with those tho. by all accounts its really hard to tune them to properly fill out the highs without being whispy. plus you lose the all-ba coherency advantage that you get with ba mids and bass.

Dec 25, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #14,645 of 16,104
Post #13607 from January has a taobao store number where I got the 38d2xj, not sure if they still have them

Edit: I used 26859 fed in a 10mm planar tribrid, 13mm dd, no filters, it is very realistic sounding, compared to single 10mm planar (same driver.)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #14,648 of 16,104
which dremel bits do you folks use for ciem making?
I use these for grinding the faceplate flush, for ciems smaller round bits are also useful and of course normal drill bits.
C22B6B49-80CE-44AB-BE4B-FCBC60C46A91.jpeg

Dec 26, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #14,650 of 16,104
which dremel bits do you folks use for ciem making?
I use a couple of bits...sharp point for cutting edges or starting pilot hole for tubes then the larger carbide bid for rounding edges and boring out the final holes for the tubes. I also use 120 and 220 sanding wheels...these are very important as you can smooth out first with the 120 then go finer with the 220. Ill use my bench sander at times if i'm working with a thick faceplate. I attach my faceplates before cutting as it allows me more control of postion....I can center the best parts where i want them and cut away the rest. I ALWAYS 220 the shell prior to dipping as it helps the finish. Yes, I laq3 the INSIDE of my shell as well as it helps get a fantastic finish. I put a few pics below.....note the dipping of the shell...it's tubes are long and capped and the connector socket is sealed with aluminum tape....quick spin in laq 3 for less than a second, tap to remove drips, spin for 5 minutes then UV. Note the prepped shells are dull looking....don't worry about it as they will pop when lacquered. I threw a pic of a gold shell that shows how I center my wood....final result on right.

Attachments

• blue trim.jpg
    blue trim.jpg
    885.9 KB · Views: 0
  • blue edge.jpg
    blue edge.jpg
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 0
  • blue grind.jpg
    blue grind.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • blue edge 2.jpg
    blue edge 2.jpg
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 0
  • blue wheels.jpg
    blue wheels.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • blue prepped.jpg
    blue prepped.jpg
    694.8 KB · Views: 0
  • dip.jpg
    dip.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 0
  • gold blank.jpg
    gold blank.jpg
    776.9 KB · Views: 0
  • gold final.jpg
    gold final.jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 27, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #14,652 of 16,104
I use a couple of bits...sharp point for cutting edges or starting pilot hole for tubes then the larger carbide bid for rounding edges and boring out the final holes for the tubes. I also use 120 and 220 sanding wheels...these are very important as you can smooth out first with the 120 then go finer with the 220. Ill use my bench sander at times if i'm working with a thick faceplate. I attach my faceplates before cutting as it allows me more control of postion....I can center the best parts where i want them and cut away the rest. I ALWAYS 220 the shell prior to dipping as it helps the finish. Yes, I laq3 the INSIDE of my shell as well as it helps get a fantastic finish. I put a few pics below.....note the dipping of the shell...it's tubes are long and capped and the connector socket is sealed with aluminum tape....quick spin in laq 3 for less than a second, tap to remove drips, spin for 5 minutes then UV. Note the prepped shells are dull looking....don't worry about it as they will pop when lacquered. I threw a pic of a gold shell that shows how I center my wood....final result on right.
these are such pretty designs! i especially like the purple/blue one. looks amazing!!

Dec 27, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #14,655 of 16,104
just ordered a pair of fed-30048s. gonna make an er4xr/sr style deep insertion design with my 3d printer. i figure as long as the shell isnt making tons of contact with my inner ear, i shouldnt have any issue using pla. plus i cant get any impressions made in the next month, so a universal design will work best. lets hope there isnt any channel imbalance cos i cant really test them with the mics i have. its my new years present to myself lol

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back