Home-Made IEMs
Sep 23, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #13,396 of 15,989
Hello thread, I was on here a couple year back to ask for advice on a simply build for my wife who has one weird ear.
The suggestions helped, the iems were really impressive but they have broken over the last couple years, so I decided to fix them when she told me that her one ear still spits them out, so I researched a bit and it seems like good custom ear tips are 150 bucks + shipping
And a cheap (probably crappy sounding) ciem is around double that.
Seeing as we are not executives and can not afford $1000 ciems, and to be honest $300 for a crappy iem seems like it's just throwing away cash
I do however own a dremel, with many tips for drilling teeth and doing very fine wood work, I also have basic knowledge of mold making (4 years studying sculpture)
I have smd solder Station, several types of solder, and many small dental picks and tools.
So my question to you guys is what other equipment will I need besides
Nail uv light, a uv flashlight (for any small hard to reach spots)
A double boiler for the agar agar, a hot plate, different drill bits, buffing wheels.
Dental wax/paraffin wax
Nicefit, egger or dreve uv shell acrylic
Uv lacquer
Litz
A bunch of smd caps and resistors
Solder and rosin
Some type of quality quickset glue
Acoustic tubing and filters
Drivers

What else should I be looking at?

I was also thinking of purchasing a bottle of nail uv gel, and practice making shells with (not to waste the overly expensive good skin safe stuff) but I am curious because some guides/tutorials I found mentioned that this can be done if to use proper lacquer?
But I am curious wouldn't this cause bleeding of one chemical into the out lacquer?

Yhanks

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #13,397 of 15,989
I have done 3 (4, one dual) driver with high pass, full range, and low pass and it was a bit strange but worked well, I can make a sketch, or what software is easy to make a diagram and save a picture with?

Does anyone notice a benefit to electrical filters vs only physical? Or does the driver take care of itself and you just hear what you hear? Physical, electric, or both, does it matter if you have the same frequency response?
Use vituixcad.
Electric filters have a wider action, they modify the impedance too . The damper on less action , they act especially in the high frequency to soften the crest , it’s sort of mufflers. Tube diameter and length also act as filters. All this to say that these 3 parameters are complementary.

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #13,398 of 15,989
Hello thread, I was on here a couple year back to ask for advice on a simply build for my wife who has one weird ear.
The suggestions helped, the iems were really impressive but they have broken over the last couple years, so I decided to fix them when she told me that her one ear still spits them out, so I researched a bit and it seems like good custom ear tips are 150 bucks + shipping
And a cheap (probably crappy sounding) ciem is around double that.
Seeing as we are not executives and can not afford $1000 ciems, and to be honest $300 for a crappy iem seems like it's just throwing away cash
I do however own a dremel, with many tips for drilling teeth and doing very fine wood work, I also have basic knowledge of mold making (4 years studying sculpture)
I have smd solder Station, several types of solder, and many small dental picks and tools.
So my question to you guys is what other equipment will I need besides
Nail uv light, a uv flashlight (for any small hard to reach spots)
A double boiler for the agar agar, a hot plate, different drill bits, buffing wheels.
Dental wax/paraffin wax
Nicefit, egger or dreve uv shell acrylic
Uv lacquer
Litz
A bunch of smd caps and resistors
Solder and rosin
Some type of quality quickset glue
Acoustic tubing and filters
Drivers

What else should I be looking at?

I was also thinking of our hashing a bottle of nail uv gel, and practice making shells with (not to waste the overly expensive good skin safe stuff) but I am curious because some guides/tutorials I found mentioned that this can be done if to use proper lacquer?
But I am curious wouldn't this cause bleeding of one chemical into the out lacquer?

Yhanks
I recommend a 711 coupler, it's a 90$ investment but you can boost your results in another league

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #13,399 of 15,989
I recommend a 711 coupler, it's a 90$ investment but you can boost your results in another league
Great, I was actually thinking about getting one, but I guess I will need a sound card to, and a good mic

Sep 24, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #13,400 of 15,989
Great, I was actually thinking about getting one, but I guess I will need a sound card to, and a good mic
You can get the $9 Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle, it's sufficient and super linear as a soundcard. Mic is included with the 711 coupler

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #13,402 of 15,989
And 38D1XJ for 100Hz and lower

Bass shelf point is 200Hz and bass rise is linear 10dB

I think i have enough boom to shatter reality
How do you get your bass shelf down to 200hz? I’m trying to lower the shelf to 150Hz. No luck so far.
High value caps mess with phase (are to big and expensive) Dampers won’t do it. Really thin tubing I find unpredictable -and clogs up with earwax. Long tubing would in theory mess up timing? Well…this is what keeps me awake at night at the moment…

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #13,404 of 15,989
How do you get your bass shelf down to 200hz? I’m trying to lower the shelf to 150Hz. No luck so far.
High value caps mess with phase (are to big and expensive) Dampers won’t do it. Really thin tubing I find unpredictable -and clogs up with earwax. Long tubing would in theory mess up timing? Well…this is what keeps me awake at night at the moment…

Try high passing the mid driver at 250-300hz ? This helps create a more pronounced shelf

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #13,405 of 15,989
Hi there, how are you tubjng the drivers , the approx D of drivers snout is 1.4
I can find 1.5 ID 2.5 OD which is fine but how i can mount dampers , there measurement is 1.12 mm ,1.78 mm and 2.08 mm .
My question is this What techniques can be used to get the dampers and tube right?

Sep 27, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #13,406 of 15,989
I have a question for all of you.
I bought a bottle of Egger resin, I ran out but I couldn't find the same resin, so I bought a bottle of Dreve. All good, looks the same, cures in the same time but I still have some leftovers of Egger (small colored portions), is it possible to mix them up? has anyone tried this before? or is it better to just trash the remainings and start with all fresh resin.

Thanks a lot.

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #13,408 of 15,989
I have a question for all of you.
I bought a bottle of Egger resin, I ran out but I couldn't find the same resin, so I bought a bottle of Dreve. All good, looks the same, cures in the same time but I still have some leftovers of Egger (small colored portions), is it possible to mix them up? has anyone tried this before? or is it better to just trash the remainings and start with all fresh resin.

Thanks a lot.
Just use up all the left resin as is. Use it as adhesive for the faceplate, drivers, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back