Home-Made IEMs
May 12, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #12,828 of 15,989
In the most cases the capacitance is lower. So lower tolerance the best

Sure, but it depends what value you really want. When I do breadboard stuff I put a few smaller caps in parallel and try to optimize the frequency response curve before deciding what nominal value cap (or combination of caps) I end up using. If you use 0805 or smaller, stacking 2 or 3 in parallel isn't a big issue for space inside the shell. So a 20% tolerance (agree it is usually -20%) on 22uf is no big deal if you can just add a 4.7uf to it bring it back up.

My experience with 20% 100uf 0805 caps is they averaged 70-75uf, but after soldering to them it was 85 with less variation than before soldering.

May 15, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #12,831 of 15,989
that GQ is damped and it effects the wbfk extension
you can add wbfk with same tube as RAB(or make them into one)- there is a zobelception circuit in this thread which adds wbfk in RAB zobel
this might give you far superior high frequency extension

but my suggestion is

start with simple iem which teaches you basics rather than jumping to MASM or RAB-p(well, its a choice, if you only want to have good iem, then its fine... if you want to learn, its better we start making something new)

just tell me, how many drivers you want to use and i will write down the specs down here and what will it do
Thanks for the tips. My primary goal is to have nice inears for listening to music.

Building my own and understanding more sounds nice as well, but the thought of tuning and figuring out if something doesn't sound well is kind of scary.

For this I would probably need an iec711 (and a variety of acoustic dampers), right?

I don't know how many drivers would be necessary... I would like to have a non fatiguing sound with decent Bass and don't really want to spend over 100$ on the drivers. As said, I was quite happy with the BS6 + Zobel.

May 16, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #12,833 of 15,989
Hi, does anyone have any ideas where to buy a pair of Bellsing 10013?
SoundLink no longer has a single driver from Bellsing and I can't find anything else from the company.

Colson micro might have those still. If you get on taobao (I'm in the US so I use superbuy to purchase) you can find bellsing stuff usually searching for "domestic moving iron". "Double sound" also seems to be another name for bellsing. Searching is tricky, Google images and site:taobao.com seems to work pretty well. There are 29689, 30095, raf/rab equivalents, and others if you can find them.

May 17, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #12,834 of 15,989
Hi, does anyone have any ideas where to buy a pair of Bellsing 10013?
SoundLink no longer has a single driver from Bellsing and I can't find anything else from the company.
Hey there,
I think Bellsing renamed the 10013 to 90013. I was searching for the 10013 a month back and found the 90013 in their new (?) product lineup called Bellsing Hornet Series. If you go to the product page http://www.bellsing.com/en/show-325-304-1.html and click the spec sheet, then in the product sheet it says SPR283C10013. I'm pretty new to the world of custom IEMs and may be wrong so take this with a grain of salt.
Sadly a quick search on Taobao from my side wasn't successful, so good luck on your search!

Since this is my first post in this thread I want to thank all of you contributors for this amazing source of knowledge!

I've built my first IEM (og MASM, thanks @dhruvmeena96) about a month back and my IEC711 should arrive this week if I'm lucky. So soon enough I'll be able to really dive into this new hobby.
For my next project I want a little more bass and then just an overall good performance which lead me to a combination of the Sonion 38D1XJ007Mi/8a as a bass driver and then the classic and well performing Knowles TWFK-30017.
So my idea was using 1x 38D1 and 2x TWFK and be done with it until the Sonion 2389D popped up here and there again in this thread and now I'm not so sure anymore.
Would a combination of 1x 38D1, 1x TWFK and 1x 2389D make sense?

May 17, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #12,835 of 15,989
Hey there,
I think Bellsing renamed the 10013 to 90013. I was searching for the 10013 a month back and found the 90013 in their new (?) product lineup called Bellsing Hornet Series. If you go to the product page http://www.bellsing.com/en/show-325-304-1.html and click the spec sheet, then in the product sheet it says SPR283C10013. I'm pretty new to the world of custom IEMs and may be wrong so take this with a grain of salt.
Sadly a quick search on Taobao from my side wasn't successful, so good luck on your search!

Since this is my first post in this thread I want to thank all of you contributors for this amazing source of knowledge!

I've built my first IEM (og MASM, thanks @dhruvmeena96) about a month back and my IEC711 should arrive this week if I'm lucky. So soon enough I'll be able to really dive into this new hobby.
For my next project I want a little more bass and then just an overall good performance which lead me to a combination of the Sonion 38D1XJ007Mi/8a as a bass driver and then the classic and well performing Knowles TWFK-30017.
So my idea was using 1x 38D1 and 2x TWFK and be done with it until the Sonion 2389D popped up here and there again in this thread and now I'm not so sure anymore.
38D1X is amazing, good choice. For the 2389D I can't say, as I have not finished tuning my build.

May 17, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #12,836 of 15,989
38D1X is amazing, good choice. For the 2389D I can't say, as I have not finished tuning my build.
Hey there,

2389D is not that great because those two same driver in that nozzle has cancellation resonance at 6k.. I mean, it has rougher response compared to single 2389.

How did you like the MASM by the way?
Also, it wasn't tuned by standards but by decombing the graphs of two driver, so they can fill up dips. And to experiment with different timbre of fullrange at the same time.

OG masm means MASM3 orignal, MASM3 pro or Final revision

May 17, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #12,837 of 15,989
The resonance problem sounds bad and I don't know if I could find a workaround for it. So 2x TWFK + 38D1X then. I want to experiment with my next project, having the parts on a breadboard setup and measure and fiddle around until I understand most things. If it then also sounds good I'd be happy.

I used this schematic for the MASM build

VegJ0Ov.png

I like this build a lot. It definitely sounds different to anything I've heard so far in the IEM world. The intimacy of vocalists, the details of instruments and the overall spaciousness sound very exciting to me. However, this build really is special and I want to see what the measurements are once my 711 arrives.

May 18, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #12,839 of 15,989
Do you guys use potentiometers and variable capacitors for prototyping?
Would there be downsides to using them over getting multiple caps/res with different values?
Technically you could just to get around a value you might like, listen and get an idea, but it's not recommended. Because nailing an exact value is difficult and you'll have to measure the output with a dmm to be sure you are in the same ball park. So repeatability is complicated. It's too much work with too much uncertainty.

May 18, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #12,840 of 15,989
Do you guys use potentiometers and variable capacitors for prototyping?
Would there be downsides to using them over getting multiple caps/res with different values?
Here is my tuning tip. I use extra small on/off DIP switch, with 2 soldered resistors or caps. You can listen ptototype and change values "on air" while listening. The possibilities for mixing elements are endless. Just simply recalculate and solder new capacitors and resistors. Changes are possible up and down, you just choose series or paralell.

1 .jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back