Home-Made IEMs
Jul 27, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #11,356 of 15,974
4.7Ω parallel 5.3Ω series
It is the baddest bass BA there is, but without attenuation it's just too loud. Feel free to try it without, but I don't think it'll be as fun as it sounds on paper :wink: I'll throw up some graphs from my iMM-6... if I figure out how to actually record a response graph 😓 can't figure out the audiotool app.
Thanks, understood. I will use your supplied values. I am tempted to try without... but thats a bit of a pain!

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #11,357 of 15,974
Hello everyone, I hope you’re all healthy and feeling optimistic!

We’d love to expand our R&D Department. If you, or someone you know, lives in the US and might be interested in working for 64 Audio, please email me directly at: vitaliy@64audio.com

Thanks for your time!!
-Vitaliy B.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Jul 29, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #11,358 of 15,974

We’d love to expand our R&D Department. If you, or someone you know, lives in the US and might be interested in working for 64 Audio, please email me directly at: vitaliy@64audio.com

Thanks for your time!!
-Vitaliy B.
Would love to join the team, sadly I cannot :frowning2:

Good luck finding someone! :)

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #11,359 of 15,974
Finished GQ+RAB shells here in imgur:

https://imgur.com/gallery/YduT1jl

Look great, and sounded great at low volumes, but the bass absoloutely flubbed out at higher volume....I mean really farted! I thought it was because I had used the gq710 instead of the 738 which may cause my flac player (plenue1) to crap out. However, I checked the ohm of both sides of my new IEM's and they were right at 17.2 ohms. I then compared to 30 ohms for my Alclair studio 4's which are MUCH louder. Anyone guess what the issue may be? I did remove the port covering on the RAB....

Aug 1, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #11,360 of 15,974

Thanks for your time!!
-Vitaliy B.
I wish i lived in the US :p Sadly from germany it is a bit of a commute.

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #11,362 of 15,974
Okay guys,
This is my second try of the 5 driver 3 way configuration.
I again 3D printed the shells and finished them with a carbon fiber face plate. The Logo is from the musician himself.
For some this built might look familiar, thats because i allready build these IEMs but they got stolen in the DHL delivery chain :frowning2:

I hope this time they make it through, wish me luck :p

Ps.
There is no polishing done yet so the defects you see on the faceplate will be gone.

Aug 1, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #11,363 of 15,974
Hello everyone! I am very new into diem and have been reading the post here and the google docs for weeks. I have gotten myself RAB32257 and ED29689 and tried to make single driver iem with them. RAB32257 was fine until I accidentally pulled off the solder pad. But I would like something that sounded much more completed.
I would like to ask for recommended drivers that would not break my wallet, I am thinking of a 2 driver configuration and something more towards mid centric with good treble extension. I am looking at knowles cl22955 and knowles DTEC30265 as low to mid and 29689 as mid to high.
Also how are bellsing drivers? I know about the knowles lawsuit against bellsing, but their drivers are cheaper, are they actually similar or they are much worse?
Also I am actually kind of interested in what are the best 50USD cost configuration can one make? I assume that would be something like single driver RAB?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #11,364 of 15,974
Finished GQ+RAB shells here in imgur:

https://imgur.com/gallery/YduT1jl

Look great, and sounded great at low volumes, but the bass absoloutely flubbed out at higher volume....I mean really farted! I thought it was because I had used the gq710 instead of the 738 which may cause my flac player (plenue1) to crap out. However, I checked the ohm of both sides of my new IEM's and they were right at 17.2 ohms. I then compared to 30 ohms for my Alclair studio 4's which are MUCH louder. Anyone guess what the issue may be? I did remove the port covering on the RAB....
They look great, i like how the wood and the color of the resin match each other.
Conserning your problem. How did you wire your GQ/RAB?

Aug 1, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #11,365 of 15,974
Okay guys,
This is my second try of the 5 driver 3 way configuration.
I again 3D printed the shells and finished them with a carbon fiber face plate. The Logo is from the musician himself.
For some this built might look familiar, thats because i allready build these IEMs but they got stolen in the DHL delivery chain :frowning2:

I hope this time they make it through, wish me luck :p

Ps.
There is no polishing done yet so the defects you see on the faceplate will be gone.

This looks so great bud! <3

Aug 1, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #11,367 of 15,974
They look great, i like how the wood and the color of the resin match each other.
Conserning your problem. How did you wire your GQ/RAB?
I wired them in parallell, just like furco's original design...no l-pad, no resistors to damp...just the stock tubes with dampers. I did add an extra filter (pretty sure it was a 3300....i'm not home to check) at the end of the GQ to attenuate the treble, which i thought was too bright. I suspected this was a function of the the higher impedence of the gq-710 causing an extension of the treble as compared to the gq783 I was SUPPOSED to use...did I miss something?

Regarding the color, I learned lot on this build. I used Shilohs method of making a clear iem, then coating the inside with a reflective purple nail polish. I did a neat trick to get polish on curved surfaces inside...I filled the inside with distlled water then floated the purple polish on top. I then used a syringe to suck the water out...as the water level fell it took the polish to the sides in a nice even layer, much like how they do intricate nail patterns at a salon, just with one color. I used resin obsession stain to match the wood, then dipped the entire thing into laq3 (plugged the tubes with toothpicks and covered the mmcx with pipe tape..works great!), put each on a rotator twice to even the finish before putting them in my cure chamber.

On your printed shells, how much sanding and final buffing is required? You have a very nice clean finish!

Aug 1, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #11,368 of 15,974
I wired them in parallell, just like furco's original design...no l-pad, no resistors to damp...just the stock tubes with dampers. I did add an extra filter (pretty sure it was a 3300....i'm not home to check) at the end of the GQ to attenuate the treble, which i thought was too bright. I suspected this was a function of the the higher impedence of the gq-710 causing an extension of the treble as compared to the gq783 I was SUPPOSED to use...did I miss something?

Regarding the color, I learned lot on this build. I used Shilohs method of making a clear iem, then coating the inside with a reflective purple nail polish. I did a neat trick to get polish on curved surfaces inside...I filled the inside with distlled water then floated the purple polish on top. I then used a syringe to suck the water out...as the water level fell it took the polish to the sides in a nice even layer, much like how they do intricate nail patterns at a salon, just with one color. I used resin obsession stain to match the wood, then dipped the entire thing into laq3 (plugged the tubes with toothpicks and covered the mmcx with pipe tape..works great!), put each on a rotator twice to even the finish before putting them in my cure chamber.

On your printed shells, how much sanding and final buffing is required? You have a very nice clean finish!
A quick look on the datasheet tells me that both GQ models have a nasty peek at 6k which sound harsh. Just from the datasheet i like the the 710 more which fits the higher impedance of the RAB quite good. I see no reason why your base should be effected tho. What do you mean by flubbed?

On regards of sanding:
I did not sand a whole lot, just a couple of passes with 320 grit sandpaper in a rotary tool. Also i did not polish anything yet. I still need to polish the faceplate as it is a bit uneven.

Here are some pictures how it looked before:

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_153402.jpg
    IMG_20200731_153402.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200731_094353.jpg
    IMG_20200731_094353.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200730_110020.jpg
    IMG_20200730_110020.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200729_142531.jpg
    IMG_20200729_142531.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200729_141801.jpg
    IMG_20200729_141801.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #11,369 of 15,974
A quick look on the datasheet tells me that both GQ models have a nasty peek at 6k which sound harsh. Just from the datasheet i like the the 710 more which fits the higher impedance of the RAB quite good. I see no reason why your base should be effected tho. What do you mean by flubbed?

On regards of sanding:
I did not sand a whole lot, just a couple of passes with 320 grit sandpaper in a rotary tool. Also i did not polish anything yet. I still need to polish the faceplate as it is a bit uneven.

Here are some pictures how it looked before:
When I say flubbed, I played Tool's "invincible" and the speed was not there..it lost all punch, speed, and response...verging on heavy distortion. At low volume, it is fine. Is the bass predminanty coming from the GQ and would it possibly be a fix to go to a smaller tube? I know a smaller tube would be more low pass and it may help attenuate the nasty 6k peak, yet i have no idea how to calculate that size and length!

Aug 1, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #11,370 of 15,974
I guess i would try to dampen the GQ to remove a bit of the sharpness maybe 2200 ohm?! And for additional bass i would heavily filter the RAB with 4700ohm and a 2mm OD 1mm ID tube of say 18-25mm. But i would need to try this as well just a quick shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back