Home-Made IEMs
Oct 31, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #10,291 of 16,094
Oct 31, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #10,292 of 16,094
In my opinion soldering skills for single driver or Knowles stacked up drivers (GQ/GK) is exactly the same - two wires and that's it. In my experience single driver setups are a bit lacking in everything.. If your choice of shell can accommodate GK, I strongly recommend it. You can choose either one or two tubes and use dampers according to your preference. I used green one since I do not like intensive high frequencies, but anything from grey to green are fine.

To make single driver sound good it takes a lot of effort - zobel cirquit, additional series resistors, horn tubing, Helmholtz resonator, etc. dhruvmeena96 can point you to the right direction. And still they are lacking in spaciousness and bass impact (limitation of the driver).

Popular option is to take ED+18 ohm res + green filter, but it sounded way too bright and sibilant for my ears.

So a single driver is more work to tune then a pre assembled staked b.a.

So what would be the simplest option, keeping size to a minimum (the diems I see here definitely won't fit her) I am looking for simple, small options for now, but in general the work I see you guys doing gets me fairly excited

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #10,293 of 16,094
@Themilkman46290

For drivers RAB32257 and RAB32033

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/page-618#post-15009124
(Guide)

https://imgur.com/gallery/6KbsuyT
(Sheet to follow)

these two links are guide to RAB-p Universals

for Custom Shell

add a 3mm ID/3mm lenght tube overlap at the end (https://imgur.com/gallery/6KbsuyT) to make it a horn.
Thanks a lot, is there a way to do this in a smaller form?
Will this be simpler then a pre assembled b.a. Stack like the others I mentioned?

And I just want to say the work that all of you guys do is pretty dam cool, has me very very interested

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #10,294 of 16,094
The Finale 2 is quite small, very good sounding and as simple to solder as it gets. It has insane transparency and accuracy, and therefore it's very revealing with regards to flaws in your DAC/AMP.

Knowles FED30048
2Ω resistor in series
Tube: 2mm ID no Damper. 7.5mm length for universal IEM, 14mm length for CIEM version

Knowles ED30761
Tube: 2mm ID 2200Ω (Red) Damper after 1.5mm from nozzle, 3300Ω (Orange) Damper at tip. 9.5mm length for universal IEM, 16mm length for CIEM version.

Otherwise, I am an all time proponent of Bellsing 6 + Z.

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #10,295 of 16,094
Thanks a lot, is there a way to do this in a smaller form?
Will this be simpler then a pre assembled b.a. Stack like the others I mentioned?

And I just want to say the work that all of you guys do is pretty dam cool, has me very very interested
First of all, tuning matters.
And ideally you should have single speaker, just that speaker are not so supper efficient to do so, thats why we need crossover..

So, I made the singe BA complex.

It will also get the U version, all the buddies waiting for.
RAB-u(u for ultimate)

For Final 2..

You can try that, it is a good iem. Well, tuning was spot on for some reason

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #10,296 of 16,094
I would buy another iem, but I have about 9 so far and my wife uses 0 and I prefer buds,
So after a few hundred dollars thrown away on iems that she doesn't use
I want to try and make them, not buy them

So a 2ohm resistor in series, from what I understood from reading before I just need to attach it straight from the jack to the driver right?
What would be better resistors to use?
Final 2 is this a driver, kit or complete product? I can't find it, only final e2000

Bellsing 6 is this one right bellsing.jpg
So what kind of values do I need on the cap and resistor for this zobel, I tried searching the thread but didn't see much on bellsing

Is a zobel universal?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #10,297 of 16,094
Finale 2 is the community name of the recipe ( @dhruvmeena96 named it), it is a 2 driver recipe.

The drivers are Knowles FED30048 (available e.g. via mouser) and Knowles ED30761 (available via aliexpress soundlink) The 2 ohm resistor in series is only for the FED30048 driver, the other driver is directly connected to the mmcx jack.

I use simple SMD 1206 resistors, they work fine. Others here obsess over the differences between resistor types, but at the low currents of an IEM the differences between resistor types is not very much. Its a different story in a speaker crossover with higher currents.

The series resistor is obviously reducing the volume of the FED relative to the ED and not so obviously also shifting the frequency response and the impedance curve.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #10,298 of 16,094
Bellsing 6 is this one right
So what kind of values do I need on the cap and resistor for this zobel, I tried searching the thread but didn't see much on bellsing

This looks more like a Bellsing 5, the Bellsing 6 is officially called Bellsing 10013

Check this post for schematics and my reviews: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/page-666#post-15167542

Is a zobel universal?

No, it has to be tuned to the drivers you use. It should approximate the inverse of the impedance curve of your drivers so your dac/amp "sees" a constant impedance.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #10,299 of 16,094
I would buy another iem, but I have about 9 so far and my wife uses 0 and I prefer buds,
So after a few hundred dollars thrown away on iems that she doesn't use
I want to try and make them, not buy them

So a 2ohm resistor in series, from what I understood from reading before I just need to attach it straight from the jack to the driver right?
What would be better resistors to use?
Final 2 is this a driver, kit or complete product? I can't find it, only final e2000

Bellsing 6 is this one right

Is a zobel universal?
OK..wait

What's your budget...clear that out first?
Then what's the preference of sound signature?
How many drivers you want?
Do you want custom or universal shell?

Don't jump into building one so quick.....we have too many builds and whole community is here to help.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #10,300 of 16,094
I guess I should mention, I can't order from mouser, digikey, Farnell, or taobao

Living in Ukraine, so I am locked in with Alliexpress, or I can pay outrageous shipping charges

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #10,302 of 16,094
OK..wait

What's your budget...clear that out first?
Then what's the preference of sound signature?
How many drivers you want?
Do you want custom or universal shell?

Don't jump into building one so quick.....we have too many builds and whole community is here to help.

OK, she has a weird ear canal, one ear goes inward (normal) the other takes a sharp turn towards her face and no iems fit, so far the sure body type has stayed put for about 20-30 minutes but they also pop out
Budget, around 70-100 bucks including cable(I will make it, shouldn't be more the 15 bucks or so)
As far as sound goes, she is not treble sensitive but likes a bit of bass, she tends to like neutral with a little bass hump

I was thinking of using a bought iem shell, but I am not closed to the idea of making something, I studied sculpter so it shouldn't be too hard (I have made a lot of moulds)

Maybe I should start a pm? I don't want to junk up your guys thread, or is it cool that I post on here like this?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #10,303 of 16,094
You won't get the FED from ali express, but mouser should have worldwide free shipping.
Mouser charges about $30, digikey are the only people that will send, but I need to buy so much before they send and I couldn't get a couple drivers, had to order 25....

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #10,304 of 16,094
Your wife needs a custom IEM, the amount of universal models you have tried suggests any universal IEM will pop out.

While you can build a custom IEM for the budget you state, the tooling and excess material you will need to buy will quickly exceed your budget. If you really want to start building CIEMs calculate approx 400$-500$ in tooling and material for the first working pair, depending on what you have in your workshop and how many tries you need until you have a good pair.

After that you probably will be able to build a pair for ~$20 + the cost of the drivers.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #10,305 of 16,094
OK, she has a weird ear canal, one ear goes inward (normal) the other takes a sharp turn towards her face and no iems fit, so far the sure body type has stayed put for about 20-30 minutes but they also pop out
Budget, around 70-100 bucks including cable(I will make it, shouldn't be more the 15 bucks or so)
As far as sound goes, she is not treble sensitive but likes a bit of bass, she tends to like neutral with a little bass hump

I was thinking of using a bought iem shell, but I am not closed to the idea of making something, I studied sculpter so it shouldn't be too hard (I have made a lot of moulds)

Maybe I should start a pm? I don't want to junk up your guys thread, or is it cool that I post on here like this?

Normal IEM maker will ask you to go for tip rolling, means try ‘every single’ ear tip in the market. I also have slightly picky ear canal, but I manage to find a few shells that suits me.

Let me know if you have access to Taobao.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back