Home-Made IEMs
Oct 5, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #10,111 of 16,072
hello guys, new avid DIYer here, started my own inner iem experimentations and got the inner works done the way i like it no just need to work on how the outside of the iem works and looks

i bought these off amazon as they had the shape i liked, they are made of alluminum, how do i wipe those letters off the alluminum body without destroying or discoloring the metal.
_i worked hard on these iems and i am proud of them,nothing special biut worked with my son on them for quite the hrs

please help
_DAve

https://imgur.com/dEFA71k
I think that would be impossible on CCA...I think its mass laser engraved...

You can sand paper the whole surface, and then Polish..

But if you want better suggestion, go get it done new in metal workshop, because I think these would be thin metal faceplate by stock

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #10,113 of 16,072
how do i wipe those letters off the alluminum body without destroying or discoloring the metal.
I think you will have to sand it off, as it might be engraved or anodized.
After sanding, you will need to restore the surface finish I can’t give you the exact formula, but first sanding with increasing grit and then using a polishing compound like Brasso might work. I have no personal experience, so look around on the internet on how to correctly polish aluminum.

Oct 6, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #10,116 of 16,072
Can you tell me the zobel for ed29689. Is it a 20ohm resistor or 10ohm?
Use 20uF cap with 9ohm resistor/10ohm resistor...

A small notch at 3.4kHz and dip at 5kHz .....but very straight line.

Adding a series resistor after the zobel will make impedance ratio super flat

Using in ER4 zobel

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #10,122 of 16,072
Driver -> zobel -> resistor -> mmcx

If you want to make ER4 clone

so its gonna look something like this: ?

Asset 1-100.jpg

Oct 6, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #10,123 of 16,072
so its gonna look something like this: ?

Yahhh....

Always try to keep capacitor on positive... Many people on other forums have reported electrical losses..

That's the only issue with putting resistor first, capacitor after that. They report that, in Zobel also, if not followed in order, the capacitor tends to add sound tone... Another engineer quoted that it was electrical loss and nothing like adding tone..

I still did not see any difference on BA and headphone dynamics drivers, but there was a significant difference in sound with loudspeaker in treble region(front and back loaded horn speaker diy)

Treble seemed damped.

One guy gave me example, that in ideal conditions, this doesn't happen and small driver like BA dont suck so much volt or ampere, so capacitor ESR and tolerance error doesn't effect that much.
In speaker, those small % error becomes huge and resistor electrical loss parameters comes into play due to Musical signal or Rapid changing signal(we call it breakdown)

If C is used first, you make the resistor get less load...

In ideal situation or less voltage situation, it doesnt do anything but better follow conventional method.

And conventional method also have an issue

Its ESR and ESL
Keep them in minimum..

losses due to ESR will inhibit a capacitor’s ability to quickly source or sink charge. At the input, increasing ESR increases high frequency noise across the capacitor, decreasing filtering effectiveness. At the output, higher ESR causes more ripple, influencing stability of the control loop.
ESR is particularly important in applications with low duty-cycle, high-frequency current pulses.

the ripple voltage due to the ESR will be greater than expected based on capacitance alone, although the negative correlation of ESR

So that means, if a High ESR is used, first of all, the zobel is wrong. Secondly its impedance will behave randomly (even though still flat) according to the music.

Tested it in labs here

Will post observations when I go to my old office

Oct 6, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #10,125 of 16,072
IMG-20191006-WA0033.jpeg

Can anybody make the STL file for this..

RAB-p tube structure

Dont want to adjust tube till I get perfection.... Its an hassle

And I dont know how to do 3D properly...I used to get it done by a friend who recently left the office and is now way too far away and way too much busy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back