Home-Made IEMs
Sep 21, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #10,067 of 16,074
Screenshot-2019-09-21-at-13-01-09.png

Started getting better at shells... Thanks for all the help everyone Just need to work on getting the insides perfect

Sep 21, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #10,069 of 16,074
Do u had the schematic for single driver RAB or ED? it might be interesting to build 3 pair of them, full resin printed tube, half resin half tube, full regular tube.

Here

Hi, this is what I have in my notes, but I don't know if its the final version, I'm a bit confused too :sweat_smile:

RAB-P
Resonator(shifted near horn, for less tube effect)
1.2mm ID 2mm OD(6.5mm length from spout)
2.0mm ID 3mm OD(1.0mm length, Resonator, Buffer Mouth for horn)
1.2mm ID 2mm OD(2.5mm length)

Horn
2.0mm ID 3mm OD(2.5mm length) -> White Damper
3.0mm ID 4mm OD(3mm length)

Zobel circuit
Cz = 4.6uF
Rz = 41ohms

Series resistor 20ohms

Sep 24, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #10,073 of 16,074
wow, it's nice. what kind of damper did u use? since it's only one damper and its very close to the driver.

I'm building MASM7, but my small ears made it hard to connect its 3 tubes in a small space so this was the solution I came up with, it's a green damper.

Would you mind sharing the STL and/or your cad project ?

Sure, no problem. Here they are. Also made a RAB-p horn.

Hmmm... having trouble getting the zip file to appear

Here it is: STL files

Attachments

• RAB-p horn and BS6 cap.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #10,075 of 16,074
Hello Everyone,

after doing some more research, I have finally finished a list of all the ingredients needed for my Finale 2 build (similar to @fredcrys list). During the process I came up with some more questions though:

1) Does the resistor design really matter ? At some point @dhruvmeena96 wrote that wire wound resistor have the blackest background, but maybe it´s better to get like 100 resistors from aliexpress so you can match a perfect pair ?

2) How much resin is needed for a pair of CIEMs, including faceplates ? I would prefer to order resin whenever I want to build something, instead of just having a bunch standing around.

3) Do you guys have any thoughts on 2 Pin vs. MMCX ? I read that the MMCX sometimes have connection problems, while the 2 Pins are prone to bending, any other thoughts ?

4) Are wax guards something to consider ? As far as I can tell from the pictures, some people use them, some don´t. Do they alter the sound quality ? Should the sound tubing be shortened accordingly ?

5) And finally, does someone have the FR of BS6Z and Finale 2 ? Didn´t find them so far, but maybe I´m also just blind. Any comparison to other (universal) IEMs would be appreciated too.

PS: Is there any point in documenting my building process and maybe writing a detailed guide?

Sep 24, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #10,076 of 16,074
1) Does the resistor design really matter ? At some point @dhruvmeena96 wrote that wire wound resistor have the blackest background, but maybe it´s better to get like 100 resistors from aliexpress so you can match a perfect pair ?

I was not able to hear the difference. Resistors are readily available in 1%, I cannot hear a difference. Ceramic caps are different, you can get them in 10% and the cheap ones often are worse than 10% off. So measuring and matching pairs makes sese.

2) How much resin is needed for a pair of CIEMs, including faceplates ? I would prefer to order resin whenever I want to build something, instead of just having a bunch standing around.

The problem is you need more resin to fill up the impression, then you pour back most of it. Using a 30g bottle I can do ~8 pairs. But using a 10g bottle I wasn't even able do one pair for my ears because it wouldn't fill up the impressions.

3) Do you guys have any thoughts on 2 Pin vs. MMCX ? I read that the MMCX sometimes have connection problems, while the 2 Pins are prone to bending, any other thoughts ?
I only used MMCX so far.

4) Are wax guards something to consider ? As far as I can tell from the pictures, some people use them, some don´t. Do they alter the sound quality ? Should the sound tubing be shortened accordingly ?
I tried, I don't use them, they are too big and cumbersome for my taste, especially for dual bore designs they are not really practical. I use dampers at the tip, doubles as a wax guard anyway.

5) And finally, does someone have the FR of BS6Z and Finale 2 ? Didn´t find them so far, but maybe I´m also just blind. Any comparison to other (universal) IEMs would be appreciated too.

SPL Bellsing 6 23.5 uf vs 22uF.png Finale2.png

Dont know how accurate they are, I think the finale 2 measurement has problems.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #10,077 of 16,074
Hello Everyone,

after doing some more research, I have finally finished a list of all the ingredients needed for my Finale 2 build (similar to @fredcrys list). During the process I came up with some more questions though:

PS: Is there any point in documenting my building process and maybe writing a detailed guide?
Precision Wirewound and Metal foil comes at very low tolerances. Wirewound seems to act like a micro inductor in series. You can check that out if you zoom the FR enough on the peak.

Well the difference is negligible in wirewound and metal foil, but carbon resistor might be a different story.

Carbon resistor are poor in impedance charts, tolerances and almost everything. That can add certain artifacts to sound.

Most difference is in capacitors though.

I mentioned resistor tuning as a very slight fine tuning method when used with capacitors

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #10,079 of 16,074
Hi guys,

Just want to ask about resins. I have a slight confusion.

Will a 385nm resin cure with 405nm light? I have a 3D printer that have a 405nm light but most resins I like are 385nm. AFAIK, 385nm resin will cure with 405nm light but 405nm resin won't with 385nm light.

Sep 28, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #10,080 of 16,074
Hi guys,

Just want to ask about resins. I have a slight confusion.

Will a 385nm resin cure with 405nm light? I have a 3D printer that have a 405nm light but most resins I like are 385nm. AFAIK, 385nm resin will cure with 405nm light but 405nm resin won't with 385nm light.
Yes it will probably cure. you'd have to adjust exposure time maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back