Home-Made IEMs
Sep 7, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #10,007 of 15,991
Sonion electrostatic is on soundlink. It's very expensive, maybe a single driver version won't be :upside_down:. Here is the link.

How fragile is this driver for testing, removing and adding tubes, resoldering etc.?
Damm, that's 200$ territory

Its okay, but do make sure to not handle it roughly
I bought 2 pairs of EST at that cost.

But then it is single pair and available to all, cannot question the pricing for now.

Let's see in future

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #10,008 of 15,991
Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #10,009 of 15,991
All these specific drivers are on soundlink

Knowles SWFK - 32625 might be the best tweeter if you want to just raise the existing treble sightly.

Knowles ED26805 might be the ED29689 + green damper + 20ohms replacement for me. Might be used in Savant style build, as this might remove the learning curve whatsoever. Zobel will be introduced. Final 2 might get a spinoff update

Knowles ED26821 is Sonion 2354 with more warmth and bass. Might also be used in future build

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #10,012 of 15,991
All these specific drivers are on soundlink

Knowles SWFK - 32625 might be the best tweeter if you want to just raise the existing treble sightly.

Knowles ED26805 might be the ED29689 + green damper + 20ohms replacement for me. Might be used in Savant style build, as this might remove the learning curve whatsoever. Zobel will be introduced. Final 2 might get a spinoff update

Knowles ED26821 is Sonion 2354 with more warmth and bass. Might also be used in future build

Any reason why those drivers cost twice the ED29689?

Sep 9, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #10,015 of 15,991
Can u guys recommend any book/e-book about diy IEM?
It really depends how deep you want to get...

If you want overview with basic knowledge(to level of building iem)
You can use @Furco book.

OK
Here is my classification

Level Basic
1. @Furco compilation book
2. Playing with dampers

Level intermediate
1. Extreme knowledge of passive circuit in signal. Get any electrical and electronics book
2. Good and thorough understanding of Balanced Armature Transducer parameters(actually learn conventional speaker parameters)
3. Master handbook of Acoustics by F. Alton Everest.

Level Advanced
1. Building IEM experience
2. Tube acoustic physics(open, closed, variable dimension etc)
3. Resonance calculation
4. Method of representing the acoustic pathway as an electrical circuit and control individual parameters.

Level Extreme
1. Computer simulation of sound parameters and fixing it
2. Instrumental simulation of electrical parameters and fixing it(impedance and phase)

Level Godly(and I mean I haven't covered topics myself thoroughly)
1. Tube flow mechanics and Natural crossovers
2. Tia Concept(its really very hard to implement, but understanding concept thoroughly might help)
3. Helmholtz Resonator
4. Janus Resonator
4. Adjacent tube resonator
5. Hybrid pressure to wave change
6. Mapping heat zone inside acoustic pathways and fixing it with mathematical equations
7. Reducing distortion just by structural acoustic science.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #10,016 of 15,991
It really depends how deep you want to get...

If you want overview with basic knowledge(to level of building iem)
You can use @Furco book.

OK
Here is my classification

Level Basic
1. @Furco compilation book
2. Playing with dampers

Level intermediate
1. Extreme knowledge of passive circuit in signal. Get any electrical and electronics book
2. Good and thorough understanding of Balanced Armature Transducer parameters(actually learn conventional speaker parameters)
3. Master handbook of Acoustics by F. Alton Everest.

Level Advanced
1. Building IEM experience
2. Tube acoustic physics(open, closed, variable dimension etc)
3. Resonance calculation
4. Method of representing the acoustic pathway as an electrical circuit and control individual parameters.

Level Extreme
1. Computer simulation of sound parameters and fixing it
2. Instrumental simulation of electrical parameters and fixing it(impedance and phase)

Level Godly(and I mean I haven't covered topics myself thoroughly)
1. Tube flow mechanics and Natural crossovers
2. Tia Concept(its really very hard to implement, but understanding concept thoroughly might help)
3. Helmholtz Resonator
4. Janus Resonator
4. Adjacent tube resonator
5. Hybrid pressure to wave change
6. Mapping heat zone inside acoustic pathways and fixing it with mathematical equations
7. Reducing distortion just by structural acoustic science.
Oh god, i thought i knew a thing or two, now i think i knew nothing.

btw, thx for answering, i've built my 1st pair by following your bellsing6+zobel schematic, and it's great.

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #10,017 of 15,991
Oh god, i thought i knew a thing or two, now i think i knew nothing.

btw, thx for answering, i've built my 1st pair by following your bellsing6+zobel schematic, and it's great.
It was not me
Thanks to @Ivan TT and @eunice
Bellsing 6 Zobel or BS6Z is @eunice tuning and zobel by @Ivan TT

I am creator of MASM, Final and RAB series

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #10,019 of 15,991
Can u guys recommend any book/e-book about diy IEM?
In addition to @dhruvmeena96 suggestions, I think you should take a closer look at loudspeaker design books, and also study on acoustic implements. Master handbook of Acoustic is a great book for that.

Also read Hi-fi Loudspeaker and enclosure by Abraham B. Cohen for more insight on enclosure and how it effects phase and SPL. This book also shows a little bit of how to represent acoustic pathway as electrical pathway for easier management.

Last but nor least, Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook by John Borwick for more examples of multi-driver system, this book is also very detail on acouctical and electrical circuitry that you can apply on making multi-BA IEM. It also shows you how to measure speaker SPL and resonance, decay, which is very useful tho.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #10,020 of 15,991
In addition to @dhruvmeena96
Last but nor least, Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook by John Borwick for more examples of multi-driver system, this book is also very detail on acouctical and electrical circuitry that you can apply on making multi-BA IEM. It also shows you how to measure speaker SPL and resonance, decay, which is very useful tho.

Could you share a pdf with us my dear friend :wink: Why is is so expensive ? Boy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back