Home-Made IEMs
Sep 4, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #9,977 of 15,993
MASM 6 = BS5 + RAB

Hmm, how was the sound???

I was previously using the SCARY build, coming from that, I feel the MASM6 has better mids and is more balanced all around, the SCARY bass feels warmer to me and it's highs sound more airy compared to the MASM6.

In one word, I would say MASM6 is punchy! I'm about to give Finale 2 a shot.

The only down side with these builds (in my case only) are my small ear canals, to fit both 2mm ID tubes I need to pour the acrylic with the drivers pre installed in the mold.

It's hard keeping up with all the builds... LOL, great stuff dhruvmeena96!

Sep 4, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #9,978 of 15,993
Hi,

Here is a diagram of basic crossover. I've seen preinstalled filters on Knowles GK and Bellsing 6 drivers bundle, they only have a capacitor and a resistor. So basic principle is resistor will low-pass, capacitor will high-pass. Values depend on the driver.

Smaller diameter tubing also works as a low pass filter. Higher value damper works as a low-pass.

Horn shaped end of the tube will increase high frequencies.

As for the problem you have, maybe you can simply try adding dampers through the nozzle of the IEM to reduce intrusive high-frequencies. You can also add acoustic foam between the nozzle and the eartip, sound might become more enjoyable.

I personally would not open up this 3D printed, 8 driver per side small IEM. I would assume tolerances there are so minimal you would not be able to put everything back let alone change some drivers.

Thank you @Kulgrinda, I just want to confirm when you say "low-pass" does it mean that it Filters high freqs so low freq can pass, right? As far as the project I guess I will have to figure out how to add the acoustic foam or damper. The holes of the 3D printed acoustic structure look smaller than a damper, judging by the pictures, I will have to investigate.

I used 0805 XR5 caps (22uF seems to be the highest value available in this size), but avoid Y5V as they have bad tolerances and fluctuate with the temperature.
Caps could also be paralleled (and resistors too), this helps to get over tolerances (as these average out), I usually use x2 or even x4 resistors in parallel if I don't have required values handy.
I'd say 10 or even 20% variation in values is not an issue as zobel has minimal effect on FR and also works due to capacitors reactance, which is not changing in line with the capacitance as much.

@Ivan TT, You mentioned before the resistor in parallel, I am having a little trouble picturing the design. Would this diagram represent what you have done with the resistors in parallel?
https://crcit.net/c/6077593d05204f01bad4ead747f9d9f3

Sep 4, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #9,979 of 15,993
Faceplates with holographic flakes for MASM7 coming up!

@kmmm Curious question, of all the projects you have done which recipe would you consider suitable for listening to music (iPod, phone, etc.) and which would you think it can work well for live playing? Also if it is possible, whichever you considered, would you be able to link the specs, materials, etc., whatever you have.

Thank you

Sep 4, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #9,980 of 15,993
Guys, I'm new here, gonna build my 1st DIY Iem,

I'm gonna use some universal IEM shell from aliexpress or pry open some KZ IEM for their nice shell, since i don't have any experience on custom molding.

Do u guys happen to know any tested recipe or recomendation for the driver? Single BA, multi BA, and Hybrid are welcome.

Sep 4, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #9,982 of 15,993
@kmmm Curious question, of all the projects you have done which recipe would you consider suitable for listening to music (iPod, phone, etc.) and which would you think it can work well for live playing? Also if it is possible, whichever you considered, would you be able to link the specs, materials, etc., whatever you have.

Thank you
Well I think others might be more experienced then me on this forum to answer your questions regarding different recipes. Also it all comes down to taste. I like MASM3 pro, and it’s not to hard to make. If you’d like it even easier a “simple” GV is also nice. BUT I find that listening throughout an iPhone with only apples lightning to jack adapter is almost useless. The source really matters. The MASM3 pro sounds really thin and flat through iPhone. But with balanced cable though my Fiio Q5s it’s just amazing. Bass is solid and fun and makes some of the criticism of this recipe invalid.

Some people use gear to listen to music.
Others, like me, use music to listen to gear.
If you belong in the last category, I guess you you’ll just have to try more then one.... And you probably will get hooked.

I find shell building most challenging. You think you finally nailed it, but then you find a flaw. Check out some early post. Especially from Shilohsjustice. His shell building skills are epic! Without dhruvmeena96’s recipes I probably wouldn’t have come to far... I still don’t understand half of it!

I buy all my shell materials from mcear.de
I’m in Europe. Really nice people. They’ve also got some tutorials online. My colors are from Resin Obsession. Everything else is Sound Link on AliExpress. Resistors and such I buy from mouser.

You’ll find everything I know and allot more in this thread.
Start on page 200 or thereabouts.

Keep us posted.
(Sorry for the long post)

Sep 4, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #9,983 of 15,993

Thank you
Here are my opinions on the best ones I have built so far.

BS6+Zobel is the least picky regarding the source. It sounds good even from an iPhone. It also has the bass slam of PA sound systems. The only downside is slight coloration of the mids, but you only hear this in comparison to Finale 2. Finale 2 has more detail and is more suited to audiophile listening, but it lacks a little bass.

Masm 3 pro https://crcit.net/c/4ce3d237c3f04c1fb1db93ab4b4c46d7

BS6 + Zobel https://crcit.net/c/49f54ed9

Finale 2 Reference CIEM https://crcit.net/c/7d75c8a5

Finale 3 CIEM https://crcit.net/c/bd30416c

Comparison MASM with resonator vs BS6 (and others): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/page-603#post-14961816

Comparison Finale 2 Reference, Finale 3, BS6: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/page-627#post-15023250

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #9,984 of 15,993
How do some of you put the tubes down through smaller canals?
I know some people stop the tubes short of the exit and bore a hole for the sound to escape. (Not sure how to even do this method and get the tubes the exact distance from the exit on each monitor). I had a broken pair of westones one time and they did this. I just feel like each ear won’t sound the same if the tubes aren’t in the exact same location, right?
I’ve always done the method where you put measurements on the tubes, pull the tube out the end of your bore hole and make sure the same length is coming out of both iems. But I’ve only ever done one tube. So idk how to even go about making two fit

Secondly, when companies like JH Audio do the small metal tubes at the end of their iems, doesn’t that tiny diameter metal tube change the sound?

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #9,985 of 15,993
Thank you @Kulgrinda, I just want to confirm when you say "low-pass" does it mean that it Filters high freqs so low freq can pass, right? As far as the project I guess I will have to figure out how to add the acoustic foam or damper. The holes of the 3D printed acoustic structure look smaller than a damper, judging by the pictures, I will have to investigate.

@Ivan TT, You mentioned before the resistor in parallel, I am having a little trouble picturing the design. Would this diagram represent what you have done with the resistors in parallel?
https://crcit.net/c/6077593d05204f01bad4ead747f9d9f3
Those 50ohms are in series.

Parallel the 50ohms after the capacitor

Sep 4, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #9,986 of 15,993
@dhruvmeena96 @Ivan TT @kmmm @eunice thank you guys for your responses. You guys have put many things in perspective for future builds. My idea is to use the Bellsing6+Zobel for live drumming and build another one just for jamming music from my phone at the gym or wherever perhaps the Finale-2 since seems to give the best bass of all the others.

I received yesterday my package from Soundlink, it was very fast, now to the Audiologist to get my ear impression and then to Dreve to get the 3D Printed Shell. After the Bellsing6+Zobel project, I will try to make my own shell.

What transparent material, other than Agar-agar, can I use to make the negative mold, that I can get here in the USA?

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #9,988 of 15,993
Anyone ever tried Electrostatic with Finale 2? I think if we crossed it at bery high frequency, like 12kHz or 14kHz, it’ll show good result. I’m convincing myself to buy a pair (TAOBAO has it now boiz) , but I see some post before said that it’s a very unstable driver. Any tip?

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #9,989 of 15,993
What transparent material, other than Agar-agar, can I use to make the negative mold, that I can get here in the USA?
I also have two component silicone but it’s more expensive and kinda Messi (brand is trollfactory)

Agar-agar is plant based and is also used for cooking, you can get it in the grocery store. To turn it into the impression material you need to add glycerin, the recipe is somewhere here in the thread.

If you have a dreve shop they will sell you the impression material too. Maybe it’s easier for the start to go with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back