Home-Made IEMs
May 25, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #9,108 of 15,989
Does this indicate that the BS6 + Zobel has V-shaped sound?
The graph is normal mic recording and I guess ain't calibrated.

Bellsing 6 is v shape but balanced and RAB has slightly more mids. That is due to DTEC bass

@Ivan TT

Is it RAF x 2 series and Zobel.

And how about adding a tweeter like SWFK32254 with 1uF capacitor

May 27, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #9,111 of 15,989
Does anyone completely fill their IEM shell with resin? Does that make them too heavy?

I do sometimes. It seems like it sounds better to me but I have no proof. And yes, it's quite heavy - if you have small ears it'll fall out.

May 28, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #9,112 of 15,989
Are there any Australian's here who have been able to find a local supplier for Dreve Lack 3? I have found it on Mcear and ailexpress, both of which do not want to ship down under.
I had been intending to 3d print my CIEM shells on my anycubic photon and seal the shell post initial curing with Lack 3, to make it skin safe - 'biocompatible'.

Are there other more commonly used and easily accessible lacquer/sealants I should consider?
Is cured UV resin, skin safe as is? (post curing it)

May 28, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #9,113 of 15,989
Are there any Australian's here who have been able to find a local supplier for Dreve Lack 3? I have found it on Mcear and ailexpress, both of which do not want to ship down under.
I had been intending to 3d print my CIEM shells on my anycubic photon and seal the shell post initial curing with Lack 3, to make it skin safe - 'biocompatible'.

Are there other more commonly used and easily accessible lacquer/sealants I should consider?
The Dreve, egger and pro3dure resin and their lacquers are skin safe. Some say you can use whatever resin you like and cover it in lacquer.

@Ivan TT is from NZ, maybe he has an idea.

May 28, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #9,115 of 15,989

I wont use the resing from anycubic its not skin safe and any coating will react with it and will also make it non skin safe. There are special resins for hearing aids but they are expensive.

May 28, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #9,118 of 15,989
There are special resins for hearing aids but they are expensive.

FYI post mostly for the benefit of any fellow Australians who go searching for answers later.

I had queried Dreve on the attainment of products such as Lak 3 in Australia.
They let me know materials - "impression material and direct material" are considered 'Medical Devices'.

Due to recent changes to Australian law, All 'Medical Device' imports and sales are regulated by the Therapeutic Goods Administration and any importers or producers of said devices must be themselves registered to import said class of device and subsequent products registered. Warnings, fines etc. for non compliance.

In essence, Home Made - made in Australia CIEMs that are certifiably 'safe' are therefore impossible to make.
Perhaps you might be able to source appropriate materials from an existing registered importer. However this would be in breach of the need to also register the end user product. (This is my interpretation).

There are obviously hearing aid makers and a few CIEM makers here, so i presume they have jumped through the hoops.
There are also resellers of all the big brands.. so i suppose they too have jumped through the hoops.
As for the major brands who I assume ship products direct to consumers here... I have to assume they are in breach of our laws, unless they too have gone through the registration process here.

Having said all that...
Soundlink are accepting orders for hearing aid UV resins shipped to Australia.. so i'm still a little confused.

May 28, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #9,119 of 15,989
Soundlink, like all other Ali Stores do require the buyer to take care of any import laws, taxes and custom proceedings.

With that said, I do not think selling UV resin and lacquer for home use is prohibited in Australia. If that was the case then why would be able to buy "unsafe" resin for the anicubic printer. Ask @Ivan TT , he is from NZ but I bet due to your trade agreement you will be able to use the same sources.

May 28, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #9,120 of 15,989
I do not think selling UV resin and lacquer for home use is prohibited in Australia

According to Dreve, Lak 3 in particular is explicitly prohibited as it is classed as a 'medical device'. Soundlink & Mcear unwillingness to ship it down here corroborates this.

Since we can still get resins here in Australia without trouble, we can assume these are therefore not classes as 'medical devices'.

Ask @Ivan TT , he is from NZ but I bet due to your trade agreement you will be able to use the same sources.
Pragmatically this works, someone could just send it over for me or i could skip over and get it myself. Though bringing in an unregistered 'medical device' would be a definite breach re. previously stipulated classing/laws.

The law applies to devices regardless of their origin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back