Home-Made IEMs
Feb 20, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #8,311 of 15,989
First MMCX adaptor is installed too close to ear so I cannot fit them perfect in my ear

Happened to me to. I started installing the sockets at a slight angle outwards, that helps a lot.

Is there any way I can boost bass by any chance?

What driver did you choose? The number one reason for lacking bass is not ideal fit. If you loose the seal, you will loose almost all of the bass. I always thought that the Knowles GV did not produce enough bass, but I had bad impressions and improving the fit by manually applying resin (with a syringe) gave me a good enough seal for plenty of bass.

Feb 20, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #8,312 of 15,989
Happened to me to. I started installing the sockets at a slight angle outwards, that helps a lot.
Thanks for the tip. I will try to make them angled later.

What driver did you choose? The number one reason for lacking bass is not ideal fit. If you loose the seal, you will loose almost all of the bass. I always thought that the Knowles GV did not produce enough bass, but I had bad impressions and improving the fit by manually applying resin (with a syringe) gave me a good enough seal for plenty of bass.

I have oem westone w3 driver. I temporary pushed iems to my ear with fingers to have air tight fit, still lacks little bass to my taste. I think they have two TWFKs + CI22955. I used WHITE damper for TWFK 5mm apart and RED damper on CI 7mm away.

Feb 20, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #8,314 of 15,989
If it's just a little bass missing, increase the damper on the TWFK.
The GV, my favorite so far, has HODVTEC for bass and TWFK for highs, and I enjoy red on TWFK and orange on HODVTEC most.
Ain't red on TWFK too hard as a damping scheme

I go with green(near spout) and grey(center of tube)

Red kills the air for me

Feb 20, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #8,318 of 15,989
Yes, as it throws everything into chaos :) If you introduce a driver in parallel or in series, it influences all other drivers as well. GV/GK has tiny smd components (I think two caps) as a crossover, you will need to adjust them if you add a driver.

I guess I will try that later when I get used to making shell and have one perfect sounding ciem with dampers. I saw one of your picture with crazy configuration. I was surprised that everything fits in to your shell. My shell turned out to be really small and had hard time fitting 3 drivers.

Feb 20, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #8,319 of 15,989
If your shell is to small you can gain some size by adding bluetack or impression material to the base of your impressions (where the face plate would go) that way the iems will stick out of your ear a little, but if you don’t over do it it will still look cool and you have a little more room inside.

Feb 20, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #8,320 of 15,989
If your shell is to small you can gain some size by adding bluetack or impression material to the base of your impressions (where the face plate would go) that way the iems will stick out of your ear a little, but if you don’t over do it it will still look cool and you have a little more room inside.
Thanks. I should try that.

Here is picture of my first shell which has huge hole in the middle. I think I wasn’t curing it long enough. Or my negative impression has uneven spacing between side wall and where resin is.

E596D3D9-3702-4945-A39B-8CFF0508FD29.jpeg
34A87BA0-72DF-49C7-B9F9-46591DA4A207.jpeg
92E7F898-B370-4F12-9289-0A9A918C00CB.gif

Feb 20, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #8,322 of 15,989
Thanks. I should try that.

Here is picture of my first shell which has huge hole in the middle. I think I wasn’t curing it long enough. Or my negative impression has uneven spacing between side wall and where resin is.

I used to get the same thing happen to me, what I did to solve it with that kind of lamp was this, cover the sides of your mold along with the top so only the bottom of exposed, then place your mold on one of the bulbs so that it gets hit with UV light from the bottom.

Then remove the side covers and cure normally.

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #8,323 of 15,989
I used to get the same thing happen to me, what I did to solve it with that kind of lamp was this, cover the sides of your mold along with the top so only the bottom of exposed, then place your mold on one of the bulbs so that it gets hit with UV light from the bottom.

Then remove the side covers and cure normally.
You are not curing from below, that’s your problem.

I have drilled a hole through the bottom mirror of my nail lamp and cure the shells right side up.

You could also try to place a mirror or aluminum foil under your investments.

Great community!!!! So I wasn't giving enough UV to the bottom of the mold. I screwed up first mold by not covering up the top(gave me solid piece), second with whole showing in pictures and third one I cured longer time same position and got thicker outer wall, but still thin U shape but no hole.

The other problem I had was negative impression is ripping. As you can see from the picture, bottom of mold (thinnest part of face plate) has crack and UV resin leaks there and I had to sand them.

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #8,324 of 15,989
It is little embarrassing, but here is picture of my okay shell. It turned opaque white after cleaning with 99% Isopropyl alcohol and sanding. It was transparent before that. There is huge bubbles inside, uneven shell width, and quite shallow to fit driver and MMCX adaptor in perfect position. My soldering is not good at all, and I sanded too much out from tip. Nothing went well, so I didn't bother polishing it since I am going to pull driver out of them.

IMG_0517.jpg
IMG_0535.jpg
IMG_0533.jpg
IMG_0536.jpg

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #8,325 of 15,989
It is little embarrassing, but here is picture of my okay shell. It turned opaque white after cleaning with 99% Isopropyl alcohol and sanding. It was transparent before that. There is huge bubbles inside, uneven shell width, and quite shallow to fit driver and MMCX adaptor in perfect position. My soldering is not good at all, and I sanded too much out from tip. Nothing went well, so I didn't bother polishing it since I am going to pull driver out of them.

You did a fantastic job, over the years lots and lots and lots of people have asked questions and bought material, but have given up in the process. You started and seen your creation through until complete, and learned a lot through the process I’m sure. My first set looked like that too. Keep at it they get better with each build!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back