Home-Made IEMs
Feb 11, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #8,206 of 15,989
@dhruvmeena96 Is it usally true that higher ohm damper put on woofer side makes more thump and lower ohm damper put on tweeter side gives more bright highs?
For GV, a lot of people recommend to use green on tweeter, and red or orange on woofer. (from Here). I am wondering if Brown instead of Green and Orange will have more V-shaped sound. Or is there any reason why people usually put greens on tweeter?

Also I have driver from W3 that I am currently building. I am thinking about putting white damper on TWFKs and red damper on CI, Should it be okay?

Thanks
Hmmm.....
Well,

Putting brown on woofer will let woofer cover more mid frequency, warming them up compared to orange or red.

Brown, if used near the driver will make damping factor less at specific range of frequency
Putting the damper near the driver makes less slope and away from driver make slope drop faster.

Value of damper is more of a frequency select.

I still can't help you with what specific frequency area is initial point for a damper to roll off but yup.

Just remember that damper of high value will make driver roll of early and the placement of damper decide the damping of slope.

I cannot tell you what will happen to sound as V shape or something....

Because dampers are never my forte.
They are evil for me

They pressurize the driver, making the impedance on ear side to be more peaky. Distortion can also rise if damper is placed to near the driver.

Reactive air resistance rises.

It is for me a quick fix and takes away a lot of detail in any spectrum.

And I never had good quality sound with dampers except for etymotic ER4 diy with green damper and 20ohm resistor

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #8,207 of 15,989
Hmmm.....
Well,

Putting brown on woofer will let woofer cover more mid frequency, warming them up compared to orange or red.

Brown, if used near the driver will make damping factor less at specific range of frequency
Putting the damper near the driver makes less slope and away from driver make slope drop faster.

Value of damper is more of a frequency select.

I still can't help you with what specific frequency area is initial point for a damper to roll off but yup.

Just remember that damper of high value will make driver roll of early and the placement of damper decide the damping of slope.

I cannot tell you what will happen to sound as V shape or something....

Because dampers are never my forte.
They are evil for me

They pressurize the driver, making the impedance on ear side to be more peaky. Distortion can also rise if damper is placed to near the driver.

Reactive air resistance rises.

It is for me a quick fix and takes away a lot of detail in any spectrum.

And I never had good quality sound with dampers except for etymotic ER4 diy with green damper and 20ohm resistor

I was thinking butting brown on tweeter instead of green. I might just have to try it first and see how they sound before cover them up with faceplate I guess. I am new to whole DIY project, and don't even know how to read frequency graph accurately. I might just give it a try with what I have and see how they perform.

Thanks!

Feb 11, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #8,208 of 15,989
If you have the knowles damper tool, you can pull out and switch dampers after you closed your IEM and experiment as you wish.

Even without damper tool that is possible, if you do not insert the dampers too deep. (Max 1mm without tool, with tool you can insert as deep as the tube is straight)

Feb 11, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #8,210 of 15,989
If you have the knowles damper tool, you can pull out and switch dampers after you closed your IEM and experiment as you wish.

Even without damper tool that is possible, if you do not insert the dampers too deep. (Max 1mm without tool, with tool you can insert as deep as the tube is straight)

Is this the tool you are talking about? I am buying one but it will take about a month to get here. Also I thought I should mount damper while tubing for driver something like this. But I guess you can mount them at the end of the tip to for more effect.

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #8,214 of 15,989
858E91E2-BA9F-410D-B654-242F2CC6C076.jpeg
Do you guys have any idea which one is positive and which one is negative on this driver? Straight out from westone w3 with TFWK +CI set up

Feb 11, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #8,220 of 15,989
I don't want to start the heated discussion, but polarity does not matter, as long as it's the same for both IEM. There are some diehards arguing that the kickdrum needs to start with a positive pressure, but I don't hear the difference. And I tried really hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back