Now comes tubing.

5mm(length) 3mm(diameter) ID=Near Driver
5mm(length) 2mm(diameter) ID=Middle ground
5mm(length) 4mm(diameter) ID=in Eartip nozzle

MATLAB data tells that it can reach 25kHz easily
Smooth sound

Damm flat impedance

I was wrong about shunting

The Zobel itself makes the EMF peak disappear( a small bump remains, but who cares). @IvanNOON I was wrong about 5kHz.

The C of 4.95uF in conjunction to RAB32063 crosses at 1.5kHz, which make the parallel resistor also affect the impedance of emf peak.

So now shunting will just make that small bump disappear and slightly better phase but loose volume.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #8,238 of 15,989
Hi all

May I ask what's the advantages in doubling or even tripling the same driver on each side? Are there any techniques involved or points noteworthy when doing it?
Quadrupling have advantages.
On series parallel arrangement, it will significantly increase surface area of diaphragm, will decrease load on driver by 4times
reduces distortion, increase transient speed

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #8,239 of 15,989
On series parallel arrangement, it will significantly increase surface area of diaphragm, will decrease load on driver by 4times

Hey dhruvmeena,

I'm new to this forum but i've been lurking for a while now, im working on a pair of universals but i've got one problem, mids... For the lows i'm using a hodvtec with your 'true lowpass' design (zobel,lpad,lowpass), and i'm using a swfk as tweeter, highpass 10000hz.. I've got a dtec laying arround that i plan on using for mids, what do you recommend, lpad ? Nothing ? Reverse polarity ?

I'm asking you because you really seem to know what your doing :wink:

Thanks

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #8,240 of 15,989
Hey dhruvmeena,

I'm new to this forum but i've been lurking for a while now, im working on a pair of universals but i've got one problem, mids... For the lows i'm using a hodvtec with your 'true lowpass' design (zobel,lpad,lowpass), and i'm using a swfk as tweeter, highpass 10000hz.. I've got a dtec laying arround that i plan on using for mids, what do you recommend, lpad ? Nothing ? Reverse polarity ?

I'm asking you because you really seem to know what your doing :wink:

Thanks
You wont be needing the invert polarity for DTEC
because the HODVTEC is already hard damped with L-pad in mine
But i recommend that you go on online calculators and check the L-pad value according to your attenuation
And also learn about crossover.
Zobel and L-pad HODVTEC can do till 900Hz and then roll of to zero on 8kHz in a straight line fashion, if we don't take tubing in consideration.

Ok, now lets talk about DTEC. DTEC are is sealed HODVTED and i dont think it will pair good, until or unless you are not going to dampen it with L-pad and zobel again for even lower value of dB to match the goodness of subwoofer HODVTEC

and in end you will have to cross SWFK which has to be crossed at nearby value of 6kHz, and also attenuate it to match the level of DTEC. plus it has to be near the ear nozzle or eartip place because the tube creates peak on SWFK.

i will try giving you a plan

@Shilohsjustice @ForceMajeure

what will a Noble Savant with True Subbass driver sound like

i mean adding HODVTEC with 50Hz crossover lowpass, 2dB l-pad attenuation, zobel so that it doesnt effect the the savant soundsignature

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #8,241 of 15,989
52C42F4C-5331-435F-8175-6D7C326EBAE1.jpeg
D403129C-46BC-4F68-8331-AC4580A28EA5.jpeg
My first wiring and tubing. First time soldering too so it’s not perfect but sounds comes out when I tested them.

TWFK has white damper about 5mm apart and CI has red damper about 7mm away from driver nozzle. Getting my second impression done today and will try to build shells tonight.

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #8,242 of 15,989
My first wiring and tubing. First time soldering too so it’s not perfect but sounds comes out when I tested them.

TWFK has white damper about 5mm apart and CI has red damper about 7mm away from driver nozzle. Getting my second impression done today and will try to build shells tonight.
End the tubings in a bigger tube before it goes in the nozzle or ear guide on you earphone. It fixes some dual bore dip issues.

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #8,243 of 15,989
You wont be needing the invert polarity for DTEC
because the HODVTEC is already hard damped with L-pad in mine
But i recommend that you go on online calculators and check the L-pad value according to your attenuation
And also learn about crossover.
Zobel and L-pad HODVTEC can do till 900Hz and then roll of to zero on 8kHz in a straight line fashion, if we don't take tubing in consideration.

Ok, now lets talk about DTEC. DTEC are is sealed HODVTED and i dont think it will pair good, until or unless you are not going to dampen it with L-pad and zobel again for even lower value of dB to match the goodness of subwoofer HODVTEC

and in end you will have to cross SWFK which has to be crossed at nearby value of 6kHz, and also attenuate it to match the level of DTEC. plus it has to be near the ear nozzle or eartip place because the tube creates peak on SWFK

So also I should also L pad the dtec, lower db than the hodvtec ofcourse. Hodvtec on your desigm is -10db ? So dtec should be -15 -20db ? And what should i use for the zobel on the dtec ? Havent worked with zobel before.. And swfk crossed at around 6khz ? Sorry for all the questions, still a noob but I'm slowly getting there :)

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #8,244 of 15,989
End the tubings in a bigger tube before it goes in the nozzle or ear guide on you earphone. It fixes some dual bore dip issues.

I will probably add 3mm OD 2mm ID tube than. Thanks for advice. I hope I have place for two holes on the tip of ear phone. Or maybe I can merge two 2mm OD tubing to one 3mm OD tube and have only one hole.

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #8,245 of 15,989
So also I should also L pad the dtec, lower db than the hodvtec ofcourse. Hodvtec on your desigm is -10db ? So dtec should be -15 -20 ? And what should i use for the zobel on the dtec ? Havent worked with zobel before.. And dtec crossed at around 6khz ? Sorry for all the questions, still a noob but I'm slowly getting there :)
Zobel helps in rising impedance or it helps easy loading on amp and predictable crossover. SWFK is nasty in spikes and if DTEC adds some more spikes to it, it will go on untolerable level. reversing polarity can create phase issues and needs a lot of experience.

Zobel will perfect the Tan(Theta) in phase to impedance ratio, providing amp constant load and ears of your less pressure on same level of dB

But a zobel kills the high of driver.

i really dont know where SWFK should be crossed, i just estimated and i would need measurements of just DTEC and HODVTEC for proper suggestion

PM
I will probably add 3mm OD 2mm ID tube than. Thanks for advice. I hope I have place for two holes on the tip of ear phone. Or maybe I can merge two 2mm OD tubing to one 3mm OD tube and have only one hole.
Do it 4mm instead of 3mm. it helps the mixing before hand rather separating it in ear.

ask me single driver and multiple fullrange and i would be glad to answer that(Experience from hearing aid making and some good software access)

becasue i am also learning crossover and tubing

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #8,246 of 15,989
Thanks for your reply. Would you please further share with us how this arrangement is done? Is it simply connecting both by wiring the negative terminal of one to the positive terminal of the other?

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #8,248 of 15,989
Thanks for your reply. Would you please further share with us how this arrangement is done? Is it simply connecting both by wiring the negative terminal of one to the positive terminal of the other?
series is done when + is connected to - of other
parallel is done when + is connected to + of other

lets take example of RAB

take 2 drivers and wire them in series
do it with other 2 drivers

then wire them parallel

we are spamming, pm me....lol

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #8,250 of 15,989
I was having a pretty good day until I came home to this...

51670534_326734487964249_7262377067142971392_n.jpg

My girlfriends dogs need to make themselves scarce for an extended period of time.

Leaving on vacation next week with no time or tools to rebuild. Not a happy camper to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back