Home-Made IEMs
Nov 28, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #7,832 of 16,090
Will do.

I also had a 2nd totally separate order, of more BAs and some tubing. That order was packaged the exact same way (no protection whatsoever).

I haven’t tested those drivers yet, but visually they look OK (plus the outer envelope is free of tire marks). I am assuming the parts in that order are OK, despite the lack of packaging protection.

Me to always got my orders well packed in a cardbox! Must be some new guy packing? I guess there will be not to much trouble if you sent them photos of package. I used to always do a ”unboxing” film when buying from Aliexpress, but not so much lately, to use as evidence if there was any problem.

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #7,833 of 16,090
en on TWFK are considered go to dampers for GK.
But also consider moving one step up or down

thank you for information. I doubt I will be able to test and fine-tune sound without having to damage already assembled earphone.

In general could somebody share sound impressions of CI and TWFK drivers? If CI will be left undampened - is it going to be very bassy? The same for TWDK - is it harsh and sibilant undampened? Judging by the GK graph 2.5 khz and especially 5khz peaks look worrying.

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #7,835 of 16,090
Hey Guys:

I'm a longtime lurker on this thread, but have just started to make my own IEM. I have a problem I'm trying to overcome - my shells are "icing over" at the top of cast. I'm using clear fotoplast, a small LED nail lamp, and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. If I cure the shells for 90 seconds, the shells are totally sealed (even when I have something over the top of the cast), but if I cure for shorter times the shells are too thin, or have uncured portions, etc.

I'm kind of frustrated, because the shells I've made (well, some shells, some hard acrylic ear plugs) fit well, and I'm pretty sure the electronic stuff won't be a problem.

Any ideas to fix the problem I'm having?

Dec 1, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #7,838 of 16,090
Has anyone had issues with buying BAs from Soundlink on Aliexpress?

I ordered some Knowles 32830 during 11.11.

They shipped them with ZERO protection. Just the $100 worth of BAs tossed in a ziplock baggie inside a shipping envelope.

The shipping envelope has tire marks from getting run over, and there is a big hole in the envelope as well as through both of the inner ziplock baggies.

1 BA driver is totally missing, obviously from ripped out of the package. The other driver has a huge dent in the body, and the bass sounds distorted.

I am surprised and quite disappointed they didn't wrap the BAs better - in bubble wrap, or in a small plastic box, or whatever. I know they can't prevent some random fork lift guy from doing doughnuts all over my package, but that is total BS not to at least package the drivers with minimal protection.

I opened a dispute, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully I don't get the runaround :rage:

Ouch those pictures make me feel sad lol.

Soundlink is probably the store with the best service on aliexpress. Grace has always been there and she's always willing to help. I am sure things will turn out ok

It sounds like whatever you're covering them with isn't effectively blocking the light. I use black plastic I cut from something.

Speaking of which I want to share a quick tip.
Using a flat black cover on top of the investment can sometimes lead to part of the shell not curing nicely because the investment is filled up to the top and it touches the cover...when removing it sometimes part of the upper walls might not be cured completely/evenly and part of the resin cures on the cover which is annoying and require fixing it manually adding resin and cure with a uv gun

I personally have been using a small jar cap that happened to fit the diameter of the investment and its height is just right to not touch the uv light inside the curing box (the cap height is 8mm and diameter about 45mm). I have taped the inside of that cap (that was silver) with black tape and never had since an issue with uneven curing at the top anymore. the cap basically creates a gap between its "ceiling" and the top of the shell, allowing me to fill the investment up to the top and not worry about anything.

Any opaque cap with the right dimensions will work for that and for anyone concerned that the gap might allow some light to cure the top of the shell well it doesn't.

I highly recommend anyone to use that "tip".

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #7,840 of 16,090
Hey everyone, I've been lurking around Head-Fi for a number of years now and this thread in particular for a couple months.
Just wanted to say thanks to Piotr, Shiloh and everyone else for all of the interesting and usefull information here.

Bought a buttload of drivers recently and currently experimenting. Expect some posts!

Dec 9, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #7,841 of 16,090
I'm having huge issues with pits or air bubbles inside my shells. I carefully check for air bubbles when I cure with glycerin but I always end up with pits on the inside. Is there a particular way to avoid this?

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #7,842 of 16,090
I'm having huge issues with pits or air bubbles inside my shells. I carefully check for air bubbles when I cure with glycerin but I always end up with pits on the inside. Is there a particular way to avoid this?

After pouring out the acrylic you need to cure the shell again before you put in the glycerin.
When the acrylic is not fully cured, you'll get tiny bubbles

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #7,844 of 16,090
Hello, I've bought some stuff from Taobao, and the seller didn't sent the right stuff, this item is missing: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?_u=b3l8511gdb13&id=560131088665

So, I use Yoybuy to redirect my orders from Taobao. The package arrived in the Yoybuy warehouse November 21 and I received it today here in Brazil and discovered that this item was missing. The seller is saying in the chat that it took too long for me to say that something are missing and don't wan't to refund me. It was impossible to know that the item was missing before because the shipping time. Anyone know what can I do? Asking for a refund in the Taobao site will work? or the seller can still say no?

From what I understand the seller is willing to ship it again to Yoybuy, but it's not worth it because I don't have anything to redirect to my country and paying the shipping just for this item isn't viable.

Anyone can help me? This is the second time i'm having trouble with this seller by the way, the first time I've bought 2 meters of sound tube and he sent just one. Watch out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back