Home-Made IEMs
Feb 12, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #7,321 of 15,996
Has anyone looked into using Smartphone replacement speakers with a low pass filter as a subwoofer on an IEM? They seem quite space efficient since they aren't round and they are quite cheap. I found this Aliexpress seller (www.aliexpress.com/store/314854) that has many different models for different phones, and even sells sample packs of 20 different speakers in pairs for less than if you bought a pair 20 times. This could be great for testing each and one of them. www.aliexpress.com/store/product/20models-New-loudspeaker-ringer-buzzer-earpiece-receiver-for-Xiaomi-M1-M2-M3-2A-HTC-816-Nokia/314854_32699633206.html

Would you risk trying it?

I doubt that rectangular dynamic drivers has clear benefits in terms of space saving, since they're not like BA which you can pack them as tightly as possible. Also, I think a rectangular diaphragm will have worse distortion and linearity than circular ones. (I could be wrong tho) I will save the money for a few more circular drivers to experiment with if I were you.

That red line looks pretty great for me. Dammit, I gotta get into this multi driver customs since I have all the tools... just need to educate myself with BA`s and crossovers.

thanks mate, female vocal sounds gorgeous to me and everything is very airy, although it can sometimes sound a bit harsh and shouty. Maybe start with a GV or CI + TWFK? Can't go wrong with these. I learned quite a lot when I was tweaking the tubes length and the cap value on the twfk.

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #7,322 of 15,996
I doubt that rectangular dynamic drivers has clear benefits in terms of space saving, since they're not like BA which you can pack them as tightly as possible. Also, I think a rectangular diaphragm will have worse distortion and linearity than circular ones. (I could be wrong tho) I will save the money for a few more circular drivers to experiment with if I were you.

Just read about it and you're right. I even had the chance to test a square subminiature speaker yesterday and I've found it was under 8 ohms, just as expected. It didn't have any bass under 60hz though :/

I'm probably going to use a dual sub arrangement with cones face to face and a sound outlet to one side. I'll use them in parallel and one sub will be connected to a switch, so the sound can go from 1 sub @ 115db to 2 subs @ 121db since the impedance is halved and the 2 sound waves are in phase.
I'll use the speakers from the Earpods of Apple since they are the only ones with a paper cone. This is good since the cone itself acts as a low pass filter. www.aliexpress.com/item/32497407437.html

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #7,324 of 15,996
You just made a contradiction...
Probably. But it just sounds that way to me, female vocal is very pleasing in general. Meanwhile the iem can sound a bit harsh on certain tracks.

I'm probably going to use a dual sub arrangement with cones face to face and a sound outlet to one side.
2 x 9mm dd and a few more BAs plus switches... I just can't imagine how you can fit so many things in a shell.

Btw guys, is it normal that bondic has weak bonding strength when fully cured? I make sure the surfaces are clean by wiping them with acolhol, but still the pvc tube comes off easily with a little bending force.

Feb 13, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #7,325 of 15,996
I still have to find the way the correct components to use. I'll use a big universal shell with one BRC770C28507 as mid-high driver, two BRC305C30095 as tweeters (one connected to the switch), probably a HODVTEC-31618 if it fits and 2x 10mm DD's in a triple chamber single reflex bandpass (one of the speakers will go to the switch).

This is my current schematic design : https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZDfGQdk674bQCT9u2

Feb 13, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #7,326 of 15,996
Btw guys, is it normal that bondic has weak bonding strength when fully cured? I make sure the surfaces are clean by wiping them with acolhol, but still the pvc tube comes off easily with a little bending force.

I have not had any issues with Bondic connected joints. I usually run 1 bead around the direct connection point, cure, and run at least a couple more beads to build up and out to strengthen the connection.

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #7,327 of 15,996
Been there, finishing a couple of beauties only to have horrible sound... In my experience it's one of two things, a tube came loose or a tube got bent at an ugly angle causing a blockage, in either case you gotta take apart the CIEM to fix it. Shame, those look really great!

Agree, probably loose from the armature or kink. However, I’ve created some pretty severe kinks with little effect on the response curve. Maybe not a total loss. Could be an opportunity to try a salvage disassemble. Take your time, you’ll probably lose the tubing, but if you use small dremel bits, you can probably save the shell. I have a jewelers saw that I use to cut the faceplate off. It’s a tiny thin blade. It can be done though.

My new set of hybrids. GK with a 6mm subwoofer from Ali. Sounds Great! Better sub low end than the GV. I also have recently tried the GK with an extra CI-22955 and it sounds Awesome in my opinion. As far as sound goes, it’s one of my favorite combinations so far.

8425653F-5FE2-498B-A370-B3935A9E7287.jpeg A970FCC5-1A68-47A9-A227-44F9578FECAC.jpeg

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #7,328 of 15,996
Agree, probably loose from the armature or kink. However, I’ve created some pretty severe kinks with little effect on the response curve. Maybe not a total loss. Could be an opportunity to try a salvage disassemble. Take your time, you’ll probably lose the tubing, but if you use small dremel bits, you can probably save the shell. I have a jewelers saw that I use to cut the faceplate off. It’s a tiny thin blade. It can be done though.

My new set of hybrids. GK with a 6mm subwoofer from Ali. Sounds Great! Better sub low end than the GV. I also have recently tried the GK with an extra CI-22955 and it sounds Awesome in my opinion. As far as sound goes, it’s one of my favorite combinations so far.

Very nice tip about the jeweler saw! what blade thickness are you using?

Do you use the DD full range or is it low passed?

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #7,331 of 15,996
Wondering if you would share how you went about integrating the extra CI with the BK. i.e. low pass filter? extra sound tube? etc. Thanks

I was going to work out a low pass but I wanted to get an idea what I was starting with, so I just put it in parallel. Didn’t sound good at all, low end sounded worse than the GK alone so I reversed the CI polarity and man, it sounded great. At that point, there was no need to try a low pass.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #7,333 of 15,996
Hey Guys!
Is there a way to connect a GV and a GQ (or something like a GQ) without any additional crossover stuff besides what’s already on each one already? If so, how would you hook them up? Just parallel? Or reverse polarity? I’ve read that sometimes the speakers can cancel each other out if ran in parallel.
Thanks!

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #7,335 of 15,996
Hey Guys!
Is there a way to connect a GV and a GQ (or something like a GQ) without any additional crossover stuff besides what’s already on each one already? If so, how would you hook them up? Just parallel? Or reverse polarity? I’ve read that sometimes the speakers can cancel each other out if ran in parallel.
Thanks!

I would try in parallel, if you have the means to check the FR curve, do so. If it looks like crap, reverse the polarity. I haven’t looked, but be sure to compare the SPL on each to be sure one will not drowned out the other, a resistor may be needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back