Home-Made IEMs
Apr 17, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #6,406 of 15,989
Also I got another question,
I have syringes and dispensing blunt needles 18 gauge (green color)
How do you fill them with the resin? I tried "sucking" it directly from the needle but the viscosity of the resin makes it very difficult to fill the syringe any tips?
Pull the plunger thing out of the syringe, then fill it.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #6,408 of 15,989
But that stuff will stay on the shell right? if you are using medical grade UV like egger or dreve and buff with that material isnt it dangerous for skin?

It comes completely off when buffing. My arbor is setup with left side with a wheel that I use the wax with, and the right side no was for cleaning/final polish.

I do my buffing and before I do final polish on the right arbor I clean the IEM with alcohol.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #6,409 of 15,989
Also I got another question,
I have syringes and dispensing blunt needles 18 gauge (green color)
How do you fill them with the resin? I tried "sucking" it directly from the needle but the viscosity of the resin makes it very difficult to fill the syringe any tips?

It doesn't suck through the tips, I pull the plunger out, fill with the amount I want, put the tip of the plunger back in just enough so Fotoplast won't seep out, hold it tip up with a paper towel covering the tip and squeeze all the air out.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #6,410 of 15,989
Thanks for the tip :)

I thought of buying diamond grit lapping paste (that comes in syringes). Maybe it works for buffing also?
like this thing https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Lapping-Polishing-Compound-microns/dp/B00MALWGBI/ref=sr_1_2?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1492449039&sr=1-2&keywords=Diamond+Lapping+Paste+Polishing+Compound

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #6,413 of 15,989
Apr 18, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #6,414 of 15,989
I had received some knock-off Shure SE215's a while back (full reimbursement and got to keep the item, thanks amazon lol). I am sorry this is a long post, I have set a goal to get this done and am now intent on getting a move on doing this! :)

Anyhow, I am looking to use the shell and make a whole new IEM. I know what I am doing with electronics, soldering and all that, but I have 0 experience with this.

So all I have right now is the shell (which is the translucent blue version is anyone was wondering). The MMCX cable even died very quickly, and then I gutted out the knock-off drives as they were literally... crusty with black ... ill just say dirt to keep it P.G.

Anyhow, I am looking for some guidance to get my project started:

Tools: anything out of the norm a techie wouldn't already have (I build / fix PC's..)?
Parts: I found places like Mouser for parts, specifically a many of different drivers available (is there better places?), but aside from drivers I am lost here as to what all I will need, or more so the specific type of things I will need in each category. I understand what I choose will effect the sound and the sound I am looking for will matter, this I will explain below. Should I even try multiple drivers on a first go?
Materials: Any certain solder or wire I should be purchasing? Anything I haven't listed will be needed?
Placement: I am sure placing the driver in different locations in the shell will cause a difference in sound, any tips for this?
Safety: Any tips to ensure I don't... blow up my ear or something ridiculous I could have avoided? lol

Desired sound: I am really looking to create a smooth sound. I want there to be decent bass (I am a basshead, but am not looking to make a full-on basshead set, I was some resolution and soundstage more, also finding more treble to be just as great the deeper I fall in this audiophile rabbit hole). I mean I feel like this can be achieved later though, once I get a grip here. I just want to succeed in making a working IEM first.

Anyone with any input, even if just covering 1 thing, even if I didn't mention it (as I am sure I'm missing things to ask here), I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Edit: I would like to add, I am looking to go 'lower impedance, easy to drive for this time around. I am thinking I want to go with BA's as well.   Not going CIEM, keeping the natural form-factor.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #6,417 of 15,989
  I had received some knock-off Shure SE215's a while back (full reimbursement and got to keep the item, thanks amazon lol). I am sorry this is a long post, I have set a goal to get this done and am now intent on getting a move on doing this! :)

Anyhow, I am looking to use the shell and make a whole new IEM. I know what I am doing with electronics, soldering and all that, but I have 0 experience with this.

So all I have right now is the shell (which is the translucent blue version is anyone was wondering). The MMCX cable even died very quickly, and then I gutted out the knock-off drives as they were literally... crusty with black ... ill just say dirt to keep it P.G.

Anyhow, I am looking for some guidance to get my project started:

Tools: anything out of the norm a techie wouldn't already have (I build / fix PC's..)?
Parts: I found places like Mouser for parts, specifically a many of different drivers available (is there better places?), but aside from drivers I am lost here as to what all I will need, or more so the specific type of things I will need in each category. I understand what I choose will effect the sound and the sound I am looking for will matter, this I will explain below. Should I even try multiple drivers on a first go?
Materials: Any certain solder or wire I should be purchasing? Anything I haven't listed will be needed?
Placement: I am sure placing the driver in different locations in the shell will cause a difference in sound, any tips for this?
Safety: Any tips to ensure I don't... blow up my ear or something ridiculous I could have avoided? lol

Desired sound: I am really looking to create a smooth sound. I want there to be decent bass (I am a basshead, but am not looking to make a full-on basshead set, I was some resolution and soundstage more, also finding more treble to be just as great the deeper I fall in this audiophile rabbit hole). I mean I feel like this can be achieved later though, once I get a grip here. I just want to succeed in making a working IEM first.

Anyone with any input, even if just covering 1 thing, even if I didn't mention it (as I am sure I'm missing things to ask here), I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Edit: I would like to add, I am looking to go 'lower impedance, easy to drive for this time around. I am thinking I want to go with BA's as well.   Not going CIEM, keeping the natural form-factor.

Hi,

I went a similar route myself, I had a pair of Shure 215's that turned out to be knockoffs and decided to make myself a better pair. I also initially considered reusing the shell but unless you go with a single or double driver, I wasn't sure I'd be able to fit the BA in, as the 215's have a little plastic structure inside them that might make it difficult to insert anything that isn't a dynamic driver of the same size. I just decided to buy some replacement shells and went for a triple GK driver - the price difference with a double driver is negligible and once started I thought I might as well do it properly. Also, the shells I bought have a screw so you don't have to glue anything. The fit was very tight but in the end it all turned out great and you get a pair of triple driver IEMs for roughly the same price as the 215s! Check my posting history to find the description of how I did them (it was a while back). Many others have gone a similar route but this thread is so long I wouldn't know where to point you to, so you can just check out my posts to get an idea. If you know how to solder it's a piece of cake - you just need the shells, cables, drivers, a couple of small pieces of EVA or similar, and you can probably scavenge the MMCX connector and wires from your 215s. Oh, and a couple of those colour-coded filters to determine the amount of treble/bass coming out of the spout. I went with green but maybe others can give advice as to what colour might best suit what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #6,418 of 15,989
I wonder what's the crossover config of andromeda? It seems composed of BK26824, TWFK30017, and HODVTEC31618.

C5rX78mUoAENAAa.jpg

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #6,420 of 15,989
Hi,

I went a similar route myself, I had a pair of Shure 215's that turned out to be knockoffs and decided to make myself a better pair. I also initially considered reusing the shell but unless you go with a single or double driver, I wasn't sure I'd be able to fit the BA in, as the 215's have a little plastic structure inside them that might make it difficult to insert anything that isn't a dynamic driver of the same size. I just decided to buy some replacement shells and went for a triple GK driver - the price difference with a double driver is negligible and once started I thought I might as well do it properly. Also, the shells I bought have a screw so you don't have to glue anything. The fit was very tight but in the end it all turned out great and you get a pair of triple driver IEMs for roughly the same price as the 215s! Check my posting history to find the description of how I did them (it was a while back). Many others have gone a similar route but this thread is so long I wouldn't know where to point you to, so you can just check out my posts to get an idea. If you know how to solder it's a piece of cake - you just need the shells, cables, drivers, a couple of small pieces of EVA or similar, and you can probably scavenge the MMCX connector and wires from your 215s. Oh, and a couple of those colour-coded filters to determine the amount of treble/bass coming out of the spout. I went with green but maybe others can give advice as to what colour might best suit what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot. Sounds like i was overthinking it some. Thanks.

I dont know when ill have it done but ill take pics of the process to post up and share the experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back