Home-Made IEMs
Apr 10, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #6,361 of 15,996
Thanks everyone for the answers I'll probably try it out.

What do you mean by stethosopic effect?

I'm not sure about terminology. Stethoscope or microphone effect. It`s the same thing? I meant spurious noise from the wire. Friction about clothes, the touch of fingers, the wind - you can hear it all in your headphones.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #6,362 of 15,996
I'm not sure about terminology. Stethoscope or microphone effect. It`s the same thing? I meant spurious noise from the wire. Friction about clothes, the touch of fingers, the wind - you can hear it all in your headphones.
I've always heard it be called microphonics or cable noise, but I knew what was meant by what was said.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #6,363 of 15,996
Yes all of the Chinese Teflon coated wires I've made cables with have been extremely microphonic too.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #6,365 of 15,996
Are you talking about the ones on the PCB ?if so, it's easy, just resolder the wire anywhere, on the same circuit.
If it.s on the left side, just solder it to any negative on the drivers, if it.s the right side, solder it on the resistor directly.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #6,367 of 15,996
  Here is my current version layout.......

Shilohsjustice, Thanks for posting up your crossover circuit and build.  I have almost all the parts to finish mine and have a couple of questions before I wire everything up:
1) Are your capacitors AC (non polarized) or DC (polarized)  ? My local electronics store told me there would be a difference when I went in to pick them up today. If possible could to link me to a source ?
2) Did you find that the addition of the .47 uf capacitor in your Version 5 made them better than version 4 ?  Have to made any other tweaks to the crossover design.
Thanks again for all your help, 

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #6,368 of 15,996
Hey guys, I was going to try to make some kind of hybrid iem with a balanced armature and a dynamic. Problem is...I can't seem to find dynamic speakers to buy in the states. I've ordered some from aliexpress and they aren't here yet. Just wondering if anyone has gotten any from here in the states or if you just order them from over in China?

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #6,369 of 15,996
Hey guys, I was going to try to make some kind of hybrid iem with a balanced armature and a dynamic. Problem is...I can't seem to find dynamic speakers to buy in the states. I've ordered some from aliexpress and they aren't here yet. Just wondering if anyone has gotten any from here in the states or if you just order them from over in China?

I have purchased Geek Verb IEMs from other HF users and torn them apart for the dynamic drivers in them. They sound like crap in the Verbs, but when used in other implementations they can sound very good.

I used a GK in addition to the dynamic and am very happy with the result. No additional crossover work, just a couple of dampers.

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #6,375 of 15,996
  Nevermind...found it!

Would you share with us?
My experiments with colors are not successful. I've tried Acrylic Ink (it's mentioned here), epoxy resin dye (a local brand). The addition of any dye leads to uneven polymerization. Bumps, holes or wet layers are formed. Even with thoroughly stirring. Epoxy dye do not harden without hardener. So it would be nice to hear more from the community about the coloring of the shells and faceplates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back