Home-Made IEMs
Apr 2, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #6,333 of 15,992
Yeah, ridiculous. It will probably end up being like a 5way. In which case they could have just used 5 drivers.
Not entirely true. With the SPL summation you could cause yourself to go completely deaf before experiencing distortion, rather than just cause permanent damage.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #6,336 of 15,992
Well, last year for April Fool's Empire Ears made a 24-driver(per side) IEM, that actually worked, but they didn't use any crossovers in it.

Apr 3, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #6,338 of 15,992
Any of you use the small plastic dampers from knowles?they are smaller in diameter than the classic metallic dampers.
I have two diameters:1,76 and 1,5. Or something like that, i can't remember exactly.
The question is, how do you install such small dampers?knowles has a special tool, but it costs a fortune, 280$.
I have a tool from soundlink, a tap, but it only works for the metallic dampers.
Any ideas?!

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #6,340 of 15,992
Any of you use the small plastic dampers from knowles?they are smaller in diameter than the classic metallic dampers.
I have two diameters:1,76 and 1,5. Or something like that, i can't remember exactly.
The question is, how do you install such small dampers?knowles has a special tool, but it costs a fortune, 280$.
I have a tool from soundlink, a tap, but it only works for the metallic dampers.
Any ideas?!

I used those dampers in my last build cause I had to run smaller tubing (#16) for the CI cause I couldn't get two #13 tubes down the canal. I had some small diameter (but fairly stiff) copper wire around the house. So I cut a piece off and made a mark at 7mm so I'd know when to stop pushing the damper. It worked great! I believe the diameter of the dampers I used was 1.12. Something like that.

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #6,341 of 15,992
Just saw the JH Lola announcement - I actually tried something like that with the dynamic drivers before - I stuck 2 dynamic drivers (the same one) face to face and left a hole for the sound vent (similar configuration to a dual BA driver). It actually sounded really good! It was better than the single dynamic driver version I also made with the same driver. However, as the sound vent is quite small, it cuts off the high frequency quite sharply at 8kHz for me, and although the bass looks good on the frequency response, it sounded too soft. 

If you guys can get hold of dynamic drivers, it'll probably be a good idea to try the JH configuration :p

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #6,342 of 15,992
  Just saw the JH Lola announcement - I actually tried something like that with the dynamic drivers before - I stuck 2 dynamic drivers (the same one) face to face and left a hole for the sound vent (similar configuration to a dual BA driver). It actually sounded really good! It was better than the single dynamic driver version I also made with the same driver. However, as the sound vent is quite small, it cuts off the high frequency quite sharply at 8kHz for me, and although the bass looks good on the frequency response, it sounded too soft. 

If you guys can get hold of dynamic drivers, it'll probably be a good idea to try the JH configuration :p

I know that Kumitate-labs also uses that technique for their kumitate REF, they use a 3d printed enclosure to mount both drivers facing each others. Kumitate also have a special tube in addition to the tube going to the nozzle, that allows them to control the pressure so their is no driver flex upon installation. 

Kumitate use their solution for Bass, JH use it for mids.

Nevertheless it's very interesting.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #6,343 of 15,992

I know that Kumitate-labs also uses that technique for their kumitate REF, they use a 3d printed enclosure to mount both drivers facing each others. Kumitate also have a special tube in addition to the tube going to the nozzle, that allows them to control the pressure so their is no driver flex upon installation. 

Kumitate use their solution for Bass, JH use it for mids.

Nevertheless it's very interesting.

I used this round sticker thing (that usually lets you stick the driver to the shell of the iem) and cut a slit in one side, and instead of sticking it onto the shell, I stuck another driver on it. Then I trace the edge with resin to harden it.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #6,344 of 15,992

I experimented with something like this too, and there is already Brainwavz R3 which uses the exact same concept for dual dynamics
R3_3_new.jpg

So I have no idea how the patent is going to go through for this, but you know... I wish good luck to JH!

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #6,345 of 15,992
Interesting, I never actually seen this design in IEMs before, other than ATH's dual phase drivers. Is this common in speakers?

Have you tried it before? For my design I didn't leave much space between the drivers, around only 1mm of space only, which might be why the bass sounds so soft. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back