Home-Made IEMs
Sep 30, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #5,356 of 15,989
not sure if this was covered before, but the multi colored custom artwork i see on the faceplates? are the ciem manufactueres using deskjet or bubblejet printers on a high quality sticker papers and acrylic them over on the faceplate to get that result? cause i have still yet to come across any laser marking machines thats able to do that??

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #5,357 of 15,989
I've been reading this thread with much interest over the last week or so and am super impressed with the knowledge and skill you guys have.

I'm busy researching IEM's for my church and as a result of this thread about to embark on making my own CIEMs as an experiment.
So I have a couple of questions at this stage.

Shells - I'm leaning towards US acrylic as one of my daughters already has a UV lamp for doing her nails. My question is, approximately how much Magic Glos (Lisa Pavelka) would I need to make 2 shells?

Secondly, drivers! I realise there is so much choice and experimentation to do here. Is the 31732 a good all rounder as a starting point?
If so, what about dampers... just get the drivers and try them raw or get a selection of dampers to pick and mix with?

Thanks.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #5,358 of 15,989
I've been reading this thread with much interest over the last week or so and am super impressed with the knowledge and skill you guys have.

I'm busy researching Ian's for my church and as a result of this thread about to embark on making my own CIEMs as an experiment.
So I have a couple of questions at this stage.

Shells - I'm leaning towards US acrylic as one of my daughters already has a UV lamp for doing her nails. My question is, approximately how much Magic Glos (Lisa Pavelka) would I need to make 2 shells?

Secondly, drivers! I realise there is so much choice and experimentation to do here. Is the 31732 a good all rounder as a starting point?
If so, what about dampers... just get the drivers and try them raw or get a selection of dampers to pick and mix with?

Thanks.

If you didn't know, the Lisa pavelka uv magic gloss works very different from the other kind of uv resin. 1oz can probably make about 2pair of shell. The Magic gloss is not reusable, so do not pour the leftover back in the bottle. I poured the leftover back in my 1oz bottle and kind of spoiled the whole bottle.. But from what I had left seems enough for a second pair, not 100% sure tho. Have you used it before?

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #5,359 of 15,989
Thanks @renren234

No, I haven't used it before so advice like yours is really helpful.

I'm in the UK and have found sources of UV resin quite limited/expensive.
Another option I think is http://www.metalclay.co.uk/uv-crystal-resin/ which appears to be pretty similar to Magic Glos

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #5,361 of 15,989
Thanks @renren234

No, I haven't used it before so advice like yours is really helpful.

I'm in the UK and have found sources of UV resin quite limited/expensive.
Another option I think is http://www.metalclay.co.uk/uv-crystal-resin/ which appears to be pretty similar to Magic Glos

I could share with you what I know about magic gloss and hope your first set of shells would already be usable! Can't commend much on the crystal resin tho

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #5,365 of 15,989
That'd be fantastic.

I think I'll probably try Magic Glos in the first instance as others have tried it.
So anything you can share would be greatfully received.

Thanks.

First off, I'm not very great with making shells. Still experimenting and had so many failures. But these are what I know.

I think magic gloss is pretty easy to handle actually. First, just pour the resin into your mould. Turn on the uv chamber for 4-6minutes(Depending on how thick you want it to be). I normally go for a 4minute.

Magic gloss doesn't harden right away, so after the 4minutes is up, pour the remaining resin in another container and flip it around and cure it again for a good 12-15minutes. (I recommend you do one shell at a time, and focus on the steps and handling of the mould when curing.) Thats about all to it.

THINGS TO NOTE.
Like I said the magic gloss doesn't cure/harden fully right away after the 4minutes. The shell is in like a jelly type of state at the 4mintue mark. And any great amount of force compressing the mould will cause the shell to have wrinkles after it cures(so remember to handle it carefully). For a full cure, it would take up to 15minutes after the initial 4mintues.

Secondly, you won't need to clean the additional tacky layer like most other uv resin would require.

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #5,366 of 15,989

if anyone needs occ silver plated cable and ve monk too for diy projects very cheap thanks

Oct 6, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #5,368 of 15,989
First off, I'm not very great with making shells. Still experimenting and had so many failures. But these are what I know.

I think magic gloss is pretty easy to handle actually. First, just pour the resin into your mould. Turn on the uv chamber for 4-6minutes(Depending on how thick you want it to be). I normally go for a 4minute.

Magic gloss doesn't harden right away, so after the 4minutes is up, pour the remaining resin in another container and flip it around and cure it again for a good 12-15minutes. (I recommend you do one shell at a time, and focus on the steps and handling of the mould when curing.) Thats about all to it.

THINGS TO NOTE.
Like I said the magic gloss doesn't cure/harden fully right away after the 4minutes. The shell is in like a jelly type of state at the 4mintue mark. And any great amount of force compressing the mould will cause the shell to have wrinkles after it cures(so remember to handle it carefully). For a full cure, it would take up to 15minutes after the initial 4mintues.

Secondly, you won't need to clean the additional tacky layer like most other uv resin would require.

I'm finding "Magic-Glos" to be critical to type of UV light and time/temperature/humidity.  For me, these times are way off.  In 30 deg ambient and my nail light, my shells are 2-3mm in 90s, plus 120s inverted.  I have wasted 4 Oz of resin and a bench full of failures trying & retrying these long times like in the German video.  It's great material when you get it matched to your conditions so you really need to be prepared to buy 6 Oz to experiment.
Lisa Pavelka refers to "shadow curing", where the cure continues after the UV exposure.  You can use this effect by leaving the shells in the mold and they'll harden overnight without stickiness.
If you have Magic-Glos left over, put it in a separate container in the dark to use on the tubes, connectors, later.  It's gooey rather than runny and it'll eventually be useless but at this price you get couple days possible use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back