Home-Made IEMs
Jan 31, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #4,351 of 16,107
  Because you are using a universal fit. the seal can only be made by the silicone tip, so when you say you loose seal because of the stripped shell, I don't understand it.

Regarding the shape of your shell you should make it less triangular and more rounded so you could gain space to fit the drivers inside.
Take a look at this shell
 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-****-UE-Custom-Made-Around-Ear-Earphone-HIFI-Monitor-Headphones-Noise-Reduction-Headset-With-MMCX/32502390629.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_7

You should do this, pay attention also where the connection for the cable is placed as it is where it should be to allow the cable to connect to the shell with as less discomfort as possible between it and your ear.

The more drivers you want to fit, the more the shell needs to protrude outward adding more depth to it...Usually CIEMs allow for more drivers while retaining a "flusher" profile.
Look at this picture from the layla thread   so yeah...

Regarding the bores, you could make the tubes connect at a wider diameter point

Thanks for the pictures, Those are giving me another valuable clue.

What I've been trying to do is to align the drivers horizontally, perpendicular to the nozzle. The tube would have to make a 90 degree bend, which takes up more space horizontally.  This is how the drivers are aligned in Shure/Westone models. The way they get everything to fit is by not using any tubing at all beside the nozzle. All the drivers are enclosed inside a rubber boot which fires straight into the nozzle. The highs are damped with a single damper inside the nozzle.

Looking at the pictures of the Layla/Angie sticking out in the ear, I'm strongly convinced that what they're doing is aligning the drivers parallel with the nozzle, where the drivers point directly at your eardrum. Judging by other pictures I've seen I'd assume they're using tubing and not the rubber boot design seen in Shure/Westone models. 

Another alternative would be what Noble is doing. They're making the drivers point downwards, at the ground. The tubing would still have to make a 90 degree bend, but it seems like the space in human ears is only limited horizontally. You can increase the space by either making it stick out further or elongating it vertically, and either approach would not sacrifice comfort too much.

As for the 3D printing, if you look closely at the shell, you'll notice that it is not completely smooth and solid. How a 3D printer works is it prints out these thin lines, and overlays them on top of each other to create a solid form. What happens when you have curvature across multiple planes at the same time is that the spacing between the lines becomes uneven. Sometimes the spacing becomes so large that you have tiny gaps between the lines.

The drivers are connected to tubing, which connects into the nozzle hole. Here's where the seal is broken. I'm suspecting there's a hairline gap somewhere here.

The cable connection can be done, although it might take some trial and error to make it fit at the right angle.

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #4,352 of 16,107
Regarding the broken seal on your current shell design, you could print the nozzle fully with no bores and then drill the bores to a fitting diameter with dremel's tips like these.

There are so much pictures in the **** UE shell I linked in the previous thread that you could build a 3d model of it and print it, this is the most comfortable design I can see for a universal.

There shouldn't be a problem fitting up to 4 drivers inside including CI's but I haven't tried it so it still needs to be put to the test.

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #4,356 of 16,107

Anyone know how long silicone ear impressions are good for? I've heard mixed reports of them changing shape over time.

From 2 weeks to 2 years depending on material. Green Otoform from Dreve practically doesn't change shape at all.

Didn't realise it lasted that long, but, as you and I have discussed, in the past, I definitely have noticed that the green Otoform material is 'denser' than the pink and the blue materials I've also experienced.

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #4,357 of 16,107
  Didn't realise it lasted that long, but, as you and I have discussed, in the past, I definitely have noticed that the green Otoform material is 'denser' than the pink and the blue materials I've also experienced.

After a year it retains 99,6% of original shape, so the change is very very minimal. We have sucessfully (fit-wise) reused 2-year old impressions from Otoform AK.

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #4,359 of 16,107
  I've heard glycerin helps a bunch!  Where can I get it?

For soaking and final curing of the shells?

I found a 6oz bottle at Walmart for $2-3.

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #4,360 of 16,107
Bloody hell, the Chinese iec711 test rig I mentioned about a few posts back aren't fake, they are made by this Chinese company
http://www.hzaihua.com/products_show.aspx?id=30

And they claim they are iec compliant. I want to get a complete set. They also have microphones and pre amps.

Anyone who knows this that can help which type to get?

Edit: What do I need on the computer end

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #4,361 of 16,107
Those instruments aren't exactly cheap either though (costs $4,000 RMB for the mic from what I remember), but much cheaper compared to the competition :p 

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #4,363 of 16,107
Has anyone here cracked the whole driver smear issue?
When you have a crossover with multiple drivers and there is a slight delay with the drivers. 

I was at headroom last weekend in London and spoke to the guy developing the ACS customs. He gave me an answer but it wasn't really helpful.

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #4,364 of 16,107
  Has anyone here cracked the whole driver smear issue?
When you have a crossover with multiple drivers and there is a slight delay with the drivers. 

I was at headroom last weekend in London and spoke to the guy developing the ACS customs. He gave me an answer but it wasn't really helpful.

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks

And what is your question exactly?

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #4,365 of 16,107

And what is your question exactly?

My question is, how are people doing it? Surely there will be a delay with a 3 way crossover.

I work at Cyrus Audio, and we mainly design and build amplifiers. I have no knowledge of IEMs and customs. I tried the ACS and was blown away by their sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back