Home-Made IEMs
Nov 30, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #4,052 of 16,107

ive added glitter powder to my shells!
Ps.. what should i do if theres a hole in the shell? If i cure it further it just gets thicker... i got really uneven thickness for ths shells

Nice! They look great!

It depends on how your UV lamp is set up - if possible, it may help to note where the shells are thinnest and try to apply extra light/time to these areas on the next set of shells with something similar to a flashlight. If you're using a UV box, keeping constant rotation of the shells really help with even exposure. If you use any plastics/glass to place the mold on while it is curing in the box, check that the plastic/glass doesn't absorb UV, which would hurt your cure in certain places.

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #4,054 of 16,107
  Does anyone know the difference between UV-Polymerization and Acrylic Technique (cold and hot) technique for creating shells?
Which is is more favorable for us creating CIEM?

I'm up for creating acrylic shells at the moment, not silicone.

Hot techniques require oven or microwave which drivers won't survive so you may cross them out.

You could try using cold technique with powder but that will leave you with solid shell that you'd have to process. UV is much easier and faster.

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #4,055 of 16,107
I've done both hot and cold for years. The only reasons for the hot are allergies and putting a real silicone canal on the mold (not just what everyone refers to as a silicone canal). With the hot (heat cure method you will have to hollow the shell manually. With the cold method you don't have that issue but it takes a lot of time to learn how to do it properly for the perfect shell thickness. UV cure is the preferred method by most because it's easier, faster and you can reuse material. Molds made with uv material aren't as durable as molds done properly with the cold pour method.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #4,056 of 16,107

Hot techniques require oven or microwave which drivers won't survive so you may cross them out.

You could try using cold technique with powder but that will leave you with solid shell that you'd have to process. UV is much easier and faster.

I've done both hot and cold for years. The only reasons for the hot are allergies and putting a real silicone canal on the mold (not just what everyone refers to as a silicone canal). With the hot (heat cure method you will have to hollow the shell manually. With the cold method you don't have that issue but it takes a lot of time to learn how to do it properly for the perfect shell thickness. UV cure is the preferred method by most because it's easier, faster and you can reuse material. Molds made with uv material aren't as durable as molds done properly with the cold pour method.

Thank you guys for the info. It's great to have professional guidance and insights here.

I see this thread is coming alive lately, all of you posting pics and talking about builds really makes me want to start, unfortunately I am waiting for my UV Lamp to arrive from china so I could finally start building something...boy the waiting is a killer
So far I have gathered everything I need but got hold because of this freaking UV Lamp...I hope it will arrive in working condition soon ...

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #4,057 of 16,107
Very big thanks for the response.

I completely missed that the cold/hot polymerization didn't need UV-Light to harden (polymeraize) and judging all lab videos i've seen from UE, 1964, Westone, all uses UV light to harden to a shell.

So a reason to use cold/hot polymerization is to do a two component shell with the tip as silicone and rest as acrylic? I guess this is not possible with UV-Polymeraztion?

ForceMajeure, i'm in the same boat as you. You will see some more activity from me here now. This is a really fun project.

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #4,058 of 16,107
You can do a soft canal with UV but to put on a true silicone canal (no one does for CIEM's), it has to be done with heat cure acrylic. My advise is to stay away from the soft canals, they are not as durable on UV cured acrylic, besides an acrylic shell can be made to be just as comfortable.

As far as I know Westone is the only one still using the old cold pour acrylic method entirely (I only do it on special cases). There are only a couple of us around that we're doing this when cold pour was "mainstream", Light cure has taken over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back