Home-Made IEMs
Jul 14, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #3,843 of 16,072
Wow, that looks really nice. I think I might get one to try it out!

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #3,844 of 16,072
 The true response as heard by the human ear is a combination of the blue and red curves.

http://vibrolabs.com/blogs/articles/36766977-veritas-quality-and-consistency

Not sure where this's coming from.

And measurement wise, their graph lacks the typical peak @ 2.7khz, not to mention the steep roll off of ~30db/octave.

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #3,847 of 16,072

Hey tranhieu, Knowles has some great resources posted on DigiKey that discuss this. Every IEM builder should watch these.

http://www.digikey.ca/suppliers/ca/knowles-acoustics.page

Thanks!
Luke

So what you are saying? Your coupler means to be a hybrid of IEC711 and 0.4cc? But the graphs presented on the website doesn't seem to be supporting that.
Just to be clear I'm not attacking you or anything. I just want to know more about your product. I have GRAS IEC 711 and would be interested in finding out some alternatives, not for official measurement but for fun, why not...

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #3,848 of 16,072
Hey, no worries! I thought you were talking about how Knowles presents their frequency response data. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to talk about my products on Head-Fi (not a sponsor), but I'm happy to discuss this via email or in PM. Thanks. :)

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #3,850 of 16,072

http://vibrolabs.com/blogs/articles

As you can see, data from Knowles is -22dB, but Veritas is -40dB.
So Veritas is not a IEC 60318-4 compatible coupler.

Hey quadkiller, that's correct. Vertias is not IEC 60318-4 compliant, but that's not the point. Those tools exist and they are too expensive for enthusiasts.

The IEC specification was my bible while designing the Veritas. My two goals are to keep it low cost and to keep measurements consistent across all units.

My goal here is to get more people building IEMs!

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #3,853 of 16,072
Hi, i have read around 230 pages of this thread or so. I have all of the components and supplies to make my own CIEMs. I have taken my impressions and Im not sure exactly how to trim them before making the molds to pour the acrylic in. If someone could explain exactly what I should trim off/keep or has a link to a thread that explains it well that would be great. Thank so much!

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #3,855 of 16,072

Hi, I am in dental school, so i have all of the necessary lab equipment to make and process these acrylic ear pieces. I have the tubing, dreve acrylic, and thermoplast to make the shells. I have some silicone to make the negative molds. In the dental lab I have a UV light curing matching that has a rotating table to cure the acrylic. I have a few drivers to try out: CI, TWFK, DTEC, GK and a few others. Ive gotten a few cables to figure out exactly what I want to use. Also i picked up some litz wire thats very small in a green/red colors. Also I have a huge array of dental burs and polishing kits to polish everything correctly. Only thing I am missing is some Caps and resistors if I am going to do any crossover stuff. But currently I am not sure how to go about trimming the impressions correctly. Does anyone have any pictures of their impressions after they have been trimmed correctly so that I can see what Im going for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back