Home-Made IEMs
Mar 15, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #3,421 of 15,989
Are they made of plastic or acrylic? I wonder if it will stick to acrylic...

I'm not sure, but doesn't all plastics bond with acrylic more or less. Perhaps I'll have to use some bonding between, or some superglue.

My first finished shells are done, some final finishing still to be done but overall I'm really pleased. Great glossy shine, not totally transparent but I'm satisfied. I drilled out the acrylic earpieces to shells, sandblasted them and then used a light curing lacquer to get the final glossy look.

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #3,422 of 15,989
  Can anyone recommend the drivers and filters for a balanced sound with slightly forward mids and airy trebles? I'm currently thinking of using the GKs and maybe a dedicated WBFK for the treble.

Thanks.

I think you will get rather harsh highs from that combination, you will have dual tweeters since GK already has a WBFK driver. 

try this, CI for base, sunon 3300 for mids, WBFK for high. put a red filter on the CI and a brown filter on the 3300 and a 2.2uf cap on the positive lied of WBFK.

I am working on a similar build using dual CI, my first attempt was a failure though, after I finished assembling it, I discovered that the acoustic tubing on my CI's had collapsed. Perhaps I will take a cue from sony when I rebuild and try inserting springs into the tubing to prevent collapse. It is challenging to cram all these drivers into the shell, especially the dual CI. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #3,423 of 15,989
Surprisingly my failures are always from tube leakage. The tubes don't seem to seal well with UV resin so I resort to super glue.

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #3,424 of 15,989
  Surprisingly my failures are always from tube leakage. The tubes don't seem to seal well with UV resin so I resort to super glue.

What kind of tubing do you use? I seem to have some trouble finding any specific for audio use. Is it a 2mm inner dia. to be able to fit any damper inside I should be looking for? Perhaps I can get hold of a PVC 2.0/2.7mm (id/od) isolationtube, will it do?

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #3,425 of 15,989
  What kind of tubing do you use? I seem to have some trouble finding any specific for audio use. Is it a 2mm inner dia. to be able to fit any damper inside I should be looking for? Perhaps I can get hold of a PVC 2.0/2.7mm (id/od) isolationtube, will it do?

Look on Westone Hearing Aid supply website you can find any kind of tube there. You can use a small section of bigger tube and put the damper into it then use the smaller tube so it fits on the driver kind of like a coupler.

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #3,428 of 15,989
Has anyone here tried a high frequency driver that they liked more than the ED29689/ 2389?

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #3,429 of 15,989
Wouldn't the Sonion 3300 be more suitable for bass, as their frequency goes the lowest?

I thought the CI's graph looked better on the low end?

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #3,434 of 15,989
I currently have two configurations of drivers, which I don't know which to pick. I'm looking for a neutral sound with airy high and lightly pronounced mids.

Sonion 33A007(3300) + DTEC + WBFK
or
Sonion 33A007(3300) + TWFK

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back