Home-Made IEMs
Mar 11, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #3,407 of 15,989
  They look great but still there's problem with soldering on the socket pins. If they were hollow there would be no problem but now I have to solder the wire onto the pin (which doesn't seem correct?) and then put on some shrinking sleeve. 

Well it seems it doesn't really matter how it looks... Since I can't effing solder!! 
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #3,408 of 15,989
Just noticed that 1964 are achieving a very substantial  large-bore=>small-bore  ratio with the tubing on their ADEL module:

Or perhaps they are using a moulded plastic manifold, but I can't quite see a definite junction between the two, if that is the case.

Or maybe the ADEL module sits in an unusually deep solid acrylic portion of the shell, with that void (at the junction of ADEL module and it's dedicated soundtube) being moulded or drilled-out of the solid acrylic.

I recall Starkey (now M-Fidelity) using what appear to be custom-moulded sound tubes, on the SA-43, which is a nice way of maintaining consistency across numerous customers' pairs of CIEMs. It's always struck me as strange that more CIEM vendors don't use this approach, unless BAs have a less consistent batch frequency response than one would hope. Perhaps we will see more of this approach, with the increasing momentum of 3D printing technology (in which case, it might be done as an integral feature of the printed CIEM shell itself)

...whilst I'm on the topic of peculiarities in CIEM construction, I've never noticed any CIEM maker (professional or DIY) doing what Sony did with their soundtubes, here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/739725/sony-announces-the-just-ear-brand-of-custom-iems/60#post_10993232

Anyone else have examples of such peculiarities not frequently seen in mainstream CIEMs?

I do appreciate that this is a DIY CIEM thread, but some cross-germination of ideas can be a positive thing, and I don't see why commercial makers should have all the fun.

In that spirit, here's some more food-for-thought, to get the old grey cells whirring:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/753632/introducing-the-worlds-first-lear-patented-nss-natural-stereo-sound-earphone-technology

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #3,409 of 15,989
I remember that was something to prevent the tube from sharp bending?

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #3,411 of 15,989

Well, that was my interpretation, too, but I've never seen anyone from Sony confirm it.

IMHO, don't take Sony as an example.
Their CIEMs uses the Sonion 2356 for the highs... and it is not the best armature for that register, by far.

If that 2000$ high-end CIEMs don't use the best armatures available (claimed by BA the manufacturer), it is because they are bad engineered.

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #3,412 of 15,989

IMHO, don't take Sony as an example.
Their CIEMs uses the Sonion 2356 for the highs... and it is not the best armature for that register, by far.

If that 2000$ high-end CIEMs don't use the best armatures available (claimed by BA the manufacturer), it is because they are bad engineered.

Perhaps.

But I wasn't really discussing Sony in relation to BAs.

I just noticed the unusual coiled-wire-within-sound-tubing approach, that's all. It's sometimes interesting to broaden the discussion to include tertiary aspects of CIEM manufacture, in addition to the core bread-&-butter of BA choice, electrical configuration, passive filter configuration, and shell-creation.

I once owned a silicone CIEM that had several of the silicone soundtubes badly buckled, and I was told it makes no difference to the SQ, which, personally, I do not believe, since the cross-sectional area of the bore will vary under such circumstances.

Although the Sony very probably uses plastic soundtubes, rather than more flexible silicone soundtubes, I can nonetheless see some logic in using a coiled spring-wire inside the tubing, to reinforce it's circular cross-sectional shape. However, I wonder if it might influence the sound a little, too (not necessarily intentionally), given that it might, perhaps, increase 'friction' upon the passage of air through the tubing.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #3,413 of 15,989
Wasn't that Sony tube just a spring or some sort inside/outside the tube acting as protection though.

I added some shell faceplates on my mock UERM :p

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #3,414 of 15,989

Perhaps.

But I wasn't really discussing Sony in relation to BAs.

I just noticed the unusual coiled-wire-within-sound-tubing approach, that's all. It's sometimes interesting to broaden the discussion to include tertiary aspects of CIEM manufacture, in addition to the core bread-&-butter of BA choice, electrical configuration, passive filter configuration, and shell-creation.

I once owned a silicone CIEM that had several of the silicone soundtubes badly buckled, and I was told it makes no difference to the SQ, which, personally, I do not believe, since the cross-sectional area of the bore will vary under such circumstances.

Although the Sony very probably uses plastic soundtubes, rather than more flexible silicone soundtubes, I can nonetheless see some logic in using a coiled spring-wire inside the tubing, to reinforce it's circular cross-sectional shape. However, I wonder if it might influence the sound a little, too (not necessarily intentionally), given that it might, perhaps, increase 'friction' upon the passage of air through the tubing.

The anti-pinch spring is located only in the dynamic driver tube, and bass register is not as much affected as the mids/highs by this "tortured sound tube" complex impedance.

Here we can select the best drivers (claimed by the manufacturer) and integrate them perfectly in highly personalized customs... to reach the maximum performance.

Sony try to find an easy and repeatable way to sell customs everywhere on the planet with the minimal technical skills (molded directly by hifi sellers)... to exist on the market.

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #3,415 of 15,989

Sony try to find an easy and repeatable way to sell customs everywhere on the planet with the minimal technical skills (molded directly by hifi sellers)... to exist on the market.

Do you know this for certain?

I find that interesting, if Sony are allowing their product to be made by individual sellers. That would be a heck of a risk for such a big name to take.

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #3,416 of 15,989

Do you know this for certain?

I find that interesting, if Sony are allowing their product to be made by individual sellers. That would be a heck of a risk for such a big name to take.

No,
But the conception seem to privilegiate this theory.

Only two drivers, a wide band armature (why not a tweeter) with a open dynamic driver (why not a closed one for isolation and why not rolled off higher to match a tweeter armature like the 1plus2)

Because they need the widest earcanal impedance range compatibility as possible... to match everyone morphology with a standardized product (very, very, very hard to do...)

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #3,417 of 15,989
Dose any one here see the point of balanced armature burn in, I hear no changes after hundreds of hours of listening time. I have been following the JH Layla and Angie forums and I am really getting a kick out of everyone stating how much the sound changes after 100+ hours. I could see a slight change maybe after a crap load of hours from metal fatigue, and I mean ALOT of hours.  I have never experienced any changes to my ears with BA's

If this were true an there is a big difference couldn't you measure before and after burn in on a frequency chart and notice a difference?

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #3,418 of 15,989
  Dose any one here see the point of balanced armature burn in, I hear no changes after hundreds of hours of listening time. I have been following the JH Layla and Angie forums and I am really getting a kick out of everyone stating how much the sound changes after 100+ hours. I could see a slight change maybe after a crap load of hours from metal fatigue, and I mean ALOT of hours.  I have never experienced any changes to my ears with BA's

If this were true an there is a big difference couldn't you measure before and after burn in on a frequency chart and notice a difference?

I would bet that the audible differences arise from their brain adapting to the sounds.

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #3,419 of 15,989
  I would bet that the audible differences arise from their brain adapting to the sounds.

This is quite true actually. Though sometimes the sound does change as dirt or dust builds up in the filters which I have also experienced.

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #3,420 of 15,989
I received my connectors from Null Audio yesterday, tiny little things :) They fit prefectly together, with a little snap and it seems to grip tight.

But I'm not really sure how to proceed with the pins inside the shell. It's two solid pins, am I just suppose to solder the wires straight on to it or is there any other way I'm supposed to do it?
On the hollow pins one seems to be colored a bit differently inside, is this only to match the correct wires?

Are they made of plastic or acrylic? I wonder if it will stick to acrylic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back