Home-Made IEMs
Mar 8, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #3,391 of 15,989
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever experimented with a larger-bore chamber placed somewhere approximately mid-way within the length of a soundtube? I'm not really sure what effect this might have upon the sound.

Mar 8, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #3,392 of 15,989
  Out of curiosity, has anyone ever experimented with a larger-bore chamber placed somewhere approximately mid-way within the length of a soundtube? I'm not really sure what effect this might have upon the sound.

That's supposedly meant to act as a low pass according to a search online? 

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #3,395 of 15,989
Hi!
Please bear with me for my lack of knowledge.
Im just new on headfi and also a newbie maker of ciem. Ive been reading your discussions and threads. I am learning a lot. But as a guy who doesnt have any background on electronics or what not, It's hard for me to follow discussions that are not in layman's term.

I'd like to ask for your help. I have a pair of CI 30120 and a pair of DTEC 30265.

Ive been reading reviews and they say that CI is best as a woofer and DTEC as mids. As of now these are the only drivers I have. How do I setup CI as woofer and Dtec for mids and tweeter. What values should I use and how do I setup crossovers for it.

Big big thanks in advance!

Sounds like you've been shopping at LunaShop-:)

Trying to pair a DTEC with a CI isn't worth the effort, in my opinion. The DTEC is so powerful that it'll take some effort to get it to play nice with the CI and you won't have any hi-end to enjoy. Get yourself a pair of WBFKs. Then you could have a pretty decent sound if your paired together the CI + WBFK fairly easily. The DTEC requires some skill to handle because it's so loud and will drown out a single WBFK.

I do like the DTEC. If you can believe it, I have a a prototype configuration with a CI+DTEC+DTEC+WBFK that sounds kind of amazing to my ears. And yes, it's very loud.

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #3,396 of 15,989

Isn't that a "horn", more-or-less? Horns enhance higher frequencies if I'm not mistaken.

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #3,398 of 15,989
Isn't that a "horn", more-or-less? Horns enhance higher frequencies if I'm not mistaken.

My interpretation of a horn is that the bore increases until the soundwave reaches the outside world (i.e. the ear canal)

i.e.                    small bore => larger bore => even larger bore => exits CIEM into the ear canal.

But I meant         small bore => large bore => small bore => exits CIEM into the ear canal.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that would operate as a horn, would it?
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 8, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #3,399 of 15,989
  @Xymordos - ARTA - CRTL+C on measument window and you get clear shot of graph - you don't have to screen cap you whole screen. :wink:

OHH..so that's how you guys export it as an image. Been trying to figure that out for a while now.
How'd you calibrate it? I'm very curious, for obvious reasons.

Got the original seller to tune a USB sound card for it since the one on my laptop tests weirdly.

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #3,402 of 15,989
Trying to pair a DTEC with a CI isn't worth the effort, in my opinion. The DTEC is so powerful that it'll take some effort to get it to play nice with the CI and you won't have any hi-end to enjoy. Get yourself a pair of WBFKs. Then you could have a pretty decent sound if your paired together the CI + WBFK fairly easily. The DTEC requires some skill to handle because it's so loud and will drown out a single WBFK.

IMHO this is not true. If you compare CI and DTEC with the same impedance CI is louder. DTEC has different frequency response and require different damping. You can easily use CI with 680 Ohm damper while DTEC will work good with 2200 and more  Ohm dampers.

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #3,403 of 15,989
I received my connectors from Null Audio yesterday, tiny little things :) They fit prefectly together, with a little snap and it seems to grip tight.

But I'm not really sure how to proceed with the pins inside the shell. It's two solid pins, am I just suppose to solder the wires straight on to it or is there any other way I'm supposed to do it?
On the hollow pins one seems to be colored a bit differently inside, is this only to match the correct wires?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back