Home-Made IEMs
Mar 3, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #3,346 of 15,989
  I don't want to use MMCX since all of my upgrade cables are using the 0.78mm pins. It will be too pricey and annoying to change them all to MMCX. I've used some very high quality 0.78mm ones before, but then shipping from China to Hong Kong isn't that cheap too as they have to get past immigration and taxes. 

Maybe here: http://www.colsanmicro.com/components/cables/

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #3,347 of 15,989
  But if I need to find some nice 2 pin connectors male/female at Mouser, how do I filter it out... There are 12.000 connectors and I don't know what to search for?

you can use these sockets  http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=206071-1virtualkey57100000virtualkey571-2060711

keep in mind that you will need to order 4 of them for 1 set.

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #3,348 of 15,989
Those are some very very expensive sockets LOL

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #3,349 of 15,989
  you can use these sockets  http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=206071-1virtualkey57100000virtualkey571-2060711

keep in mind that you will need to order 4 of them for 1 set.

Thanks, I actually found these as well yesterday. But first I'll try the connectors/sockets ordered from Null Audio, which was shipped today :) 

Next problem is the acoustic tubes, I don't really know where I can get them. Does Microsonic ship to Europe? I also looked at Audiotronics.it but the website is really not that great, hard to find anything there.

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #3,353 of 15,989
  How do you compare MMCX vs 2-pin, except for the obvious pricedifference. Which ones do you prefer? Do the MMCx attach to the socket enough?

I switched to MMCX because I got tired of the cables detaching from the IEM to easily. The MMCX connectors hold on to the cable strongly. Of course it depends on the cable, I have sone 2 pin cables that never accidentally detach and I have a MMCX cable that doesn't want to stay connected.

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #3,354 of 15,989
I use MMCX for all my cables and IEMs because of the seemingly vast difference in 2 pin connectors.  There are only 2 types of mmcx: male and female.  That's good enough for me.  Okay, there are right ones too but let's not argue about semantics.  
wink_face.gif

Also, if you have to buy individual pins and sockets, I would think it would be a pain in the dupa to align them the same way for the cable and the jack in the IEM shell.

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #3,356 of 15,989
Does anybody know how this is achieved?

Don't know 100% for sure, but it looks like standard translucent acrylic, with some fine glitter added after the liquid acrylic has been placed on the faceplate mould, and then carefully swirled around, so as to not spread the glitter evenly throughout the entire faceplate.

I suppose it's possible some lighter translucent blue acrylic may have been stirred in, too, to increase the variation between different areas...

Interested to hear others' interpretations, too.

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #3,357 of 15,989

Also, if you have to buy individual pins and sockets, I would think it would be a pain in the dupa to align them the same way for the cable and the jack in the IEM shell.

It isn't all that hard to align individual pins, just stick them on the end of the cable you will be using and create a bridge between the two pins using a dab of uv acrylic. That gives you a single unit to work with just like any other pre made socket.

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #3,358 of 15,989
Magic....plain and simple.

Seriously, though, I think those guys over at Noble use some slow set resin similar to Alumilite along with metallic powders. Their top/gloss coat is "skin safe" but they make no such claims about what is below the top coat. I know for a fact that many exotic wood species can cause skin irritation and that some of the woods they use for their Prestige line are in that category (e.g. cocobolo)

Also, they do have a good camera guy/girl and lighting to make various aspects of the design pop!

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #3,360 of 15,989
I definitely should do some research with polishing acrylic. Doesn't sound like it requires a big investment of $$ to try a few things.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions about polishing compounds specific to acrylic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back